News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State highways that are locally maintained their entire length?

Started by LilianaUwU, October 19, 2021, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

Basically what the title says. I'm not thinking about county routes here, but rather state (or provincial) highways that are under the control of a lesser government for most or all their length.

For instance, most of QC-360 is locally maintained, save for a segment in Saint-Ferréol-des-Neiges between QC-138 and Rue de l'Église, at least according to the MTQ's database.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

froggie

VT 8A
VT 23
VT 35
VT 53
VT 121
VT 139
VT 143
VT 144
VT 153
VT 215
VT 225
VT 235
VT 315

LilianaUwU

Quote from: froggie on October 19, 2021, 12:16:46 AM
VT 8A
VT 23
VT 35
VT 53
VT 121
VT 139
VT 143
VT 144
VT 153
VT 215
VT 225
VT 235
VT 315

Dang it, I knew I forgot about something when making the thread.
—Mr. Thwomp

froggie

Mississippi examples.  I don't believe any of these are actually signed, but they do exist in state law:

MS 347
MS 369
MS 385
MS 391
MS 425
MS 467
MS 476
MS 477
MS 484
MS 508
MS 606
MS 621
MS 701
MS 702
MS 703
MS 705
MS 716
MS 723
MS 747
MS 767
MS 768
MS 768A
MS 769
MS 776
MS 777
MS 778
MS 779
MS 781
MS 806
MS 808
MS 810
MS 812
MS 820
MS 832
MS 834
MS 853
MS 894
MS 897
MS 903
MS 904
MS 905
MS 911
MS 913
MS 917

sprjus4

VA-168 is maintained locally by the cities of Chesapeake and Norfolk, including the freeway portion south of I-64 to North Carolina.

Mapmikey

Virginia has a fair number - any route completely within an independent city or incorporated town who does their own maintenance...

I'm sure I have left out a few...

VA 20 Bus
VA 34
VA 113
VA 125
VA 129
VA 132Y
VA 149
VA 152
VA 165
VA 166
VA 168
VA 169
VA 170
VA 172
VA 188
VA 190
VA 191
VA 192
VA 194
VA 196
VA 213
VA 239
VA 246
VA 247
VA 278
VA 283
VA 293
VA 304
VA 332
VA 337
VA 337 ALT
VA 350
VA 351
VA 381
VA 400
VA 401
VA 402
VA 403
VA 404
VA 405
VA 406
VA 407
VA 412
VA 413
VA 415
VA 420

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2021, 06:39:48 AM
Virginia has a fair number - any route completely within an independent city or incorporated town who does their own maintenance...

VA 20 Bus
VA 34
VA 113
VA 125
VA 129
VA 132Y
VA 149
VA 152
VA 165
VA 166
VA 168
VA 169
VA 170
VA 172
VA 188
VA 190
VA 191
VA 192
VA 194
VA 196
VA 213
VA 239
VA 246
VA 247
VA 278
VA 283
VA 293
VA 304
VA 332
VA 337
VA 337 ALT
VA 350
VA 351
VA 381
VA 400
VA 401
VA 402
VA 403
VA 404
VA 405
VA 406
VA 407
VA 412
VA 413
VA 415
VA 420
Heh.  About ten years ago, I met a VDOT guy who was very proud about how much of VA's infrastructure was maintained by VDOT...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Rothman on October 19, 2021, 06:46:24 AM

Heh.  About ten years ago, I met a VDOT guy who was very proud about how much of VA's infrastructure was maintained by VDOT...

This list is a very small fraction of the overall state highway mileage, not to mention that VDOT maintains the majority of secondary routes, too.  IIRC, Virginia has the 3rd largest number of state maintained miles (behind Texas and NC).  Even with this list, while VDOT doesn't maintain them, it does send its $ for them to the entities that do.

Max Rockatansky

AZ 303 was maintained by Maricopa County until the freeway began being built.  I actually have one of the reverse color AZ Loop 303 shields in my garage:

https://flic.kr/p/RRizgU

cl94

New York has dumped several segments of county maintenance in recent years, but a handful of 100% local maintenance routes still remain.

