Toll Roads that you have Shunpiked

Started by Avalanchez71, May 18, 2021, 12:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I remember when Jake told me we were the ones who were putting people in danger for driving too close to the limit.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Revive 755

* PA Turnpike using I-68

* Indiana Toll Road multiple times, usually I-94 is at least partially involved.

* Kansas Turnpike using K-10 and US 24 (can't remember how I went through the Lawrence area since this was before the South Lawrence Trafficway was built).

* Ohio Turnpike west of Cleveland via OH 2

* Chicago Skyway using I-94 and the 130th/Brainard corridor to access the Indiana Toll Road via US 41.  I think I also used 95th once to pick up the Toll Road at the state line.

* I-88 multiple times using IL 2, IL 38, US 30, IL 64, I-80, or Perry Road eastward from Exit 93 on I-39.

* I-90/Jane Addams Tollway multiple times, US 20 is frequently involved in at least part of the route.  Back before tolls were collected at the Genoa Road exit I would frequently switch to US 20 at Belvidere to save a $1.50 and stop for gas.

* Tri-State Tollway multiple times.  For the northern section I've commonly some combination of IL 53, Lake Cook Road, and US 41, sometimes just US 41 and local routes to save a $1.40 at the Waukegan Toll.  If time isn't a concern I've used US 45 and IL 83; US 12 and IL 59, or some combination of county roads when heading towards Wisconsin.  For the southern half I've used IL 83 and some combination of local roads or braved traffic through the Chicago loop.

* I-355 multiple times using IL 53, IL 59, IL 83, or local roads (frequently Finley Road, Belmont Road, 63rd Street, and Lemont Road).

sprjus4

Quote from: ctkatz on May 22, 2021, 11:31:51 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 21, 2021, 09:24:34 AM
Quote from: ctkatz on May 21, 2021, 09:11:25 AM
I shunpike the kansas turnpike by using i 65, 74, and 80.  I do it not because it's a toll road although it is a factor but because i 70 goes through missouri and I avoid missouri whenever possible.

Dare we ask why?

lots of (entertaining) theories upthread, some plausible. but the main reason I avoid missouri when possible is that this has been the only state I've driven in where the drivers don't go more than 3 mph over the limit in the left lane.  it seems that every native driver makes it a personal mission to enforce the speed limit laws and won't move right to let faster traffic pass. I don't go more than 8 over in less than 75 zones on interstates so I'm not going excessively fast but these cars pretty much refuse to move and I have to pass on the right.  it harshes a good groove when you have to cancel cruise control every time you come up to traffic and can't re-engage for 20 minutes a time.

I've seen governed semis passing cars on the left in non construction straight as an arrow areas in 70 mph zones multiple times.  this was on 70 and 44, the little bit of 55 and 57 I was on was so empty it wasn't a problem. maybe I'll reconsider missouri when they put another lane in each direction in.

when I travel, if I can be where I need to be by 10 pm local time, extra distance traveled plays no factor in my route planning.
This situation reminds me exactly of I-64 between Williamsburg and Richmond, and that's only 30 miles. The insistency to drive across both lanes at the speed limit or even 3-5 mph below in the 70 mph zone. I've done more passing on the right there than any other stretch of highway I've driven.

Unfortunately, there's no other good alternative that's built to freeway standards. There's parallel routes and US-460 but those only max out at 55 mph and I'd still end up going slower. Less frustrating maybe though, but unless I-64 is just straight congested, gridlock, I'll still usually stick with it.

What's funny, is I've driven on US-58 out to I-95, which is only 60 mph the whole way (it's a slog, the highway is wide open and can easily be 70 mph if it wasn't due to artificial speed laws), and have joined "pacts"  moving at 75-close to 80 mph. I can't even get that luck on the 70 mph highway leaving the area - actually one trip I took a couple months ago actually was moving 75-80 mph on I-64 and it was a miracle, but that's never happened again since - but have on the 60 mph highway.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2021, 12:27:01 PM
I shunpike the kansas turnpike by using i 65, 74, and 80.  I do it not because it's a toll road although it is a factor but because i 70 goes through missouri and I avoid missouri whenever possible.

