News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California Style Freeway Entrace Signage in Washington

Started by Couver, March 07, 2023, 12:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Couver

I recently took this exit in Ferndale just north of Bellingham off of I-5 and noticed these unusual to Washington freeway entrance signs which have the Interstate shield direction of travel and the arrow just like California, except this is in a different order. I've never seen this type pf freeway entrance signage in WA as usually its just the freeway entrance sign. Google street view confirms these have been here since at least 2017 if not earlier, I wonder what made WSDOT make the signs like this, Especially considering there are signs telling you which way is which just before the ramps, maybe its just for round about ramps like these? either way, its very interesting to see. https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8174257,-122.5458757,3a,75y,14.45h,78.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sb4UKJFEHQJsOwM8jVWpDmg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/c5rg1SF3Vr8WWUEe7
The last entrance uses Highway over Freeway. Probably cause of the Canadian Customs Facility nearby as BC 99 is also a freeway as I-5 is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

stevashe

Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2023, 12:35:47 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/c5rg1SF3Vr8WWUEe7
The last entrance uses Highway over Freeway. Probably cause of the Canadian Customs Facility nearby as BC 99 is also a freeway as I-5 is.

This is WSDOT standard practice when the ramp leads to a facility that is not a full freeway (you can find similar examples on SR 9 and US 2 near Snohomish. Given that there is a crosswalk across I-5 just before the border, I'd tend to agree that it isn't a full freeway here. :P

Quote from: Couver on March 07, 2023, 12:23:33 AM
I recently took this exit in Ferndale just north of Bellingham off of I-5 and noticed these unusual to Washington freeway entrance signs which have the Interstate shield direction of travel and the arrow just like California, except this is in a different order. I've never seen this type pf freeway entrance signage in WA as usually its just the freeway entrance sign. Google street view confirms these have been here since at least 2017 if not earlier, I wonder what made WSDOT make the signs like this, Especially considering there are signs telling you which way is which just before the ramps, maybe its just for round about ramps like these? either way, its very interesting to see.

Roundabouts almost always have signs at each exit from the circle in addition to signs before the intersection. Usually a freeway entrance, WSDOT would put the route assembly on a separate sign post like this, but for whatever reason, it looks like they decided to combine them here. So the fact that the signage at the Ferndale onramp resembles California's freeway entrance signage is really more of a coincidence, and it almost certainly wasn't purposeful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.