News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Control "cities" that aren't cities

Started by huskeroadgeek, February 13, 2011, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on July 20, 2021, 03:27:24 PM
I'm pretty sure NC-55 goes through Cary's city limits...

Kind of like the Kickapoo Turnpike goes through Oklahoma City. 

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 20, 2021, 03:36:09 PM
It does, multiple times, and if you're going in the direction tolbs17 cited, you pass through Cary city limits before reaching Apex.

Apex was considered out in the sticks when I lived in Durham (before tolbs17 was born, according to his profile).

But locals here still don't think of Cary being anywhere near NC-55.  Ten years ago, there were only a few fingers of Cary reaching out that far.   But nowadays, the stretch of NC-55 between the Triangle Expressway (Toll NC-540) and US-64 is mostly in Cary, even though the center of Morrisville is closer.  In fact, most of this area was originally in the Morrisville zip code (27560) but has now been moved into the western Cary zip code (27519).  Much of this area was in the unincorporated town of Carpenter before Morrisville and Cary got into the vicious war over annexation.

ethanhopkin14

Other Desert Cities on I-10 east in California

The Grand Canyon is used on AZ-64 northbound.  As is a few mileage signs on I-40 despite not going there. 

tolbs17

Looks like the other thread got deleted instead of merged...

SkyPesos

tolbs17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 20, 2021, 06:28:26 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 20, 2021, 03:27:24 PM
I'm pretty sure NC-55 goes through Cary's city limits...

Kind of like the Kickapoo Turnpike goes through Oklahoma City. 

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 20, 2021, 03:36:09 PM
It does, multiple times, and if you're going in the direction tolbs17 cited, you pass through Cary city limits before reaching Apex.

Apex was considered out in the sticks when I lived in Durham (before tolbs17 was born, according to his profile).

But locals here still don't think of Cary being anywhere near NC-55.  Ten years ago, there were only a few fingers of Cary reaching out that far.   But nowadays, the stretch of NC-55 between the Triangle Expressway (Toll NC-540) and US-64 is mostly in Cary, even though the center of Morrisville is closer.  In fact, most of this area was originally in the Morrisville zip code (27560) but has now been moved into the western Cary zip code (27519).  Much of this area was in the unincorporated town of Carpenter before Morrisville and Cary got into the vicious war over annexation.
It used to say Apex if you go back on the timeline.

Compare this sign and see the huge difference.

ilpt4u

tolbs17

mrsman

Does anyone know of a circumstance where an entire county was used in place of a control city?

Reading another thread on control cities where the topic of using states in the Chicago area naturally came up.  Indiana is of course the control for eastbound 80, 90, and 94 through most of the Chicago area.  Of course, it is somewhat unsatisfying to list a whole state as a control, while it is difficult to list cities since there is no big enough city at the point where all the routes converge and then diverge.  After the divergence, 94 east to Detroit, 65 south to Indianapolis, and 80/90 to (Toledo) Ohio*.  But what would be good to use while still west of that point on either 90 or 80/94.

Perhaps signing for Lake County IN, while still within IL would make sense.  I wonder if there is any precedent for signing a county as a control on freeway signage.  Has anyone seen a county being signed as a control city?

My own prefernce would probably still be to list both Detroit and Toledo* as controls on EB 80/94 and 90

* My personal preference would be to replace Toledo with South Bend for the entire area. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: mrsman on October 21, 2021, 03:44:43 PM
Does anyone know of a circumstance where an entire county was used in place of a control city?
"St Charles County" on MO 370 WB

US20IL64

Reading another thread on control cities where the topic of using states in the Chicago area naturally came up.  Indiana is of course the control for eastbound 80, 90, and 94 through most of the Chicago area.  Of course, it is somewhat unsatisfying to list a whole state as a control, while it is difficult to list cities since there is no big enough city at the point where all the routes converge and then diverge.  After the divergence, 94 east to Detroit, 65 south to Indianapolis, and 80/90 to (Toledo) Ohio*.  But what would be good to use while still west of that point on either 90 or 80/94.

Perhaps signing for Lake County IN, while still within IL would make sense.  I wonder if there is any precedent for signing a county as a control on freeway signage.  Has anyone seen a county being signed as a control city?

My own prefernce would probably still be to list both Detroit and Toledo* as controls on EB 80/94 and 90

* My personal preference would be to replace Toledo with South Bend for the entire area.

Indiana works for me on the control signs for heading eastbound. Around the Chicago area "Indiana" in conversations usually refers to NW IN. Like New Jersey or Connecticut in NYC region. Most drivers head to the Dunes, or other towns/sites there.

And, other NW IN counties may object to using Lake. Gary used to appear back when it was more populous. South Bend may be OK, but IN is fine.

ilpt4u

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 21, 2021, 04:08:26 PM

Indiana works for me on the control signs for heading eastbound. Around the Chicago area "Indiana" in conversations usually refers to NW IN. Like New Jersey or Connecticut in NYC region. Most drivers head to the Dunes, or other towns/sites there.

And, other NW IN counties may object to using Lake. Gary used to appear back when it was more populous. South Bend may be OK, but IN is fine.
Not to mention, I-65 breaks off towards Indy in Lake County, and I always felt like signing "Indiana"  was at least a partial nod to Indianapolis from Chicago via 80, 90, 94, and 294, in addition to the more northerly destinations along 80/90 and 94

SkyPesos

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 21, 2021, 09:06:11 PM
Not to mention, I-65 breaks off towards Indy in Lake County, and I always felt like signing "Indiana"  was at least a partial nod to Indianapolis from Chicago via 80, 90, 94, and 294, in addition to the more northerly destinations along 80/90 and 94
I used to be against "Indiana" as the EB control city in Chicago, until I realized that it signifies the connection to I-65 and Indianapolis by signing the whole state. Imo, it's the best option, as signing "Gary" is equivalent to signing East St Louis in St Louis, or Camden in Philadelphia.

US20IL64

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 21, 2021, 09:20:00 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on October 21, 2021, 09:06:11 PM
I used to be against "Indiana" as the EB control city in Chicago, until I realized that it signifies the connection to I-65 and Indianapolis by signing the whole state. Imo, it's the best option, as signing "Gary" is equivalent to signing East St Louis in St Louis, or Camden in Philadelphia.

Thanks for adding more info. Using IN covers folks going to Indy, Evansville, and even Louisville/Nashville. And E. St. Louis used to be a control city, but is now in same vein as Gary.

Wisconsin works same way, many on 90 or 94 out of Chicago land, are heading to points in that state. Milwaukee works interchangeably on I-94.

tolbs17

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.