News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Yes, I went to college next to it. 

I promise you this is a project that's been needed a long time. The westbound 3 merge is a mess, along with 46 coming in. Lots of death weaves westbound. It also cleans up traffic getting on and off the Montclair campus.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

storm2k

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 08, 2021, 10:13:05 PM
Any reason that the US 46/NJ 3 interchange is being rebuilt? I drove through there on my way to New York two weeks ago and didn't notice anything wrong with it. I think that there should be more lanes to 3 (rather than the middle lane on 46 being either/or), but that's my opinion. I could see why the even split exists (46 goes to GSP NB, 3 goes to GSP SB), so maybe it's worth keeping.

The fact that the infrastructure is 70+ years old at this point and was designed for much lower traffic volumes is reason enough. You clearly are not from the area, nor did you drive through it in pre-pandemic traffic, which often saw major backups along 46 in this stretch with loads of traffic trying to get to and from a main arterial to the Lincoln Tunnel. Trust me, these improvements are sorely needed.

roadman65

Was Fairfield Road in Fairfield ever been part of US 46?

I always felt something strange passing through the Clinton Street traffic signal. Of course it's the only traffic signal in Fairfield as well as between the Bloomfield Avenue split and Clifton as well. I always felt thatNJDOT short changed the US 46 expressway by allowing one light to remain.

Then I noticed that Fairfield Road interchanges with US 46 to the east of NJ 159. Fairfield Road parallels US 46 and returns to it near Passaic Avenue. Plus the median is narrower west of Fairfield Roads west terminus and the bridges at both Fairfield Road trumpets as well as Hollywood Avenue look like late 40s or early 50s design unlike WB Bloomfield Ave. over EB US 46 which look pre WWII era design.

So I would guess Fairfield Road was once US 46 or NJ 6 at one time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 09, 2021, 10:43:34 AM
Was Fairfield Road in Fairfield ever been part of US 46?

I always felt something strange passing through the Clinton Street traffic signal. Of course it's the only traffic signal in Fairfield as well as between the Bloomfield Avenue split and Clifton as well. I always felt thatNJDOT short changed the US 46 expressway by allowing one light to remain.

Then I noticed that Fairfield Road interchanges with US 46 to the east of NJ 159. Fairfield Road parallels US 46 and returns to it near Passaic Avenue. Plus the median is narrower west of Fairfield Roads west terminus and the bridges at both Fairfield Road trumpets as well as Hollywood Avenue look like late 40s or early 50s design unlike WB Bloomfield Ave. over EB US 46 which look pre WWII era design.

So I would guess Fairfield Road was once US 46 or NJ 6 at one time.
It was not. It was the main road through before US 46 was designated, but the bypass of Fairfield was built in the 20s and 46 was designated in the 30s. It's unclear whether 6 would have been signed temporarily on Fairfield Rd. or if NJDOT waited until they built it.

NE2

Fairfield Road was US 46. The bypass was not built until the 1950s.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on May 09, 2021, 07:45:52 PM
Fairfield Road was US 46. The bypass was not built until the 1950s.
I had always been under the impression that the bypass was built (with at-grades) at the same time as the piece in Wayne, but clearly that was not the case.

Alps

Asked this question on my FB page and I'll take answers here too, wherever I can get one. Whence H. LEBER?
https://www.facebook.com/alpsroads.net/posts/4324031877631203

roadman65

I noticed that there is an inconsistency of County Route 531 between Somerset and Union Counties.  Somerset has Watchung Avenue signed as CR 531.  Union has Park Avenue  Avenue signed as CR 531.

To make things worse NJDOT signs Watchung Avenue as CR 531 as well.  Considering that there is no signs on any cross street (Front, Second, NJ 28 etc.) to get you between the two. I believe Somerset Street and Park Avenue is the true alignment, but Somerset County is misinformed about its alignment.

Plus the one way couplet north of US 22 between NB Watchung and SB Somerset  and the strange configuration of its interchange with US 22 didn't help matters in this when implemented decades ago. The interchange with US 22 has the the through movement between NB Somerset Street to NB Watchung Avenue and SB from Watchung Ave ( although Somerset Street has a slip ramp into the interchange though, but one way SB) to Somerset making CR 531 to be straight through.  Considering Somerset defaults to Park Avenue at Front Street further south which takes the route into Middlesex County further south and the design of the US 22 interchange, having CR 531 signed for Somerset is the better and uninterrupted choice.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 11, 2021, 11:18:43 AM
I noticed that there is an inconsistency of County Route 531 between Somerset and Union Counties.  Somerset has Watchung Avenue signed as CR 531.  Union has Park Avenue  Avenue signed as CR 531.

