News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Junction shield on freeway

Started by coatimundi, January 15, 2017, 01:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coatimundi

This is the only the instance I can recall of a "junction" shield on a freeway in California. I would guess it's there to emphasize the upcoming exit without putting another BGS up?

https://goo.gl/maps/pLKpbmeCd7N2

hotdogPi

I believe I-93 in Massachusetts has "JCT 128" signs because of the rule that I-95 and MA 128 cannot appear on the same sign.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sparker

Quote from: coatimundi on January 15, 2017, 01:04:31 AM
This is the only the instance I can recall of a "junction" shield on a freeway in California. I would guess it's there to emphasize the upcoming exit without putting another BGS up?

In the first years after the 1964 renumbering, when previously unsigned highways were being signed in the field for the first time, the "JCT" signs became a regular feature on several freeways -- US 101 between Ventura and Salinas seemed to have the most instances of these.  As BGS's were eventually replaced -- or some of the shorter routes (e.g. CA 224, CA 176) were eventually relinquished, the JCT signs were replaced by those BGS's or simply removed.  I made several trips from the L.A. area to the Bay Area as a college student from 1967 to 1971 and recall seeing "JCT" signs on CA 144, CA 227, CA 146, and CA 183 among others along US 101.  CA 99 also had a few pre-BGS examples, including CA 201, CA 233, and CA 219; again, these disappeared as newer BGS's were installed.

OracleUsr

They are pretty rare nationwide.  NC has one on Eastbound I-40 at the Great Smoky Mountains Expressway exit (Exit 27--US 74 West to US 19/23) that says JCT US 74.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

coatimundi

Quote from: sparker on January 16, 2017, 06:00:46 AM

In the first years after the 1964 renumbering, when previously unsigned highways were being signed in the field for the first time, the "JCT" signs became a regular feature on several freeways -- US 101 between Ventura and Salinas seemed to have the most instances of these.  As BGS's were eventually replaced -- or some of the shorter routes (e.g. CA 224, CA 176) were eventually relinquished, the JCT signs were replaced by those BGS's or simply removed.  I made several trips from the L.A. area to the Bay Area as a college student from 1967 to 1971 and recall seeing "JCT" signs on CA 144, CA 227, CA 146, and CA 183 among others along US 101.  CA 99 also had a few pre-BGS examples, including CA 201, CA 233, and CA 219; again, these disappeared as newer BGS's were installed.

Thanks for this. I found this very interesting, though I find almost all of your posts interesting.

I was hoping for a more intriguing reason, such as the one I suggested, but it seems like this is just another Caltrans instance of "They did it before, and they just forgot to stop doing it sometimes."

sparker

Quote from: coatimundi on January 17, 2017, 12:23:50 PM
Quote from: sparker on January 16, 2017, 06:00:46 AM

Thanks for this. I found this very interesting, though I find almost all of your posts interesting.

I was hoping for a more intriguing reason, such as the one I suggested, but it seems like this is just another Caltrans instance of "They did it before, and they just forgot to stop doing it sometimes."

Yeah -- this was in the Reagan era of budget-cutting; it seems as if field signage was deployed by the cheapest method possible.  There were some instances of this in the Riverside area, where I was attending college at the time -- including CA 31 trailblazer signage from both I-10 and CA 91 circa 1968 or so -- accomplished by the "JCT" stand-along signs as with the plethora of them along US 101.  Also, IIRC, the Kendall Avenue exit on I-15 (current I-215) a mile or so south of the Devore interchange had a JCT-type trailblazer for CA 206, which used that street SE toward central San Bernardino.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.