News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

I live north of Indy, but had a work assignment in Arkansas for 8 weeks. One week I drove, and I flew the other seven weeks.

With that background, the one week I drove, I took the long way to see the progress on highway. I started at US 231 near Crane where earth was being moved, but construction was only in preliminary stages. As I went south, a thunderstorm hit, but work at the SR 58 and US 50 interchanges was a bit further along. Other locations I saw were limited to tree removal, but at least it was under construction.

A couple of weeks ago I flew from Indy to Memphis on the way and from DFW to Indy on the way back so I saw the aerial view both from the east and west. That is where it is cool. You can see the 65+ miles of I-69 from north of Evansville clearly under construction, but it appeared to me that the constant thunderstorms this year may be taking its toll on the schedule. The only area where I saw no evidence of construction from the air was the approximately 4 mile section just east of Petersburg, but that contract was just awarded in early May.

I saw some overpasses, but the planes were still to high to see good details. The only paved area I could clearly see was the section just north of where I-69 terminates at SR 68. All in all, it was just pretty cool to see that so much of this much needed highway is actually being built.

mgk920

Quote from: mukade on June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM
I live north of Indy, but had a work assignment in Arkansas for 8 weeks. One week I drove, and I flew the other seven weeks.

With that background, the one week I drove, I took the long way to see the progress on highway. I started at US 231 near Crane where earth was being moved, but construction was only in preliminary stages. As I went south, a thunderstorm hit, but work at the SR 58 and US 50 interchanges was a bit further along. Other locations I saw were limited to tree removal, but at least it was under construction.

A couple of weeks ago I flew from Indy to Memphis on the way and from DFW to Indy on the way back so I saw the aerial view both from the east and west. That is where it is cool. You can see the 65+ miles of I-69 from north of Evansville clearly under construction, but it appeared to me that the constant thunderstorms this year may be taking its toll on the schedule. The only area where I saw no evidence of construction from the air was the approximately 4 mile section just east of Petersburg, but that contract was just awarded in early May.

I saw some overpasses, but the planes were still to high to see good details. The only paved area I could clearly see was the section just north of where I-69 terminates at SR 68. All in all, it was just pretty cool to see that so much of this much needed highway is actually being built.

Photos?

:poke:

:cool:

Mike

ShawnP

Last time I checked in late April it appeared almost ready to go north of it's current ending.

mukade

Quote from: mgk920 on June 25, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: mukade on June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Photos?

:poke:

:cool:

Mike
Excuses (but true ones): The drive was the day of the Joplin tornado and my destination was less than 100 miles from there. The weather was very unstable that day in Indiana and so I missed some great shots because of heavy thunderstorms. Around Washington, my wife called so I didn't take a picture there either despite it having cleared up. As for the planes, it didn't even cross my mind that I might see I-69 so all I had was my iPod Touch camera. I will drive down there in August or September on my own time.

These are all I got:

From flight IND-MEM over Crane

Looking north at current terminus at SR 68 (paved as far as you can see, but not up to SR 168)

SB US 231 at I-69 between big thunderstorms

hbelkins

It's highly unusual for roads to be built in big chunks like this. Kentucky hasn't built stretches this long of new road in years. We typically relocate roads in short segments (5 miles or so). Amazing -- and very good -- to see such a long stretch of a new road being constructed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

For those of us who were to young to see the boom of the 60's and early 70's Interstate construction. This is a big time treat and somewhat shows us that the US can still build roads and build them in a hurry.

Alex

Quote from: mukade on June 25, 2011, 06:14:19 PM

Excuses (but true ones): The drive was the day of the Joplin tornado and my destination was less than 100 miles from there. The weather was very unstable that day in Indiana and so I missed some great shots because of heavy thunderstorms. Around Washington, my wife called so I didn't take a picture there either despite it having cleared up. As for the planes, it didn't even cross my mind that I might see I-69 so all I had was my iPod Touch camera. I will drive down there in August or September on my own time.

These are all I got:

Looking north at current terminus at SR 68 (paved as far as you can see, but not up to SR 168)

We drove through Evansville on May 27th and checked out the I-69 stub as well:

vtk

Quote from: Alex on June 26, 2011, 12:41:13 PM

Those outside breakdown lanes are what, two feet wide? What's the deal with that???
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on June 29, 2011, 07:04:24 PM

Those outside breakdown lanes are what, two feet wide? What's the deal with that???

I think the outer breakdown lane is partly concrete and partly asphalt.  it's tough to tell from the contrast, but it looks to me like the width of the concrete is about 2 1/2 lanes, not just 2.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Revive 755

^ Could be the asphalt shoulder doesn't go to the same depth of the PCC pavement and a later lift has yet to be added.  That wider section of PCC at the bottom of the photo looks odd though.

tvketchum

It's a big chunk under construction because 1) Indiana's share is coming out of the toll road lease yeild and 2) the governor and INDOT took advantage of the recession and lower than expected bids. The schedule was accelerated to avoid any increase in costs.

mukade

From the Evansville Courier-Press: "UPDATE: Portion of I-69 project receives final approval on environmental impact "

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jul/25/portion-i-69-project-receives-final-approval-envir/

"The Indiana Department of Transportation announced Monday the state has completed its set of plans for a section that will run from the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center to Bloomington.

It expects to win approval from the Federal Highway Administration later this summer, and at that point, construction can begin."

wriddle082

Quote from: vtk on June 29, 2011, 07:04:24 PM
Quote from: Alex on June 26, 2011, 12:41:13 PM

The shoulders you're seeing are the asphalt underlayment for the final concrete surface.  The shoulders, when completed, will be concrete of standard widths (10' on the right and I think 4' on the left, or maybe it's 5').  At the bottom of the photo it looks like the contractor finished the shoulders on a short portion just wide enough for construction vehicles and machinery to cross both carriageways without damaging the edges of the travel lanes.  Finishing off the shoulders the rest of the way is probably one of the final construction steps in this project, followed by rumble strip grinding, diamond grinding the travel lanes, and finally striping.