Dare we ask why?

lots of (entertaining) theories upthread, some plausible. but the main reason I avoid missouri when possible is that this has been the only state I've driven in where the drivers don't go more than 3 mph over the limit in the left lane.  it seems that every native driver makes it a personal mission to enforce the speed limit laws and won't move right to let faster traffic pass. I don't go more than 8 over in less than 75 zones on interstates so I'm not going excessively fast but these cars pretty much refuse to move and I have to pass on the right.  it harshes a good groove when you have to cancel cruise control every time you come up to traffic and can't re-engage for 20 minutes a time.

I've seen governed semis passing cars on the left in non construction straight as an arrow areas in 70 mph zones multiple times.  this was on 70 and 44, the little bit of 55 and 57 I was on was so empty it wasn't a problem. maybe I'll reconsider missouri when they put another lane in each direction in.

when I travel, if I can be where I need to be by 10 pm local time, extra distance traveled plays no factor in my route planning.
This situation reminds me exactly of I-64 between Williamsburg and Richmond, and that's only 30 miles. The insistency to drive across both lanes at the speed limit or even 3-5 mph below in the 70 mph zone. I've done more passing on the right there than any other stretch of highway I've driven.

Unfortunately, there's no other good alternative that's built to freeway standards. There's parallel routes and US-460 but those only max out at 55 mph and I'd still end up going slower. Less frustrating maybe though, but unless I-64 is just straight congested, gridlock, I'll still usually stick with it.

What's funny, is I've driven on US-58 out to I-95, which is only 60 mph the whole way (it's a slog, the highway is wide open and can easily be 70 mph if it wasn't due to artificial speed laws), and have joined "pacts"  moving at 75-close to 80 mph. I can't even get that luck on the 70 mph highway leaving the area - actually one trip I took a couple months ago actually was moving 75-80 mph on I-64 and it was a miracle, but that's never happened again since - but have on the 60 mph highway.

Break up the slog by taking the Business 58 routes.  You see more of the country that way.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 22, 2021, 11:44:47 AM
What is so bad about driving the speed limit?  I like to set my cruise control to the speed limit.

It's too slow, when you can most times drive safely at a speed greater than an arbitrarily set number.

Back to the subject, I have never intentionally done this, but lots of people now shunpike the I-65 toll bridges crossing the Ohio River. To me, having to deal with downtown Louisville traffic lights is too much of a hassle to be worth the toll savings. Ditto the time and mileage addition if one uses I-265 and I-64 (Sherman Minton Bridge) to shunpike.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Dare we ask why?

I'm with ya on that although I've never really paid much attention to my experiences in other states. But I can't stand it when I'm driving on a road that has multiple lanes but I have to get over in the right lane to pass someone going extremely slow in the left lane. Like why do you even bother getting on the freeway for?

sprjus4

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2021, 01:58:25 PM
It's too slow, when you can most times drive safely at a speed greater than an arbitrarily set number.
It makes a tricky situation, because not only that, but when speed limits are artificially low, it can also create a situation where you're a hazard on the road because the actual flow of traffic is much greater. Do you break the law to match the flow and scientifically be in a safer situation, or do you follow the law and risk it safety wise?

If speed limits universally were set appropriately largely based off actual design and 85th percentile speeds, particularly on freeways and rural roads, without artificial laws or hesitancy for some DOT's to dare post above 55 mph or 60 mph in urban areas where it's fully reasonable, then maybe speed limits would be more respected and largely obeyed, allowing law enforcement to target the true reckless drivers, not just the " dangerous, reckless speeder"  doing 70 mph in a 55 mph on a wide open, straight 8 lane highway, or better, the "dangerous, reckless speeder"  driving 70-75 mph on a wide open, rural, in the middle of nowhere, 4 lane divided highway that's artificially set at 55 mph or 60 mph due to an artificial law because it has a little median break every couple miles and a one lane road connection carrying 5 AADT, and the occasional house on the side. Or the ones that are limited access, high quality, but have that occasional intersection. Looking at you Maryland.

