News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Another private-sector toll operator goes bankrupt

Started by cpzilliacus, July 26, 2013, 09:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2013, 12:14:57 PM
My guess is that the corporation that owns this company bought it with the intent of sucking it dry then filing for bankruptcy.  This is the sort of thing that Mitt "Mittler" Romney made popular.  Vulture capitalism at its best.

I find those sort of allegations insulting... to the vultures.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 28, 2013, 06:44:30 AMI wonder if NJDOT secretly wants tolls to never go away on the toll roads, since that helps their budget out
"secretly"
ha

froggie

I find the angst against tolls by many (including some on this forum), along with the angst against gas tax increases, to be indicative of the premise that Americans want to have infrastructure, but don't want to have to pay for it...

briantroutman

Anyone from (or familiar with) the Detroit area and could comment on the border crossing?

For many years, I've listened to a talk station based out of Windsor (CKLW) and found it somewhat odd that they almost never discuss or even acknowledge the presence of Detroit on any of their local talk shows or newscasts. I know about CanCon but wouldn't think that would be as much of an issue for talk radio.

I just get the impression that there isn't much of a cross-border community–anything approaching a similar cross-river metro area entirely within the US, like Philadelphia/South Jersey or New York/North Jersey. Granted, the international border complicates what might otherwise be a simple commute, shopping trip, night out, or whatever.

So if border-crossing demand was modest to begin with, the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, which runs downtown-to-downtown is more passenger-oriented than the Ambassador Bridge (which carries more cargo), had the most to lose.

bulldog1979

I was just reading an interesting piece linked from The Huffington Post about the cross-border relationship between Detroit and Windsor entitled, "The World's Greatest View of Detroit". Windsor is exempt from CanCon, and very much a Canadian suburb of Detroit. Its economic fortunes have risen and fallen along with Detroit's to a point.

roadman65

You know I always wanted to know about the Detroit Metro area if Windsor was included being right directly across the River!  It seems different from the Philadelphia- Camden area, but when it comes to the Niagara Falls area, it seems both Niagara Falls seem like one.  I am guessing its because the tourists visit both sides and then further south you have the big city of Buffalo to the south.  Many Canadians who live in the Niagara Region of Ontario, when wanting a big city to visit have to rely on Buffalo to go to, as Toronto is  many kilometers away for them.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.