Funny official route descriptions

Started by US 89, November 18, 2021, 12:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured I'd start a thread for it.

Many states have an official, legal description for state routes. Utah has one for all state routes and "federal aid routes", which can more or less be thought of as a locally maintained, mostly unsigned secondary route system. Most of these descriptions are fairly straightforward. For example, FA 1714's description reads as follows:

QuoteJct. SR-128 northerly via Old Cisco Hwy. to I-70.

Sometimes, though, some funny stuff can slip in, as is the case with FA 1700 nearby. This route begins at SR 128 south of Dewey and heads east to the Colorado border, though it has a gap as there is no bridge over the Dolores River. Apparently, whoever was surveying the mileage on 1700 did not realize it wasn't a continuous route and found this out the hard way. The official description for that route is:

QuoteJct. SR-128 northeasterly to Colorado State Line - WE TRAVELED 3.094 MILES TO THE DELORES RIVER - NO BRIDGE-WILL TALK TO COUNTY ABOUT THIS AND GET BACK TO US - Wayne stated that we will get us a map for Colorado so that we can get the milage-BROKE ROUTE

NE2

Somehow I think the first sentence is the official description and the rest is additional notes. Still funny though.

It is fordable in a Jeep:

from http://carlsjeeping.blogspot.com/2015/04/dolores-river-and-dolores-triangle.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr. Matté

Former NJ Route 69 ending in Buttzville

Quote(from url=https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/log/6.html#69]Alps[/url]) 69: From junction with Route U. S. 206, North Broad Street and Pennington Avenue, Trenton, via local streets to Trenton-Ewing corporate line, via former Route 30 to junction with Route U. S. 202 (former Route 29) in Ringoes, then coincident with Route U. S. 202 to junction with Route 12 and Route U. S. 202 at Flemington, via former Route 31 to junction with Route U. S. 46 (former Route 6), at Buttzville.

Scott5114

From Oklahoma DOT's application to AASHTO to route US-287 onto the Boise City bypass in 2012:

Explanation and Reasons for the Request: (Keep concise and pertinent.)
The new highway consturction bypass Boise City to elimitante the truck trarffic through downtown Boise City.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: US 89 on November 18, 2021, 12:17:52 AM
FA 1714's description reads as follows:

Is that this route:

I ask mostly because I've been on this road, and if so, it's a nice coincidence. 
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 18, 2021, 03:44:06 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 18, 2021, 12:17:52 AM
FA 1714's description reads as follows:

Is that this route:

I ask mostly because I've been on this road, and if so, it's a nice coincidence.

Yep. It's also old US 6/50, and despite what Google tells you, it is not and never has been SR 128.

If you're curious, you can see all this on your own by going to this website and turning on the "Fed Aid Routes" layer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.