News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Bless You"

Started by hbelkins, May 11, 2021, 08:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Did anyone else grow up in a family where they did NOT say "bless you" after someone sneezes?

My family didn't make a habit of saying "bless you" after a sneeze. My wife's family,however, did. A quarter-century later, it's still one of the hardest adjustments for me to get used to having to say "bless you," or hearing it said, after a sneeze. Plus, when someone blesses you after a sneeze, it's responded to by "thank you."

So if my wife sneezes, I feel compelled to say "bless you," and then she will say, "thank you." Or if I sneeze and she blesses me, I feel obligated to thank her.

I understand the superstition behind it -- people believed that a sneeze forcibly expelled your soul from your body and saying "bless you" returned your soul to you -- but I'm not superstitious in the least. I've called it "stupid-stitious" for years because I just never got being superstitious or ritualistic about things like throwing salt over your shoulder if you spill some, entering from the same door you leave from, not walking under ladders, and so on.

Anyone else not superstitious in general, or not accustomed to saying "bless you" after a sneeze?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I ask my wife if she is "okay"  to get her riled up when she sneezes.  She greatly prefers I say "bless you."

My Mom would occasionally use it growing up but never my Dad. 

Roadgeekteen

Everyone I know says that.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Nope.  Didn't say it.  Don't say it now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Mom's family doesn't (which I followed), dad's family does.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Ned Weasel

On my dad's side of the family, it was usually "Gesundheit."
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

SectorZ

I'm not superstitious or religious, yet I say "bless you" to anyone who sneezes.

It's more cultural tradition than anything.

qguy

We didn't/don't say "bless you." At the risk of splitting hairs, the members of the family in which I grew up, and my own family today, all say "God bless you."

JoePCool14

I've always said "bless you", though some of the people I spend time with say "God bless you" because I hang around quite a few religious people. I've never understood the significance of it, just seems like cultural tradition at this point. I should ask them one day.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Takumi

I had a college professor who would absolutely lose it if someone said "bless you"  in his class.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 12, 2021, 08:10:36 AM
I've always said "bless you", though some of the people I spend time with say "God bless you" because I hang around quite a few religious people. I've never understood the significance of it, just seems like cultural tradition at this point. I should ask them one day.

If you want to go old school, it comes from the times of the plague where if you sneezed, people assumed you might get sick and die and so they said "God bless you" to hope to have your soul saved.  I have always said "bless you" more out of habit than anything else. 

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 12, 2021, 05:44:56 AM
On my dad's side of the family, it was usually "Gesundheit."

That's what I grew up with.  My paternal grandfather could speak a sort of pig-German, being a second-generation German American, and Gesundheit is about the only thing that made it all the way into my growing-up years.

Quote from: Takumi on May 12, 2021, 10:03:26 AM
I had a college professor who would absolutely lose it if someone said "bless you"  in his class.

That sounds like a person who seriously needs to get a grip.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

In our family, it was always "Gesundheit".   Now, I tend to say "Bless You" when someone sneezes (as my co-worker did about 15 minutes ago).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

GaryV

My family never did.  I don't think we ever did with our kids.

But for some reason my wife has picked it up in the last 10 or 20 years.

Mr_Northside

I don't really bother saying it when someone else sneezes, as I think it's a dumb custom..... however if someone says it to me when I sneeze, I'll give them a thank you or some acknowledgement.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 12, 2021, 01:06:52 PM
I don't really bother saying it when someone else sneezes, as I think it's a dumb custom.....

Do you also not bother saying "excuse me" when you sneeze?  Because that's just as dumb a custom.  But I do it anyway.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

74/171FAN

Quote from: frankenroad on May 12, 2021, 10:58:32 AM
In our family, it was always "Gesundheit".   Now, I tend to say "Bless You" when someone sneezes (as my co-worker did about 15 minutes ago).

It was also "Gesundheit" in my German class back in high school (for obvious reasons).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 01:14:23 PM
Do you also not bother saying "excuse me" when you sneeze?  Because that's just as dumb a custom.  But I do it anyway.

I do that, because I feel like sneezing is kind of loud and gross, especially when I do it.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

SSOWorld

I don't really bother saying it when someone else sneezes, as I think it's a dumb custom.....

Do you say "excuse me" when you belch? or fart?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 12, 2021, 01:25:20 PM

Do you say "excuse me" when you belch? or fart?

Kind of depends on the social situation (and if I think I can "get away with it).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

kphoger

–  *fart*  Excuse me.
–  What for?
–  Oh.  Uhhhhhhhh...  Nothing?
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

I used to say 'Bless you' when people coughed.  I didn't know till about age 20 (or later) that it was only for sneezes.  Such complicated rules of social etiquette...
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

My mom tends to follow up "bless you" with "double bless you" and "triple bless you" if you keep sneezing. I think when I was really small I got a quadruple-bless-you and was very curious what she was going to say on the fifth one because I didn't know the word that comes after quadruple. But of course, I stopped sneezing at that point, and I guess I didn't just ask her what came next.

Neither me or my wife are religious, so we don't say "bless you" to a sneeze. Most often we don't acknowledge it at all, other than perhaps an "are you all right?" on a multiple-sneeze occurrence.

At my wife's old workplace, there was an instance once where someone was on the phone and another person was in the midst of one of those loud multiple-sneeze occurrences, so the guy on the phone turned and said exasperatedly, "Shut the fuck up!" Everyone else in the office thought this was hilarious, so it became their go-to response when someone sneezed, rather than "bless you".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 04:20:16 PM
Neither me or my wife are religious, so we don't say "bless you" to a sneeze. Most often we don't acknowledge it at all, other than perhaps an "are you all right?" on a multiple-sneeze occurrence.

Well, I am religious, but I've never thought of saying 'Bless you' after a sneeze to be an actual religious benediction.  I guess, to me, religiosity and saying 'Bless you' after a sneeze don't really correlate.

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 04:20:16 PM
My mom tends to follow up "bless you" with "double bless you" and "triple bless you" if you keep sneezing. I think when I was really small I got a quadruple-bless-you and was very curious what she was going to say on the fifth one because I didn't know the word that comes after quadruple. But of course, I stopped sneezing at that point, and I guess I didn't just ask her what came next.

[...]

At my wife's old workplace, there was an instance once where someone was on the phone and another person was in the midst of one of those loud multiple-sneeze occurrences, so the guy on the phone turned and said exasperatedly, "Shut the fuck up!" Everyone else in the office thought this was hilarious, so it became their go-to response when someone sneezed, rather than "bless you".

My dad has loud sneezes, and he nearly always sneezes in triplicate.  So, if there's conversation going on at the time, you may as well just stop till after the third one.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.