To make things worse NJDOT signs Watchung Avenue as CR 531 as well.  Considering that there is no signs on any cross street (Front, Second, NJ 28 etc.) to get you between the two. I believe Somerset Street and Park Avenue is the true alignment, but Somerset County is misinformed about its alignment.

Plus the one way couplet north of US 22 between NB Watchung and SB Somerset  and the strange configuration of its interchange with US 22 didn't help matters in this when implemented decades ago. The interchange with US 22 has the the through movement between NB Somerset Street to NB Watchung Avenue and SB from Watchung Ave ( although Somerset Street has a slip ramp into the interchange though, but one way SB) to Somerset making CR 531 to be straight through.  Considering Somerset defaults to Park Avenue at Front Street further south which takes the route into Middlesex County further south and the design of the US 22 interchange, having CR 531 signed for Somerset is the better and uninterrupted choice.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/pdf/00000531__-.pdf

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/pdf/00000531Z_-.pdf

NJRoadfan

This shows it better: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/pdf/enlarged_view_11.pdf

Although NJDOT signs Watchung Ave. in Plainfield as 531. The problem is that its all municipal maintenance in that area, so the signing is non-existent. Also, Somerset County signs Watchung Ave. in North Plainfield as both directions because its county maintained. Its likely Somerset St. and Watchung Ave. were a one-way pair south of US-22 at one point, just the records were never updated to reflect a two-way street conversion and re-routing of 531.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 11, 2021, 05:15:20 PM
This shows it better: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/pdf/enlarged_view_11.pdf

Although NJDOT signs Watchung Ave. in Plainfield as 531. The problem is that its all municipal maintenance in that area, so the signing is non-existent. Also, Somerset County signs Watchung Ave. in North Plainfield as both directions because its county maintained. Its likely Somerset St. and Watchung Ave. were a one-way pair south of US-22 at one point, just the records were never updated to reflect a two-way street conversion and re-routing of 531.

Doesn't one-way conversion usually happen the other way around? As in, streets or avenues are originally two-way, and are later converted to one-way?

Also, I was under the impression that CR-531 had a maintenance gap in Plainfield.

The thing about bad signage is definitely right in my own experience, though. You can hardly tell where NJ-28 or CR-531 is supposed to be.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

famartin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 12, 2021, 12:28:03 PM

Doesn't one-way conversion usually happen the other way around? As in, streets or avenues are originally two-way, and are later converted to one-way?

Also, I was under the impression that CR-531 had a maintenance gap in Plainfield.

The thing about bad signage is definitely right in my own experience, though. You can hardly tell where NJ-28 or CR-531 is supposed to be.

CR 531 is signed in Plainfield, but not very well. There is at least one reassurance sign in each direction, however, and a directional sign for CR 531 at NJ 28 eastbound.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:County_Route_531_(Union_County,_New_Jersey)

NJ 28 is harder to follow since in addition to being poorly signed, it jumps streets. Some of them have virtually no indication of NJ 28 along them.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Roads_in_Plainfield,_New_Jersey (all the 6/20/2018 photos are of 28)

The real problem on CR 531 is in North Plainfield, however, where there is literally no indication of the jump from Park Avenue/Somserset Street to Watchung Avenue, especially southbound. Northbound you can keep on Park Avenue to 22 east and then follow the CR 531 signs which loop around over 22 to Watchung Avenue north of 22.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on May 12, 2021, 01:22:23 PM

CR 531 is signed in Plainfield, but not very well. There is at least one reassurance sign in each direction, however, and a directional sign for CR 531 at NJ 28 eastbound.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:County_Route_531_(Union_County,_New_Jersey)

NJ 28 is harder to follow since in addition to being poorly signed, it jumps streets. Some of them have virtually no indication of NJ 28 along them.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Roads_in_Plainfield,_New_Jersey (all the 6/20/2018 photos are of 28)

The real problem on CR 531 is in North Plainfield, however, where there is literally no indication of the jump from Park Avenue/Somserset Street to Watchung Avenue, especially southbound. Northbound you can keep on Park Avenue to 22 east and then follow the CR 531 signs which loop around over 22 to Watchung Avenue north of 22.

I agree that the situation for NJ-28 is worse. I presume it is also city-maintained within Plainfield? I know I've lost the path of the road more than once traveling through there.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: storm2k on May 12, 2021, 02:07:21 PM

I agree that the situation for NJ-28 is worse. I presume it is also city-maintained within Plainfield? I know I've lost the path of the road more than once traveling through there.

The map RoadFan posted has it as state-maintained (in contrast to CR-531)!
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

famartin

The SLD's list it as NJDOT maintenance, but based on the state of signage etc, I'm reasonably sure NJ 28 is actually under municipal maintenance through Plainfield.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on May 12, 2021, 02:34:36 PM

The SLD's list it as NJDOT maintenance, but based on the state of signage etc, I'm reasonably sure NJ 28 is actually under municipal maintenance through Plainfield.

