News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which parmigiana do you prefer?

Started by Pink Jazz, September 27, 2022, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which parmigiana do you prefer?

Chicken parmigiana
10 (47.6%)
Eggplant parmigiana
5 (23.8%)
Veal parmigiana
6 (28.6%)
Other (specify)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, which parmigiana do you prefer?

I prefer chicken parmigiana myself (yes, I understand eggplant parmigiana is the only one that is truly authentic Italian). Sometimes I like chicken parmigiana with a pink Parma Rosa sauce, which I don't think would pair well with eggplant or veal.

Max Rockatansky

I'll usually eat close to anything and don't put a ton of thought into it.  I would eat all of the choices provided.

GaryV

At the place we often eat, I like their veal parm better than the chicken. Although the 2nd time I had the chicken, it was much better than the first.

kphoger

I haven't had anything other than chicken parm in quite a while.  Actually, I haven't even had chicken parm in a while.  But, given the choice, I'd probably go with veal.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 12:42:55 PM
I haven't had anything other than chicken parm in quite a while.  Actually, I haven't even had chicken parm in a while.  But, given the choice, I'd probably go with veal.

Unfortunately for you, veal parm is becoming more scarce on Italian restaurant menus. In addition to the animal cruelty issues, COVID has caused restaurants to drop items that don't sell due to food spoilage issues (plus the high cost of veal). It seems those that still have it are mostly more upscale family-owned Italian restaurants.

Henry

As someone who's traveled a lot in my lifetime and had all three along the way, my preferences are, in this order:

1. Veal
2. Chicken
3. Eggplant
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

formulanone

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 27, 2022, 12:36:55 PM
...the only one that is truly authentic Italian

Geez, we didn't even get out of the gate this time.

1. Veal - I feel like we bring this up every six months around here
2. Chicken
9999999999. Eggplant. Because it looks unpalatable every I see it; tastes like neither egg nor plant.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 27, 2022, 01:06:04 PM
Unfortunately for you

meh.  As I said, I haven't had it in a while.  That should be a clue that I tend to order other things anyway.

animal cruelty issues

I still only halfway get this.  I mean, we raise livestock for the explicit purpose of slaughtering and eating them, so I think it's strange that people draw the line at veal.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 01:45:49 PM
Unfortunately for you

meh.  As I said, I haven't had it in a while.  That should be a clue that I tend to order other things anyway.

animal cruelty issues

I still only halfway get this.  I mean, we raise livestock for the explicit purpose of slaughtering and eating them, so I think it's strange that people draw the line at veal.

I see it as mostly a first world problem.  We had slaughtered goat on our recent trip to Mexico.  Said goat was kept at the family home mostly in a cage.  It was fed and kept tender in anticipation of being served as a delicacy meal for us.  Who were we to raise objection to something like that?

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

I voted for eggplant parmigiana.  I also like eggplant in ratatouille.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jp the roadgeek

Unfortunately for you, veal parm is becoming more scarce on Italian restaurant menus. In addition to the animal cruelty issues, COVID has caused restaurants to drop items that don't sell due to food spoilage issues (plus the high cost of veal). It seems those that still have it are mostly more upscale family-owned Italian restaurants.

1000% true about veal becoming scarce.  I've rarely seen it on Italian restaurant menus anywhere in the past 5-10 years.  Plus it does have the stigma of PETA activists frowning upon it.  I remember being in high school and an animal rights activist speaking to an all school meeting trying to get veal removed from the dining hall menus, and that was 30 years ago.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Scott5114

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 28, 2022, 06:18:31 PM

1000% true about veal becoming scarce.  I've rarely seen it on Italian restaurant menus anywhere in the past 5-10 years.  Plus it does have the stigma of PETA activists frowning upon it.  I remember being in high school and an animal rights activist speaking to an all school meeting trying to get veal removed from the dining hall menus, and that was 30 years ago.

I'm not sure if you went to a particularly fancy high school or if there was a drastic drop in the quality of school lunches between 1990 and 2000....
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kirbykart

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 28, 2022, 06:23:24 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 28, 2022, 06:18:31 PM

I'm not sure if you went to a particularly fancy high school or if there was a drastic drop in the quality of school lunches between 1990 and 2000....
I'm thinking the former.

wanderer2575

Eat mor chikin.

I don't eat chicken parm often (I'm a sucker for peppers and sausage if it's on the menu), but we stopped at an Italian restaurant in Strongsville OH a couple weeks ago on our way home from Baltimore and I had theirs.  It was really good (still crispy even with the sauce) and really massive.  I ate the whole thing because I didn't want the car to stink with the leftovers for the rest of the drive. 

Pink Jazz

I wonder, what does anyone think about parmigiana with a pink Parma Rosa sauce? Parma Rosa sauce is basically a blend of marinara and alfredo (similar to a vodka sauce minus the vodka). I think it would pair well with chicken parmigiana, but not with eggplant or veal. I sometimes have my chicken parmigiana with it.

CapeCodder

I like all three, but when it comes to subs I find chicken parm to be the best.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.