News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Toll Transponder Swapping for National Coverage

Started by HighwayStar, August 09, 2021, 01:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayStar

Good Morning America How Are You

I have a problem I am trying to solve which probably affects some of us in this forum, namely frequently traveling in areas with incompatible toll systems.
As of yet there is no national interoperable system, save the grossly overpriced National Pass or whatever it is called.

So for those of us that travel in areas with incompatible systems what is the best way to manage multiple passes?

If all systems were like the PA EZ Pass which has a detachable transponder mounted to the windshield that would be easy, but some other systems are mainly built around non-removable windshield stickers.

Given the warnings about removing old stickers, I am assuming mounting 2-3 windshield stickers and running an EZ pass is probably a bad idea. So having some way to swap them is probably required.

My initial thought here is to put the stickers on an old hotel room key and use Dual Lock to mount them to the EZ Pass spot on the windshield as needed, I would think they could still read like this.

Some will rightly point out that the video backup tolling should in theory bill you even with no pass in most places, but I don't want to be entirely reliant on that approach either.

So does anyone have experience dealing with this, or any thoughts on what might work here?
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

1995hoo

I recently cancelled my Florida SunPass because they now accept E-ZPass. I had a SunPass Mini, which is a sticker transponder of the sort you describe. SunPass claims you have to peel off the backing and permanently affix it to the windshield, but on the advice of members of this forum, I left the backing on and mounted it with scotch tape (it resided in my primary car for six years and I then transferred it to my wife's car when she purchased it in 2017). It always read just fine, as confirmed by seeing the light come on in some of the slower-speed toll plaza lanes, although I still had three license plate numbers registered to the account.

Based on that experience, I would probably do the same with other windshield stickers (mount them with scotch tape), though I might do a little online research to see if anyone else has done that and, if so, what their success rate was.

The windshield stickers should not interfere with your E-ZPass, however. They use different technology. My SunPass Mini and my E-ZPass (both conventional and Flex models) never interfered with each other. I don't know enough about the sticker devices to know whether they could interfere with each other, but I suspect if they did we would have heard about it by now.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 09, 2021, 01:38:15 PM
I recently cancelled my Florida SunPass because they now accept E-ZPass. I had a SunPass Mini, which is a sticker transponder of the sort you describe. SunPass claims you have to peel off the backing and permanently affix it to the windshield, but on the advice of members of this forum, I left the backing on and mounted it with scotch tape (it resided in my primary car for six years and I then transferred it to my wife's car when she purchased it in 2017). It always read just fine, as confirmed by seeing the light come on in some of the slower-speed toll plaza lanes, although I still had three license plate numbers registered to the account.

Based on that experience, I would probably do the same with other windshield stickers (mount them with scotch tape), though I might do a little online research to see if anyone else has done that and, if so, what their success rate was.

The windshield stickers should not interfere with your E-ZPass, however. They use different technology. My SunPass Mini and my E-ZPass (both conventional and Flex models) never interfered with each other. I don't know enough about the sticker devices to know whether they could interfere with each other, but I suspect if they did we would have heard about it by now.

Good info.

I will add that while avoiding interference is one goal, there are two others here.
One is not cluttering the windshield with half a dozen stickers.
The second is not having to replace all stickers if the windshield cracks and needs replacing, as that would also be a pain.

kphoger

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 09, 2021, 01:41:04 PM
The second is not having to replace all stickers if the windshield cracks and needs replacing, as that would also be a pain.

Several years ago, I missed a red light and T-boned another car.  My vehicle was totaled out, and I sold it to the insurance company.  A couple of weeks later, we took the insurance check and bought a replacement vehicle.  Then, after all the dust settled, I called OTA to have my Pikepass transferred to our new vehicle.  In the meantime, however, our account dinged for a toll charge somewhere on I-70 between Topeka and Kansas City.  I'm guessing our wrecked vehicle was on a truck up there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ran4sh

Idk if there is a solution for what to do if you have a sticker transponder but you use a toll road that is inoperable but has its own sticker transponders. At least for E-ZPass you don't have to worry bc E-ZPass toll equipment doesn't read sticker transponders (Except, of course, NC/FL/MN/Louisville)

Are sticker transponders not free? I always thought that was the point of making them that way (as opposed to a removable hard case). And they're free in GA

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 09, 2021, 01:11:08 PM
Given the warnings about removing old stickers
The only bad thing that happens if you remove a sticker transponder is, it becomes non-functional. The toll agency intends for you to simply obtain a new sticker.

Some will rightly point out that the video backup tolling should in theory bill you even with no pass in most places, but I don't want to be entirely reliant on that approach either.
I agree. Some toll roads treat video/license plate tolling as a valid alternative to a transponder, but some of them treat it as a way to catch violators, with users expected to have a transponder (or cash where it's still accepted).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

HighwayStar

Quote from: ran4sh on August 09, 2021, 09:42:09 PM
Idk if there is a solution for what to do if you have a sticker transponder but you use a toll road that is inoperable but has its own sticker transponders. At least for E-ZPass you don't have to worry bc E-ZPass toll equipment doesn't read sticker transponders (Except, of course, NC/FL/MN/Louisville)

Are sticker transponders not free? I always thought that was the point of making them that way (as opposed to a removable hard case). And they're free in GA

Given the warnings about removing old stickers
The only bad thing that happens if you remove a sticker transponder is, it becomes non-functional. The toll agency intends for you to simply obtain a new sticker.

I agree. Some toll roads treat video/license plate tolling as a valid alternative to a transponder, but some of them treat it as a way to catch violators, with users expected to have a transponder (or cash where it's still accepted).

Let me clarify Given the warnings about removing old stickers, most agencies tell you to remove old stickers before new installation, not sure if this is an issue if they are from other agencies however.

kphoger

Quote from: ran4sh on August 09, 2021, 09:42:09 PM

From the PIKEPASS FAQ page, in fact:

"Even if you have separate accounts, you should only use a single transponder per vehicle to minimize the risk of double billing and other toll and parking transaction issues."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.