News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Furthest you've traveled on Street View

Started by webny99, March 28, 2020, 07:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Just exactly that: what is the furthest you've traveled on Street View in a single sitting?
To clarify, you can take a break, just like you can while driving, but if the break is more than a standard gas or rest stop (5-10 minutes) you have to reset.

I thought we had maybe done this, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I'm intrigued by interstates with a lot of truck traffic, so I jumped on I-30 at the Flying J's just outside Texarkana, cruised northeast for a while, and all of the sudden I was in Benton, AR (just outside Little Rock). I realized after the fact that's a stretch of 120 miles! Google's estimated travel time is 1hr 51min, but I know I did it in under an hour. Getting lined up properly and clicking far into the distance really increases your speed.
So that's definitely the furthest I've traveled on Street View. Time-wise, I may have spent longer browsing around in a single sitting, but certainly have never covered that much actual road mileage.

How about everyone else?

CoreySamson

I think I once traveled on I-20 from its western terminus to Abeliene in streetview but it may not count because I clicked on the minimap in the corner to go a mile at a time in the particularly boring sections.

More recently I have done some 50 mile travels on US 59 in Texas.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

CtrlAltDel

I don't think I've done more than about five miles. Usually, I'm looking for signs, and there's no need for me to just travel along. The only things I do that for are complicated interchanges, since I like seeing how all the roads weave together, but this is not a particularly long distance thing.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

oscar

Oddly enough, I think mine was on part of Yukon's Canol Road (route 6). When I was drafting a belated trip report on my 2012 travels on the entire road, from the Alaska Highway to the Northwest Territories border, I had trouble reconstructing from my notes some of the places I photographed along the road. I was surprised and pleased that GMSV had covered much of the road, including about a third of the segment northeast of the Ross River (the driver turned back well before road's end, perhaps because the unpaved road was wet and slippery that day). My GMSV re-tour covered about 190 miles, and helped me caption some of my photos.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Beltway

In one trip?  Or farthest from home?

Some the far away ones for me  --
Midway Island -- https://tinyurl.com/rswvofy
Tinian Island -- https://tinyurl.com/yxysdvb9
Hiroshima, Japan -- https://tinyurl.com/vwcaf5l
Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego Province -- https://tinyurl.com/vva5kn6
Saint-Pierre, Reunion Island -- https://tinyurl.com/t6cmgds
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: oscar on March 28, 2020, 09:43:57 PM
Oddly enough, I think mine was on part of Yukon's Canol Road (route 6). When I was drafting a belated trip report on my 2012 travels on the entire road, from the Alaska Highway to the Northwest Territories border, I had trouble reconstructing from my notes some of the places I photographed along the road. I was surprised and pleased that GMSV had covered much of the road, including about a third of the segment northeast of the Ross River (the driver turned back well before road's end, perhaps because the unpaved road was wet and slippery that day). My GMSV re-tour covered about 190 miles, and helped me caption some of my photos.
Oddly enough, my longest continuous street view run is probably also for dealing with my website's photo gallery, trying to track down the exact location of a photo on NY 22.  I must have spent more than two hours trying to find it, only to give up and try to reconstruct where it was with the driving directions and the time taken relative to the known locations of the adjacent photos, only to discover that the reason I wasn't finding it was because it's actually on NY 185.  Oops.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Verlanka

Haven't been on Street View for months, but I think farthest I've traveled using it is about 30-35 miles.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've done several editions of the Grand Cycling Tours on Street View. Each one are around 2000 miles long :sombrero:. However I did them in exactly the stages they were divided into. The longest I've done in one shot was crossing almost the entirety of Spain, over 400 miles. My speed on Street View routinely reaches 250 mph, even though my own speed record is around 375 mph, set at the Bonneville Salt Flats (Where else?) as I bridged the 37 mile gap between exits on I-80 in just 6 minutes.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

Maybe a mile or two is my record. I'm not interested by pretending to drive (though I can understand enjoying it had it been around before I had a license). I'll pick up Pegman or Pegmermaid and move it about where I want.

To be fair, I can get lost for an hour or two just enjoying the aerial photo imagery.

wanderer2575

Quote from: formulanone on March 29, 2020, 09:32:21 AM
To be fair, I can get lost for an hour or two just enjoying the aerial photo imagery.

I do that a lot, too.