I should also add that I commend InDOT for building this highway correctly the first time with concrete!  Having recently moved from a state that primarily uses asphalt (Tennessee) to one that recently built several new roads in concrete (South Carolina), it's good to see other states spend the extra money for a surface that I feel provides more advantages than disadvantages, both from a longevity and a safety standpoint.

mukade

I would say those are the final shoulders. Below is a photo from the recently-opened US 24 east of Fort Wayne. It has PCCP, but with asphalt shoulders. The new US 31 freeway has the same thing, but the high volume freeways generally get PCCP for everything.

ShawnP

Looks like Pete Rahn's "Pratical Design" has made it to the Hoosier State.

mukade

More I-69 news from today: Daniels renews support for I-69 during Crane Technology Park ceremony... "we'll see it (I-69) through in Bloomington, whether they like it or not"

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=206&ArticleID=61068

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

Like I have said before maybe INDOT can remove all exits in Monroe County or at least make them toll. Shallow yes but given the pain in the butt the NIMBY's in Monroe County have been it's well, well deserved.

njroadhorse

Quote from: tvketchum on July 22, 2011, 05:44:40 PM
It's a big chunk under construction because 1) Indiana's share is coming out of the toll road lease yeild and 2) the governor and INDOT took advantage of the recession and lower than expected bids. The schedule was accelerated to avoid any increase in costs.

Well played on INDOT's part to acceleerate things. I wish other DOTs would do that sometimes.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Grzrd

Section 2 (I-64 to Indiana 64) and Section 3 (Indiana 64 to Crane) are both still on track to be open to traffic by December, 2012.  FHWA is expected to issue a ROD regarding Section 4 (Crane to Bloomington) tomorrow [some construction photos are included with the linked article]:
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/aug/29/no-headline---ev_interstate69/

Interstate 69 from Evansville to Crane is on time and under budget, say Indiana Department of Transportation officials who hope to soon say the same about the stretch from there to Bloomington, Ind.
With a decision from the Federal Highway Administration expected Friday, contractors may proceed with construction on the Crane to Bloomington corridor, known as Section 4, said Cher Elliott, spokeswoman for INDOT's Vincennes District.
The highway I-69 route roughly parallels Indiana 57 northeast from I-64 to U.S. 50 at Washington, where it bypasses the town to the east and extends north to U.S. 231 and Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center and then to Bloomington, Ind.
The federal "record of decision" is necessary to use federal funds on the Section 4 stretch, which will be paid for with state gasoline tax and federal transportation funds, Elliott said. The estimated cost is $384 million ...
Section 2, which runs roughly from Interstate 64 north to just past Indiana 64 near Oakland City, will be half finished by late November, she said. Section 3, which ends at Crane, is halfway done.
Both sections are expected to open to traffic by December 2012. The fourth section, from Crane to Bloomington, is expected to open to traffic in 2014 ...
However, progress on the segment nearest Bloomington remains on hold pending the resolution of a dispute with the Bloomington/Monroe County Metropolitan Planning Organization. The group is responsible, by federal law, for coordinating transportation projects in its area. However, it did not include the I-69 extension in an updated local transportation plan approved in May.
In order to receive federal funds, all road-building projects must be included in the transportation plans of any such organization through which the roads would pass, in addition to regional and state plans.
Indiana Transportation Commissioner Michael Cline has said he will not give the plan the state approval it needs to make it official.
Sarvis said the state can continue planning on the disputed I-69 segment under the authority of the existing transportation plan but construction needs an updated, approved plan.
No timeline has been set to complete the last sections of I-69 which follow the route of Indiana 37 from Bloomington to Indianapolis."

roadman65

I looked at Rand McNally's latest in Wal Mart and still see no showing of progress of freeways between Evansville and Indy.  I am glad to hear that it is happening.  Too bad they can't build it inside the 465 loop like originally planned, it would be interesting to see those ghost ramps to be used at the North- East end of the I-65 and I-70 con-currency that were abandoned.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2011, 08:20:08 PM
I looked at Rand McNally's latest in Wal Mart and still see no showing of progress of freeways between Evansville and Indy.  I am glad to hear that it is happening.  Too bad they can't build it inside the 465 loop like originally planned, it would be interesting to see those ghost ramps to be used at the North- East end of the I-65 and I-70 con-currency that were abandoned.

Every example I can think of where an interchange with ghost ramps had the missing freeway built, the interchange in question was partially or entirely redesigned anyway.  Even if I-69 were built through central Indianapolis, I think it's far more likely the whole downtown freeway system would be reconfigured, rather than simply hooking up to the stubs and building out the original design.  After all, those highways were designed to handle projected traffic up to something like 1980 at best.  Channeling even more traffic through downtown without a complete redesign would be unthinkable for most planners.

tdindy88

Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2011, 08:20:08 PM

The new Indiana highway map does have the I-69 corridor marked as "under construction" all the way to US 231 at Crane and has the new exits along the route marked.

Duke87

Quote from: vtk on September 04, 2011, 08:56:02 PM
Every example I can think of where an interchange with ghost ramps had the missing freeway built, the interchange in question was partially or entirely redesigned anyway.

Counterexample: I-84/CT 9.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vtk

Quote from: Duke87 on September 05, 2011, 07:16:24 PM
Quote from: vtk on September 04, 2011, 08:56:02 PM
Every example I can think of where an interchange with ghost ramps had the missing freeway built, the interchange in question was partially or entirely redesigned anyway.

Counterexample: I-84/CT 9.

How long between initial construction and completion?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.