NY 3A (Jefferson County)
NY 148 (Niagara County)
NY 470 (Cohoes and Troy)
NY 895 (NYC)
I-695 (NYC) [NYSDOT owns the road, but NYCDOT maintains it]
I-878 (NYC) [Same deal as 695]
Business US 62 (Niagara Falls)
Bronx River Parkway (NYC and Westchester County)
Most parkways entirely within NYC
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US 89

For Utah: SR 900 and SR 901. These have been mentioned on here before, but they consist of a network of mostly low-quality roads in the Skull Valley deserts of western Utah. They were added to the state highway system in the late 90s as "public safety interest highways" so that the state could prevent construction of a nuclear-waste-carrying rail spur from the UP mainline by I-80 to the Skull Valley Goshute reservation. The entirety of both routes is still maintained by either Tooele County or the Bureau of Land Management, depending on which segment you're looking at. Unsurprisingly, 900 and 901 are not signed, and some of what is legally designated as those routes probably doesn't even qualify as a road.

(If you're curious, here is a blog post I wrote on those routes a while back.)

SR 9, 148, and 276 also have non-state-maintained sections because they go through National Park units (Zion NP, Cedar Breaks NM, and Glen Canyon NRA respectively) and are maintained by the Park Service inside those areas - but those are relatively minor parts of those routes, and there's even a weak argument to be made that those segments aren't part of their respective routes. Outside of those, UDOT maintains all of the state, US, and interstate highways in Utah.

bing101

CA-42 Firestone and Manchester Blvd.
CA-141 Benicia Rd

Both are decommissioned routes and they are maintained by the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Parkway_(California)

CA-93 Richmond Parkway is mainly maintained by the city.

JayhawkCO

To my knowledge, these do not exist in Colorado.

Chris

roadman65

In Florida it can't happen except on paper.  In Lakeland SR 35, SR 600, and SR 700 still are written along non maintained streets.  That's why. SR 37 ends at Main Street and not US 98 a few blocks north in Downtown Lakeland as well as SR 548 ending while concurrent with US 98 at Main Street east of Downtown.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on October 19, 2021, 11:11:41 AM
New York has dumped several segments of county maintenance in recent years, but a handful of 100% local maintenance routes still remain.

NY 3A (Jefferson County)
NY 148 (Niagara County)
NY 470 (Cohoes and Troy)
NY 895 (NYC)
I-695 (NYC) [NYSDOT owns the road, but NYCDOT maintains it]
I-878 (NYC) [Same deal as 695]
Business US 62 (Niagara Falls)
Bronx River Parkway (NYC and Westchester County)
Most parkways entirely within NYC
What exactly is the definition of "maintenance" to be used for this thread?  Because I go the sense that it was used in the meaning of "did the DOT just put a number on a local road for whatever reason", not to start getting technical about who does tasks like tree trimming and incidental sign replacements (granted, who does snow removal can make a big difference in road quality in the winter).  For Region 11, note that NYCDOT does all the tasks a maintenance residency would normally perform, but NYSDOT still does capital projects on most of the roads one would expect them to in any other city.  Indeed, I-695, NY 895, the Bronx River Parkway, Grand Central Parkway, Jackie Robinson Parkway, I-878, FDR Drive, Henry Hudson Parkway, Mosholu Parkway, reference route 909G (Rockaway Boulevard), the Korean War Veterans Parkway, and a small piece of the Belt Parkway all show as under NYSDOT jurisdiction in the RIS Viewer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2021, 08:31:44 PM
What exactly is the definition of "maintenance" to be used for this thread?

If a road is generally maintained by a town or county (preferably with little involvement by the state), then it counts towards the thread.
—Mr. Thwomp

Road Hog

I believe TxDOT has jurisdiction over state highways no matter whether or not they're in an incorporated area. TxDOT also maintains some major city thoroughfares that are unnumbered, or at least they do in suburban DFW.