It's amazing how in some areas that have reasonable speed limits, look at Texas with 75 mph on non-limited-access roads and 65-70 mph urban speed limits, compliance within 5-10 mph is usually much higher than areas that want to artificially post 55 mph on these roads. Now, I will say that I do believe Texas rural interstates should go to 80 mph, but even then 75 mph is not that bad.

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2021, 05:24:56 PM
It makes a tricky situation, because not only that, but when speed limits are artificially low, it can also create a situation where you're a hazard on the road because the actual flow of traffic is much greater. Do you break the law to match the flow and scientifically be in a safer situation, or do you follow the law and risk it safety wise?
I find that problem on I-465 where the speed limit is 55 mph and everyone is going 70-75 mph. I love how I have adaptive cruise control and can just blend in with traffic using it so I've taken advantage of that myself.

Driving in big cities sucks.

Scott5114

Dare we ask why?

lots of (entertaining) theories upthread, some plausible. but the main reason I avoid missouri when possible is that this has been the only state I've driven in where the drivers don't go more than 3 mph over the limit in the left lane.  it seems that every native driver makes it a personal mission to enforce the speed limit laws and won't move right to let faster traffic pass.

Interesting, I wondered if everyone had that experience, or if it was just me. I lived in Springfield for a year and found that driving the speed limit I was often the fastest one on the road.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 22, 2021, 01:10:34 PM
Break up the slog by taking the Business 58 routes.  You see more of the country that way.

Sometimes, less is more.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sprjus4

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 22, 2021, 06:25:23 PM
I find that problem on I-465 where the speed limit is 55 mph and everyone is going 70-75 mph. I love how I have adaptive cruise control and can just blend in with traffic using it so I've taken advantage of that myself.

A similar situation with the I-495 Capitol Beltway. Traffic in excess of 70+ mph, but a 55 mph limit. There have been efforts to increase it, but nothing has ever came as such. The highway used to be posted at 70 mph in Maryland pre NMSL, and 65 mph in Virginia, so the highway is certainly engineered for those speeds, but it was never reverted.

The closest thing would be the construction of two HO/T lanes in each direction on the western portion in Virginia, which are posted at 65 mph. The general purpose lanes remain 55 mph.

I-264 in Virginia Beach is another similar situation IMO. 8 lane highway, relatively straight, traffic in excess of 70+ mph, speed limit 55 mph. The highway was also posted at 65 mph and built with a 70 mph design speed pre NMSL. It should be raised to 65 mph. Then pretty much any of the highways on I-64 south of I-264, I-664, etc. need to go up to 65 mph but are stuck at 55-60 mph.

At least some places, like Michigan or Texas, and even California, have reasonable urban speed limits (65-70 mph). North Carolina also comes to mind, I-40 remains 65 mph through Raleigh, I-87 coming right up to I-440 is 70 mph, I-540 is 70 mph, and I-485 around Charlotte is 70 mph. Though, like I-77 and I-85 through Charlotte and I-440 around Raleigh slog at 55-60 mph, so it's certainly not perfect there. And then I-40, I-77, and I-85 hold at 65 mph far outside their metros (beyond the I-540 and I-485 beltways which are 70 mph themselves) when they could bump to 70 mph.

1995hoo

If I go 65 mph on the Beltway, I'm not passing anybody, and usually someone will try to tailgate me even if I'm in the far right lane.

The traffic study VDOT did before raising the speed limit to 65 in the HO/T lanes showed that a 70-mph limit would have been justified, but VDOT said they never considered posting 70. (The HO/T lanes were originally posted at 55, like the general-purpose lanes, because of the way the statute governing speed limits is written to require a study before posting something above 55.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 23, 2021, 04:43:44 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 22, 2021, 06:25:23 PM

A similar situation with the I-495 Capitol Beltway. Traffic in excess of 70+ mph, but a 55 mph limit. There have been efforts to increase it, but nothing has ever came as such. The highway used to be posted at 70 mph in Maryland pre NMSL, and 65 mph in Virginia, so the highway is certainly engineered for those speeds, but it was never reverted.

The closest thing would be the construction of two HO/T lanes in each direction on the western portion in Virginia, which are posted at 65 mph. The general purpose lanes remain 55 mph.