I find movement in Street View to be somewhat erratic -- usually a click will move me a considerable distance along the road, but sometimes each click moves only a few feet.  Watching a video that's constantly in motion is one thing, but traveling in leaps a click at a time in Street View means nothing to me.  I primarily use the Street View to scout specific potential locations for good sign photo opportunities.

CovalenceSTU

I went about 35 miles on Highway 20 today (in Eastern Oregon) trying to find a speed sign  :-P

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 29, 2020, 09:53:53 AM
I find movement in Street View to be somewhat erratic -- usually a click will move me a considerable distance along the road, but sometimes each click moves only a few feet.  Watching a video that's constantly in motion is one thing, but traveling in leaps a click at a time in Street View means nothing to me.  I primarily use the Street View to scout specific potential locations for good sign photo opportunities.

I think you're on to something. If it were possible for the imagery to just move ahead at a constant rate, rather than having to click again and again, I think I'd use Street View to drive more often.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Verlanka

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2020, 03:17:31 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 29, 2020, 09:53:53 AM

I think you're on to something. If it were possible for the imagery to just move ahead at a constant rate, rather than having to click again and again, I think I'd use Street View to drive more often.
I'll agree to that.

TheGrassGuy

US 70, from Alamogordo to Roswell (ca. 116 mi)
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

NWI_Irish96

I have traveled infinity miles on I-465.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

I once made it my goal to go from LA to my home in Needham on google street view. Got to southern Utah before quitting.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Thunderbyrd316

I LOVE Google Street View but use this link to the Classic Maps format (ClassyGMap) to use it because I find the current one a major pain in the *** to maneuver around.  Link: https://gokml.net/maps#ll=42.345573,-71.098326&z=3&t=r

As for long distance travel, I LOVE to cruise around, sometimes on quite long excursions however I also sometimes "cheat" be skipping over segments where the scenery does not seem to change much. Some of the "trips" I have taken with minimal or no "cheating" include long stretches in Mexico, Eastern Europe, Turkey and Russia.

Once I started at Heathrow Airport and followed the M4 and A4 all the way to Buckingham Palace, then, I think it may have been the next day but cannot recall for certain, went from the "City of London" just north of London Bridge and tried to follow the signs all the way to Dover via the A2, A20 and M20 without looking at the map and only made a couple of "wrong" turns onto one way streets!

I have also "driven" both ways through the entire Istanbul metro area on the E-80, Eastbound only, all the way from the Bulgarian border. Westbound I have gone from somewhere around the Hereke exit, (I cannot recall the exact spot but am pretty sure I did not do the whole way from Izmit.) all the way out to where there is only farmland westbound.

I have done tons of other exploration as well, including some places I am VERY familiar with here in North America IRL.

texaskdog

I'd love to do the haul road from IRT or US 550 in Colorado

STLmapboy

400 miles. I-15 in Utah. A glorious waste of time but UT does a good job with it's roads.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CNGL-Leudimin

Last week I finished a Chicago to Seattle trip on Street View. Over 2000 miles. I did it hopping between Ronald McDonald Houses (this explains why I was hunting them, to use something as route points), and thus the most I did in one sitting was Bismarck to Billings at 414 miles, beating my previous record by more than 50 miles (I did a mistake in my previous post, I said my record was over 400 miles when it was "only" 360). Reaching Montana after 150 miles only to find I had 260 remaining was painful, but I managed to accomplish that.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

On my street view trip, I've gone from Ocean City Maryland on MD 90, US 50, I-495, I-270, I-70, I-68, I-79, I-70, US 40, and am now on I-80 in Salt Lake City. Am going to go to California and than back east on an undecided route.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on April 09, 2020, 01:15:01 PM
   I LOVE Google Street View but use this link to the Classic Maps format (ClassyGMap) to use it because I find the current one a major pain in the *** to maneuver around.  Link: https://gokml.net/maps#ll=42.345573,-71.098326&z=3&t=r

How the heck does the street view on this thing work?
"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

ce929wax

I think I went from Detroit to the suburbs of Cleveland once.  I need to get back on streetview and see what is out there. 

Max Rockatansky

Did a virtual tour of US 199 on Gribblenation recently.  Kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth and an even greater to head back onto the road.  It made me even regret not taking better photos in 2014 or 2016...but I find that to be common before 2017. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.