News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cities which don't need beltways but have them.

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 10, 2021, 04:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Shoutout Rochester NY (although the beltway is gone now.)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Are we defining beltway as needing to be limited access?  Otherwise I might nominate Enterprise, AL.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 10, 2021, 04:47:20 PM
Are we defining beltway as needing to be limited access?  Otherwise I might nominate Enterprise, AL.

Chris
Not necessary, could be any beltway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Depending on what you construe as a beltway, I nominate Durham, North Carolina, because the Downtown Loop is both unnecessary and a nuisance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 10, 2021, 04:42:48 PM

Two things:

(1) At only about 3 miles in length, the Inner Loop was a little small to be consider a "beltway" in the traditional sense.  I/NY 390 and I/NY 590 are closer to what I would consider an actual beltway, but it's incomplete.

(2) Rochester is absolute deserving of a beltway. I'd love to see a "roof" on our current partial beltway, either via NY 104 or something closer to the lakeshore.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 10, 2021, 04:51:11 PM

Chris

Is this the only setup where the bypass route is a bypass of the bypass? :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2021, 04:54:02 PM

Chris

I know zero about the history, but I'm assuming US84 used to follow Main Street?

Chris

SkyPesos

TheStranger

Is Grand Boulevard in Corona the only example of a circular road around a community in California?

Not sure if "need" or "unneeded" are the terms to describe that though, and the city itself got its name from having a circular road at all!  (it was used also for auto racing in the 1910s)

In terms of enclosed beltways (as opposed to say, a long loop route like I-405), I-280/I-680 basically operates more as two north-south corridors anyway than one unified belt route, and the surface street belt of Capitol Avenue/Capitol Expressway/Hillsdale Avenue/San Tomas Expressway/Montague Expressway around San Jose is a pretty major route.

Chris Sampang

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on March 10, 2021, 04:53:23 PM

Two things:

(1) At only about 3 miles in length, the Inner Loop was a little small to be consider a "beltway" in the traditional sense.  I/NY 390 and I/NY 590 are closer to what I would consider an actual beltway, but it's incomplete.

(2) Rochester is absolute deserving of a beltway. I'd love to see a "roof" on our current partial beltway, either via NY 104 or something closer to the lakeshore.
Eesh.  That "roof" would either destroy decent communities or the shoreline itself.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

I grew up in Green Bay. It doesn't NEED a beltway, though I-41, I-43, and WI 172 constitute one. I appreciate it every time I visit my family who still live there and it clears out the traffic nicely after every Packers game.

I recommend this parking strategy to anyone heading towards Milwaukee after a game at Lambeau. Park free just north of the stadium east of Oneida St; you can usually find an empty street spot on the first block of Raleigh or Liberty. After the game, return via the following: North on Oneida to end, east one block on Dousman, north on Gray St to the end, east one short block on Velp, north on Atkinson to SB I-43 ramp. Oneida is mostly used by locals and they all turn at Mason, so the rest of the "shortcut" is practically devoid of traffic until the I-43/WI 172 merge. It beats the crap of dealing with all the idiots cramming the local streets to get to WI 172 or I-41. I've never used it for a night game, but it works great for the early afternoon starts.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2021, 05:28:36 PM
Rochester is absolute deserving of a beltway. I'd love to see a "roof" on our current partial beltway, either via NY 104 or something closer to the lakeshore.
Eesh.  That "roof" would either destroy decent communities or the shoreline itself.

Yes, it is fantasy... although I look at what's being done to US 281 north of San Antonio and it's not totally outrageous to think NY 104 could be upgraded to a freeway. It would never happen in the current climate though.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on March 10, 2021, 05:51:30 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2021, 05:28:36 PM
Rochester is absolute deserving of a beltway. I'd love to see a "roof" on our current partial beltway, either via NY 104 or something closer to the lakeshore.

Yes, it is fantasy... although I look at what's being done to US 281 north of San Antonio and it's not totally outrageous to think NY 104 could be upgraded to a freeway. It would never happen in the current climate though.
Charlotte would go nuts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2021, 04:46:35 PM
Lexington, KY

Construction on New Circle Road started before the conceptualization of the interstate system, to serve as a bypass for US 25 and US 60.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

STLmapboy

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 10, 2021, 08:02:02 PM
What about St. Charles, MO?
I don't think 370 is really a beltway per se. It's a connector between 70 and 270 to allow commercial traffic and personal vehicles to shave off some time going from X to Y without passing through STL.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

vdeane

I presume you mean the Inner Loop?  As mentioned, that's not really a beltway.  A beltway would be more like 590/390/104, were it finished; NY 104 between NY 390 and the river isn't a freeway.  It was planned to be, but alas, the current climate in NY is very freeway hostile.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Revive 755

Quote from: STLmapboy on March 10, 2021, 08:04:36 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on March 10, 2021, 08:02:02 PM
What about St. Charles, MO?
I don't think 370 is really a beltway per se. It's a connector between 70 and 270 to allow commercial traffic and personal vehicles to shave off some time going from X to Y without passing through STL.

While it isn't much quicker when traffic is flowing on I-70, MO 370 is a much more pleasant drive than I-70 and should have tied into MO 79 (though the Salt River Road extension now kind of fills this role as an arterial).  It has been very nice to have as an alternative to the Blanchette and the previously overloaded ramp from NB I-270 to WB I-70 in the years prior to the opening of MO 364 and the freeway upgrades to US 40 in St. Charles County.

ibthebigd

webny99

Quote from: ibthebigd on March 11, 2021, 08:22:44 AM
Fort Wayne Indiana I-469

It may not be needed for Fort Wayne itself, but the southern 2/3 are needed for Indy-Toledo and Indy-Detroit traffic.

formulanone

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 10, 2021, 04:55:40 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2021, 04:54:02 PM

Chris

I know zero about the history, but I'm assuming US84 used to follow Main Street?

Chris

It appears that the NE quadrant of the US 84 bypass of Main Street occurred between 1957-62. The rest of the US 84 bypass wasn't completed until 1990-91.

But the big attraction downtown is the Boll Weevil Monument:

NWI_Irish96

So this isn't a full beltway but my small hometown of Bremen got a US 6 bypass in the 1980s. The governor of Indiana from 1973-81 was from Bremen so he made sure we got the bypass even though there were three larger towns on US 6 that did not.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

StogieGuy7

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2021, 06:54:30 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2021, 04:46:35 PM
Lexington, KY

Construction on New Circle Road started before the conceptualization of the interstate system, to serve as a bypass for US 25 and US 60.

Which explains why it inconveniently (and annoyingly) doesn't directly link up with any interstates or parkways. To get to  - or leave - Lexington, you have to approach on a surface street of some form (sitting through at least some traffic lights at intersections) before you can reach the circle road, let alone downtown. Although there may be others, I can't think of another city this size that has such a dysfunctional arrangement.

Evan_Th

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 10, 2021, 04:52:56 PM
Depending on what you construe as a beltway, I nominate Durham, North Carolina, because the Downtown Loop is both unnecessary and a nuisance.

Hey, I grew up in Durham!  I agree it's unnecessary, but what makes you say it's a nuisance? 

But also, I say a loop around part of the core of downtown definitely doesn't qualify as a beltway.  The actual beltway - 15-501 and 85 - is pretty definitely necessary.  Soon, you'll be able to add in the East End Connector, 147, and 40 to say there's a full beltway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.