I-264 in Virginia Beach is another similar situation IMO. 8 lane highway, relatively straight, traffic in excess of 70+ mph, speed limit 55 mph. The highway was also posted at 65 mph and built with a 70 mph design speed pre NMSL. It should be raised to 65 mph. Then pretty much any of the highways on I-64 south of I-264, I-664, etc. need to go up to 65 mph but are stuck at 55-60 mph.

At least some places, like Michigan or Texas, and even California, have reasonable urban speed limits (65-70 mph). North Carolina also comes to mind, I-40 remains 65 mph through Raleigh, I-87 coming right up to I-440 is 70 mph, I-540 is 70 mph, and I-485 around Charlotte is 70 mph. Though, like I-77 and I-85 through Charlotte and I-440 around Raleigh slog at 55-60 mph, so it's certainly not perfect there. And then I-40, I-77, and I-85 hold at 65 mph far outside their metros (beyond the I-540 and I-485 beltways which are 70 mph themselves) when they could bump to 70 mph.
I think it probably has to do with the number of exit and entrance ramps in a given area but I dunno how that would work. There might be an area on I-94 that is still 55 mph but I don't get on I-94 in Detroit that often so I can't remember but I-75 is 70 mph and so is I-696 and I-96.

Around me the speed limit on I-675 in Saginaw use to be 55 mph in the city of Saginaw but luckily it's now 70 mph.

GaryV

I-94 is 55 in the downtown area: I don't remember how far east; maybe out to Michigan Avenue or so to the west.

I-75 is 55 south of I-94, and then for a ways south out of the city.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on May 23, 2021, 01:29:11 PM
I-94 is 55 in the downtown area: I don't remember how far east; maybe out to Michigan Avenue or so to the west.

I-75 is 55 south of I-94, and then for a ways south out of the city.
I know that I-94 is 55 into Harper Woods and maybe across into Macomb County like after I-696 it goes back to 70 it might be a little before that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm thinking that I-75 is 55 at least until the Rouge River Bridge.

sbeaver44

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 19, 2021, 11:22:19 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 18, 2021, 11:52:28 PM
5. U.S. 30 west of Breezewood, Pennsylvania is a pretty good road, and can be used to shunpike the I-70/I-76 part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike without spending too much time to Bedford.  Then PA-31, a pretty good road, can be used all the way to "free" I-70 west of New Stanton. 
I have used PA 31 once and was surprised that it was a pretty good road for a PA two-laner...so agreed.
I love PA 31 and am glad to see it getting the respect it deserves.

sbeaver44

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 20, 2021, 08:33:35 AM
Has anyone done a cost/benefit analysis of shunpiking a given route?
I do this all the time

For instance, using US 30/PA 31 does tend add 30-45 minutes as I recall between Breezewood and New Stanton (well, Wyano, west of New Stanton on 70).  To me, that's easily worth it, $10.90 less in tolls, plus, I love the scenery on PA 31.   Freedom to stop where I want, although I do find the PA Turnpike plazas clean.  I also find backroads much more interesting than most highways.

I don't shunpike outside PA as much, especially since our tolls make everything else look reasonable by comparison.

For Ohio Turnpike, using OH 2 to OH 53 adds 15 minutes between Exits 145 and 91.  I like Port Clinton and the bridge on OH 2 between Sandusky and Port Clinton.

I also like to use US 24, US 30, IN 49 instead of Ohio Tpk and Indiana Toll Road between Toledo and Valparaiso.  I also have friends that live near US 30 in Indiana, so that adds to the "benefit"

Nacho

I generally don't shunpike, preferring to just take the most convenient route based on destination, traffic, and construction without worrying too much about the relatively small cost of tolls. Since the most convenient routes to/from Chicago so often involve tolls I of course have an I-Pass, and it'll certainly be getting a lot of use when I go to Maine this summer (Indiana Toll Road, Ohio Turnpike, New York Thruway, Masspike, NH Turnpike, Maine Turnpike).

