Highways that you think are named for one, but actually named for something else

Started by roadman65, July 12, 2013, 08:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

The yield sign was named after its triangle-faced inventor, Paul Yield.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Kacie Jane

Not a highway, and I'm not sure it would properly fit the thread anyway, but King County in Washington (the county Seattle is in) was renamed in 1986.

It's always been "King County", but prior to 1986, it was named after former vice president William Rufus King. It was renamed after Martin Luther King.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on July 16, 2013, 11:29:11 PM
Quote from: Steve on July 16, 2013, 10:37:17 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 13, 2013, 04:00:04 PM
The Lincoln Tunnel was not named for the Lincoln Highway.
Despite it carrying the Lincoln once it opened.
Wrong tunnel. The Lincoln Highway used the Holland Tunnel; the Lincoln Tunnel was not built until the 1930s.
I was of the impression that the Lincoln Highway was rerouted via the Lincoln Tunnel in its waning days.

Henry

Graham Street in Charlotte comes to mind. Most people think it was named after the evangelist Billy Graham; it was not, although the parkway that runs past the CLT airport does bear his name.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on July 12, 2013, 08:03:53 PM
If a white person really gets offended by being called a "guinea" then they need to grow a fucking skin and a set of balls.  That's like being offended by the term "honky tonk" or being offended by Ritz crackers.  I'm part German and part Irish, and I wouldn't be the least bit offended if somebody called me a Kraut or a Mick.

also: what ethnicity is "ritz" a slur for?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: Steve on July 22, 2013, 04:43:54 AM
Quote from: NE2 on July 16, 2013, 11:29:11 PM
Quote from: Steve on July 16, 2013, 10:37:17 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 13, 2013, 04:00:04 PM
The Lincoln Tunnel was not named for the Lincoln Highway.
Despite it carrying the Lincoln once it opened.
Wrong tunnel. The Lincoln Highway used the Holland Tunnel; the Lincoln Tunnel was not built until the 1930s.
I was of the impression that the Lincoln Highway was rerouted via the Lincoln Tunnel in its waning days.
The last Lincoln Highway routing was from 1928, after which the association disbanded.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

The Earhart Expressway in New Orleans is named for Fred, not Amelia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.