NJ 28 is bad signage for sure. For years EB on Front Street there was a missing shields at Plainfield Avenue, where the route jumps from one side of the CNJ to the other.

When Fourth Street was converted to one way WB the shields that were on SB Plainfield Avenue at Fourth had the arrows removed instead of relocating the shields completely to Fifth Street.  I assume it’s city maintenance just like NJ 27 in Elizabeth.  Good luck following that one too.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2021, 05:30:28 PM
NJ 28 is bad signage for sure. For years EB on Front Street there was a missing shields at Plainfield Avenue, where the route jumps from one side of the CNJ to the other.

When Fourth Street was converted to one way WB the shields that were on SB Plainfield Avenue at Fourth hand the arrows removed instead of relocating the shields completely to Fifth Street.  I assume it's city maintenance just like NJ 27 in Elizabeth.  Good luck following that one too.

I did it (hence those 6/20/2018 pics) but only because I had the SLD's with me.  :-D

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/YDi3Lrw8ctWVKkh6A
Is this a state install on Watchung Avenue at the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line for NJ 28?

Or this https://goo.gl/maps/rUBmU9skxdEWS1fYA
NB on Watchung at Fifth Street?

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2021, 05:54:19 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/YDi3Lrw8ctWVKkh6A
Is this a state install on Watchung Avenue at the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line for NJ 28?

Or this https://goo.gl/maps/rUBmU9skxdEWS1fYA
NB on Watchung at Fifth Street?

They look like state installs. I had followed the SLD's so didn't even see them until now, since officially that isn't 531, but I might have to stop back in Plainfield one of these days.

NJRoadfan

All the signs on Watchung Ave. are state installs. Also Somerset County DPW only maintains Watchung Ave. as 531. Somerset St. is municipal.

storm2k

Been poking around GSV since Google has a lot of new imagery available. I see that they've captured some of the new signage from the Rt 7/Whitepenn Bridge project, including this APL. Interesting that they're omitting CR-508 from the sign even though that's the actual route and you need to follow it to get to 280. Kind of surprising to me since they're signing 506 along with Rt 7, and NJDOT is usually very good at signing the 5xx county routes since they function as a sort of secondary state system.

NJRoadfan

On the subject of bridge construction, NJDOT is almost done building a temporary Bailey Bridge on the westbound side of US-22 in Union over Chestnut St. The current overpass that carries US-22 over Chestnut St. is from the late 20s and past due for replacement.

roadman65

While on county roads where is CR 577's southern terminus?  Is it at NJ 124 in Springfield?  Or is it at CR 509 in Westfield?

NJDOT signs Meisel/ Springfield Avenues as CR 577 from NJ 82 & 124 and US 22, but Union County signs it as CR 509 Spur.

Now I know NJ does make errors like with CR 509 continuing past NJ 28 in Westfield when the route has been truncated for many decades.  At NJ 28 and West Broad Street, the guide sign shows CR 509 South continuing along Broad into Scotch Plains as if it were still aligned to South Plainfield where it once ended prior to the Mid 70's.

Then again, the counties seem to make their own rules too as 500 series routes in NJ are supposed to be assigned by NJDOT and not the counties themselves like the 600 series routes are.  Plus, didn't NJ phase out SPUR routes from 500 series routes as well?

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on May 13, 2021, 12:45:17 AM
Been poking around GSV since Google has a lot of new imagery available. I see that they've captured some of the new signage from the Rt 7/Whitepenn Bridge project, including this APL. Interesting that they're omitting CR-508 from the sign even though that's the actual route and you need to follow it to get to 280. Kind of surprising to me since they're signing 506 along with Rt 7, and NJDOT is usually very good at signing the 5xx county routes since they function as a sort of secondary state system.

What is with the drop off next to the staircase? https://goo.gl/maps/Jh9sQoBbhPorHPJd8

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 13, 2021, 11:11:38 PM
While on county roads where is CR 577's southern terminus?  Is it at NJ 124 in Springfield?  Or is it at CR 509 in Westfield?

NJDOT signs Meisel/ Springfield Avenues as CR 577 from NJ 82 & 124 and US 22, but Union County signs it as CR 509 Spur.

Now I know NJ does make errors like with CR 509 continuing past NJ 28 in Westfield when the route has been truncated for many decades.  At NJ 28 and West Broad Street, the guide sign shows CR 509 South continuing along Broad into Scotch Plains as if it were still aligned to South Plainfield where it once ended prior to the Mid 70's.

Then again, the counties seem to make their own rules too as 500 series routes in NJ are supposed to be assigned by NJDOT and not the counties themselves like the 600 series routes are.  Plus, didn't NJ phase out SPUR routes from 500 series routes as well?
509 Spur has been replaced by 577 and new signs are consistent.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.