74/171FAN

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 24, 2021, 06:21:59 PM
5. U.S. 30 west of Breezewood, Pennsylvania is a pretty good road, and can be used to shunpike the I-70/I-76 part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike without spending too much time to Bedford.  Then PA-31, a pretty good road, can be used all the way to "free" I-70 west of New Stanton. 
I have used PA 31 once and was surprised that it was a pretty good road for a PA two-laner...so agreed.

The part of US 30 between PA 711 and US 219 is rather twisty, but it is fine beyond that section.

I have not driven PA 31 so I will judge that route at a later time.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 24, 2021, 06:31:18 PM

I also like to use US 24, US 30, IN 49 instead of Ohio Tpk and Indiana Toll Road between Toledo and Valparaiso.  I also have friends that live near US 30 in Indiana, so that adds to the "benefit"

It's funny, one of my colleagues grew up in Valparaiso and her parents continue to live there, so she drives home from DC to visit them. I suggested taking US-30 across Ohio because it was such an empty road and an easy drive, but she said she always takes the toll roads because they are "self-contained" with service areas and she feels safer going that way. I suppose it's entirely understandable that a younger woman driving alone is less likely to be interested in exploring empty roads than a middle-aged man is.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

fwydriver405

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 18, 2021, 02:52:31 PM
I don't normally actively seek to avoid tolls these days unless it's minimally inconvenient to do so. With that said, I definitely shunpike the "Tourist Exit" in Maine, i.e., the exit from the northbound Maine Turnpike to northbound I-295 near Portland (Exit 44). Exit 45 is toll-free and takes you less than a mile out of the way, so I go that way if I'm in the area. mtantillo of this forum suggested that maneuver to me.

For me, with my Maine Turnpike E-ZPass, exiting at Exit 44 (as well as 52) can actually vary depending on where you enter. I usually get on at Exit 32 (Biddeford / ME111) from my hometown for Portland and points north, and using Exit 44 or 45 is $1.00 with a Maine Turnpike E-ZPass, compared to $2.00 for cash and out of state E-ZPasses for Exit 44. It's even cheaper if you enter at 36 or 42 and exit at 44, with the tolls being $0.65 and $0.50 (though at that point I would have stayed on US-1 to avoid the toll altogether).

As for other roads I've shunpiked, from my hometown to Manchester, Salem or Nashua NH, sometimes I go thru Dover via ME/NH 4, then hop on NH 9 to NH 155 to US 4 to NH 125 to NH 101, to avoid the $2.00 ($1.40 for NHDOT E-ZPass) toll on the Blue Star Turnpike (I-95), or $0.75 ($0.53 for NHDOT E-ZPass) if you use the Exit 2 ramp on NH 101.

Additionally, on the Everett Turnpike to Nashua from Manchester, I always avoid the Bedford tolls ($1.00 Cash/OoS E-Z, $0.70 NH E-Z) by getting off at Exit 13, using the US-3 ramp, then getting back on the Everett Turnpike to my intended destination. 

sbeaver44

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 25, 2021, 02:54:09 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 24, 2021, 06:21:59 PM

The part of US 30 between PA 711 and US 219 is rather twisty, but it is fine beyond that section.

I have not driven PA 31 so I will judge that route at a later time.
Most of the time I'm using PA 31 is because I'm trying to get to I-70 west of New Stanton, and so it has that advantage vs US 30

I don't mind US 30 either...heck I love the Bedford to Fort Loudon section

ozarkman417

On a trip I'm currently on, I've shunpiked the Will Rogers and Turner Turnpikes by driving on Route 66.

My reward:

SM-G965U

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 02, 2021, 04:40:12 PM
On a trip I'm currently on, I've shunpiked the Will Rogers and Turner Turnpikes by driving on Route 66.

My reward:

SM-G965U

Isn't it nice when contractor screwups actually result in something better for a change? (This one lacks the ODOT date stamp at the bottom, so probably a contractor error rather than ODOT for once.)

Did you happen to look at the back of the shield? Sometimes the install date is marked in grease pencil on the back.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

74/171FAN

^That deserves to be a Facebook profile pic error selfie.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 02, 2021, 04:40:12 PM

My reward:

SM-G965U
It's beautiful.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.