Some counties have a "farm-to-market" component in their ad valorem property tax bills, which I assume they share with the state to maintain the FM roads.

oscar

Quote from: bing101 on October 19, 2021, 12:22:00 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Parkway_(California)

CA-93 Richmond Parkway is mainly maintained by the city.

According to cahighways.org, route 93 is only an unbuilt proposed route, never a state highway. The state legislature has defined that route, but since it's never been built to state highway standards (ditto many other routes in California's Streets and Highways Code), Caltrans treats it as existing only on paper.

Caltrans has relinquished portions of state highways to local or county government maintenance. It takes the view that those relinquished segments are no longer part of the state highway system, and that such is required by state law (which legislatively defines all mainline routes, but most business routes aren't legislatively defined and are locally-maintained). So you have some discontinuous routes like CA 1 with several gaps such as in Dana Point, Newport Beach, and Santa Monica. This is frustrating to those of us involved with the Travel Mapping project. TM's draft California state route set, as a concession to that sentiment, usually ignores mid-route relinquishments that chop up a route into little pieces, but not whole-route or end-of-route relinquishments.

In Quebec, MTQ doesn't take that approach at all. It will turn over route segments, or even entire routes (such as route 372 in Saguenay), to local maintenance (perhaps along with $ for local maintenance costs), but treat them as still part of Quebec's highway route system. Vermont does something similar, as does Hawaii here and there, and maybe some other U.S. states.

I don't feel like arguing with Caltrans over whether California state law ties its hands on locally-maintained segments of (former) state routes. But I prefer MTQ's approach.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2021, 10:53:58 AM
AZ 303 was maintained by Maricopa County until the freeway began being built.

Interesting, considering ADOT's tendency to not sign roads they don't maintain.  Worst example:  Country Club Dr. in Mesa and Arizona Ave. in Chandler, the former AZ 87, other than at US 60.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2021, 10:44:27 AM

This list is a very small fraction of the overall state highway mileage, not to mention that VDOT maintains the majority of secondary routes, too.  IIRC, Virginia has the 3rd largest number of state maintained miles (behind Texas and NC).  Even with this list, while VDOT doesn't maintain them, it does send its $ for them to the entities that do.
Sure, but my VDOT friend loved saying they took care of EVERYTHING.

Next time I'll nail him with "what abouts." :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 19, 2021, 11:36:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2021, 10:53:58 AM
AZ 303 was maintained by Maricopa County until the freeway began being built.

Interesting, considering ADOT's tendency to not sign roads they don't maintain.  Worst example:  Country Club Dr. in Mesa and Arizona Ave. in Chandler, the former AZ 87, other than at US 60.

From what I recall it was Maricopa County actually posting the shields.  Considering how short AZ 303 was that sign I have is probably pretty rare.  There is a fair chance it is the same one in this picture:

https://arizonaroads.com/arizona/az303.html

1995hoo

Who maintains VA-120? Arlington is one of two counties that does its own maintenance, but I recall there are some exceptions to that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2021, 07:03:47 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2021, 10:44:27 AM

Sure, but my VDOT friend loved saying they took care of EVERYTHING.

In all of the counties except two (Arlington and Henrico), they DO take care of everything public.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2021, 08:40:54 AM
Who maintains VA-120? Arlington is one of two counties that does its own maintenance, but I recall there are some exceptions to that.

I don't remember who does day-to-day maintenance in Arlington, but as a primary route overall responsibility is with VDOT.  A big part of the reason why Arlington wanted VA 244 decommissioned a decade ago was so that they'd have more control over Columbia Pike.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2021, 08:40:54 AM

Henrico County has the same arrangement as Arlington - although all local roads are maintained by the county, primary routes are under VDOT's jurisdiction. VDOT also maintains all bridges over primary, US, and interstate routes and all interchanges. There will often be interruptions in county maintenance posted with "begin/end state maintenance" signs when this happens.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure VA 150 is the only freeway in Virginia that is locally maintained - the segment in the City of Richmond is maintained by the city (although it is only a freeway for a rather short and discontinuous distance). I don't count VA 76 and VA 195 as they're maintained by the RMTA, which is a state-funded agency.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.