News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Christmas Music Already

Started by roadman65, November 17, 2021, 01:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Another thing I want to point out is that Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Holly Jolly Christmas, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, and probably one or two that I'm forgetting have identical chord progressions outside the bridge, and you can sing Meow Mix to all of them.

edit: forgot Jingle Bell Rock
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2021, 12:06:17 PM
Another thing I want to point out is that Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Holly Jolly Christmas, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, and probably one or two that I'm forgetting have identical chord progressions outside the bridge, and you can sing Meow Mix to all of them.

Now that explains why Christmas music feels so samey.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2021, 12:06:17 PM

edit: forgot Jingle Bell Rock

:-D :-D

Billy F 1988

Oh, for crike sakes. Here I go into the next work week and I already have to deal with the marathon of Christmas drudgery tunes day after day! Can't this shit wait until the week of Christmas?! Why do certain stores have to play that crap right after Thanksgiving?! I mean, my own grocery store in Missoula, a former Safeway store on Broadway, may already be flipping to that crap next week letting it all go clear until Christmas.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Henry

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 27, 2021, 11:46:53 PM
Oh, for crike sakes. Here I go into the next work week and I already have to deal with the marathon of Christmas drudgery tunes day after day! Can't this shit wait until the week of Christmas?! Why do certain stores have to play that crap right after Thanksgiving?! I mean, my own grocery store in Missoula, a former Safeway store on Broadway, may already be flipping to that crap next week letting it all go clear until Christmas.
Until 2001, just about every radio station in North America only went all-Christmas on the week of the holiday, and prior to that they would mix in a Christmas tune or two to go with their regular hourly playlist. The main reason for the change was to provide comfort for those who were still getting over the shock and horror that was 9/11. And apparently, that worked because the change became permanent in 2002.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on November 30, 2021, 11:21:40 AM
Until 2001, just about every radio station in North America only went all-Christmas on the week of the holiday, and prior to that they would mix in a Christmas tune or two to go with their regular hourly playlist. The main reason for the change was to provide comfort for those who were still getting over the shock and horror that was 9/11. And apparently, that worked because the change became permanent in 2002.

Then the terrorists have won.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman65

I never thought a traditional song could be covered, but it has. Jingle Bells by Barry Manilow and Expose is a cover of Bing Crosby and Andrew Sisters version.

The arrangement and vocal keys are identical including the fast Doo Doo Do Whap, that Patti, Maxine, and Laverne done in the first version that the girls in Expose sing right after the  first Jingle Bell chorus.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Eating Valentine's Day candy on December 1 > listening to Christmas music in November
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Henry

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2021, 10:13:40 PM
I never thought a traditional song could be covered, but it has. Jingle Bells by Barry Manilow and Expose is a cover of Bing Crosby and Andrew Sisters version.

The arrangement and vocal keys are identical including the fast Doo Doo Do Whap, that Patti, Maxine, and Laverne done in the first version that the girls in Expose sing right after the  first Jingle Bell chorus.
Michael Bublé also does this, only a full key higher than the Manilow version (F vs. E-flat).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Isn't that not a cover, but a recording of a standard?

Molandfreak

If you're someone who hates Christmas music but constantly gets requests to play it from your passengers, just play this gem from the Crash Test Dummies.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 02, 2021, 01:07:18 PM

Isn't that not a cover, but a recording of a standard?

How many covers need there to be until it becomes a standard?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

D-Dey65

Hey, I just thought of a very non-traditional Christmas song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFq1_Bg2Zg

LilianaUwU

I normally hate Christmas music, but in December I can at the very least tolerate it.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 02, 2021, 09:42:03 PM
I normally hate Christmas music, but in December I can at the very least tolerate it.

With selections like << Rudolph le renne au nez rouge >> and << Je serai rentré pour Noël >> ?  :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 01, 2021, 03:08:25 PM

Nay, I recall a few stations did that even pre-9/11. Usually, it meant the station was changing formats or owners upon the new year.

vdeane

Quote from: formulanone on December 03, 2021, 08:41:43 AM

Nay, I recall a few stations did that even pre-9/11. Usually, it meant the station was changing formats or owners upon the new year.
Couldn't they change formats/owners even with only a week of Christmas music?  Not sure why it would need to be even longer when the point is to provide a buffer between the formats.  I would think that buffer could be as short as a day, even.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on December 03, 2021, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 03, 2021, 08:41:43 AM

Couldn't they change formats/owners even with only a week of Christmas music?  Not sure why it would need to be even longer when the point is to provide a buffer between the formats.  I would think that buffer could be as short as a day, even.

I guess it depends on how poor the Arbitron ratings were before the switch.

roadman65

One station I know plays some Christmas music and still normal programming. It's mainly IHeart and some Protestant base Christian Radio Stations that play it all day from Mid November until December 25 I have found.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Here in Seattle, I'm usually trying really hard to track down Christmas music. Only two (KSWD, KRWM), maybe three stations play it.

The others, such as Jack FM, the Jet, KZOK (classic rock), the End (alt rock), and others stick to their formats all year.

Henry

It used to be that only Soft AC stations (as in WLIT/Chicago and the aforementioned KSWD and KRWM/Seattle) would go all-Christmas each year. Now Classic Hits/Oldies stations do the same thing too, mainly because they continue to play the songs that AC recently shed from its playlists.

vdeane

Quote from: Henry on December 08, 2021, 10:32:43 AM
It used to be that only Soft AC stations (as in WLIT/Chicago and the aforementioned KSWD and KRWM/Seattle) would go all-Christmas each year. Now Classic Hits/Oldies stations do the same thing too, mainly because they continue to play the songs that AC recently shed from its playlists.
Some, anyways.  Classic Hits 104.1 out in Buffalo doesn't as far as I'm aware, but Sunny 102.1 in Syracuse becomes Santa 102.1.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.