News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

WV Turnpike lays out detours

Started by SP Cook, May 02, 2012, 02:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Non-MUTCD signage as shown in article.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/201204170236

Basicly more fall out from a, IMHO, management failure during a snow storm in 2009, when people were left stranded for upwards of 20 hours.

From the N/E perspective.

Detour "A" is to go up I-79 N to Flatwoods and then down US 19/Corridor L S back to Beckley.  It should be noted that elevations on Corridor L are significantly greater than the Turnpike and it generally has more snow. 

Detour "B" is a short deal that involves exiting at the US 60 E Belle exit and then following 60 to the Admiral Lopez Bridge.

Detour "C" is to take the Corridor L exit and then US 19 S (a surface street) through Beckley to I-64 W back to the Turnpike.

Detour "D" is to take I-64 E at the end of the 64/77 multiplex, then exit onto US 19 S, reentering the Turnpike at Camp Creek. 

Detour "E" is the whopper.  Take the above mentioned I-64 E all the way to Lewisburg (which would include Sandstone Mountain), then the 2-lane US 219 S to Narrows, Virginia, then US 460 W/Corridor Q. 

hbelkins

That makes my head hurt.

Thankfully I know my way around that area well enough to know better than to take those signed detours.

If the turnpike is blocked between Beckley and Princeton, I'm using US 19. If it's blocked between Kanawha City and Beckley, I know that I can use WV 94 to WV 3. No reason 18-wheelers can't use that latter detour route, because coal is hauled on it.

You'd have to be nuts to go all the way to Sutton and down through Speedtrapville, or all the way to Lewisburg and wind your way down 219 into Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

Thanks for this post. I saw those signs on I-79 and was wondering this week. See while geeks us Road Geeks can be useful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.