News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minnesota scenic byways

Started by agentsteel53, December 12, 2012, 03:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

(I don't know if this belongs in eastern or western, as it applies to the state as a whole... I also feel like I posted on this topic about 2 years ago but cannot find the topic.)

anyone know when those were introduced?  were there ever any 18" variants of these shields?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mdcastle

When the byways were introduced or when the signs were? There are sometimes different answers and both are complicated. Some were created and signed as such immediately when the someone in the area got it sponsored (they are reckonized by the State Scenic Byways Commission, and someone other than Mn/DOT needs to pay for the sign). Others have been known by their name for many years, and absorbed into the "system". Some have changed names and/or changed signs. Originally there was supposed to be a limit on the number of scenic byways, but that seems to have been abandoned. Avenue of Pines has never had special signs other than the generic National Forest markers.

I don't recall ever seeing 18" roadway signs. The current roadway signs (what few there are) for the Grand Rounds and the old design for the Skyline Parkway use nonstandard rectangular shapes.

The versions of the Great River Road and Grand Rounds Scenic Byways signs as used on Minneapolis trails are simplifed designs and smaller(I don't know if they're 18")  with noticably rounded corners.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Mdcastle on December 12, 2012, 11:07:53 PM
When the byways were introduced or when the signs were?
in this case, I am inquiring about the signs.  namely, when I go exploring Minnesota, is it worth scouring for older styles of these signs, or have they always been just a modern style?

QuoteThe versions of the Great River Road and Grand Rounds Scenic Byways signs as used on Minneapolis trails are simplifed designs and smaller(I don't know if they're 18")  with noticably rounded corners.

the Great River Road is older than most Minn. state scenic byways, as it is is a multistate system introduced in 1954 (and extended internationally to Ontario in 1964).  there certainly are 16/18" versions of that shield, and in fact not too long ago, there was one on eBay with the steering wheel embossed!  I'll certainly be on the lookout for 18" Great River Road shields.  I know of several in Iowa of sufficiently recent vintage that I believe that is still a standard there.

jake@aaroads.com

Mdcastle

I'm not saying there aren't 18" signs, just that I've not seen any that I've notice in the years I've been traveling. Especially with the Great River Road, which as you point out has been around for generations, and follows county roads, there may be older signs. Glacial Ridge Trail is interesting as old standard square signs are being replaced with rectangular ones to fit "scenic byway" on the bottom.

Of the modern ones, the two of the older are the Edge of the Wilderness and Waters of the Dancing Sky both have two or three color markers (I first notice these in 2001), as opposed to the more common full-color markers. I expect these to be replaced with full color markers some time in the future- the official logos for these byways have full color- as the signs for the North Shore Scenic Drive were- a two color design was replaced by a full color design.

I can give a rough order the signs were introduced if it's helpful, but most of them are very recent, like within the past 15 years.

(Also of note, one of the last two Hiawatha Pioneer Trail signs is gone, the one that was still legible on Highway 10 at 61. I haven't recently checked on the virtually illegible one on an old night speed limit blank on W 7th.)

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 13, 2012, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: Mdcastle on December 12, 2012, 11:07:53 PM
When the byways were introduced or when the signs were?
in this case, I am inquiring about the signs.  namely, when I go exploring Minnesota, is it worth scouring for older styles of these signs, or have they always been just a modern style?

QuoteThe versions of the Great River Road and Grand Rounds Scenic Byways signs as used on Minneapolis trails are simplifed designs and smaller(I don't know if they're 18")  with noticably rounded corners.

the Great River Road is older than most Minn. state scenic byways, as it is is a multistate system introduced in 1954 (and extended internationally to Ontario in 1964).  there certainly are 16/18" versions of that shield, and in fact not too long ago, there was one on eBay with the steering wheel embossed!  I'll certainly be on the lookout for 18" Great River Road shields.  I know of several in Iowa of sufficiently recent vintage that I believe that is still a standard there.
I own a 16" from Missouri.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Mdcastle on December 13, 2012, 07:50:10 PM
Glacial Ridge Trail is interesting as old standard square signs are being replaced with rectangular ones to fit "scenic byway" on the bottom.

the only ones I saw today were all rectangular.

QuoteOf the modern ones, the two of the older are the Edge of the Wilderness and Waters of the Dancing Sky both have two or three color markers (I first notice these in 2001), as opposed to the more common full-color markers.

I'd really like to know of variants of the Waters of the Dancing Sky shield.  I spotted two on the 11/71 multiplex heading into Int'l Falls tonight, and will tomorrow drive 11 east of town to the end of the road before heading to Ontario.  (Fort Frances to Thunder Bay, then down 61 to Duluth will be how I spend tomorrow)

jake@aaroads.com

Mdcastle

Also there are (or were) a lot of "Voyageurs Highway" shields in that area to, or were the last time I was in the area in 2003. They may be all gone since AFAIK there's no one to pay for fabricating new ones when the old ones are due for replacement. As far as WOTDS (one of my favorite designs) all the ones I've seen were the same standard sized square two color blue and white design. As I mentioned this is one of the older designs, one of the original group of Scenic Byways and one of the first to be signed, and as such has less color then some newer designs. The offical logo of the byway has subtle splashes of green and yellow in the lake and sky, and I expect those will eventually find their way onto the signs when they're due for replacement.

agentsteel53

I spotted two Voyageurs shields on 71.  alas, didn't stop to photograph either.  this was well past sunset - my last photo in any semblance of daylight was the MINNESOTA US 71 shield south of Bemidji. 

still there, and looking not significantly shabbier. 

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.