News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 01, 2014, 11:03:14 PM
So I was screwing around on Historic Aerials the other day and found a few things relating back to DE 1's construction that were interesting.

The first was a traffic light at the Christiana Mall that appears to be on the mainline.  I knew this configuration existed prior to noticing it on HA, but it reignited curiosity as to what this actually looked like.  Does anyone of pictures of this old setup, from satellite or from the ground?

Yes, their was a traffic light, but to see where it was, you need to look at an older quad. It was where the loop ramp to the Mall met the roadway leading east:

I recall the signal very well. It was a set of span-wire strung Econolite signals. If you took the loop ramp to Christiana Mall from DE 7 southbound, you just avoided them. I may have a glimpse of them on one of my old road videos.

Looking at the quad you posted, the ramps leading east were removed when construction was underway, so there never was a traffic light on the eventual DE 1 mainline:

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 01, 2014, 11:03:14 PM

The second appears to be either early plans for the Tybouts Corner interchange, or an early configuration of it.  Was the access ramp to DE 1 north ever that far back?  A quick glance at Google Maps shows what appears to be grading for this supposed ramp.

Not familiar with that ramp movement, but I see the grading you mention in the 1992 aerials of the interchange. Must have been an earlier proposal. It makes sense to have the on-ramp to the west, as it serves US 13 southbound better than a left-hand turn onto Hamburg Road would have.

cpzilliacus

delaware.newszap.comSome motorists using alternate routes to avoid tolls, save money

QuoteDOVER – To pay the toll or not to pay the toll?

QuoteThat is the question.

QuoteIt's a question motorists are pondering more after weekend tolls increased a month ago on Del 1.

QuoteStarting Aug 1, the state increased the weekend rate from $2 to $3 for all vehicle classes, except oversized loads, from 7 p.m. Friday to 11 p.m. Sunday.

QuoteWeekday and ramp tolls in Smyrna and Dover didn't change. But Delaware officials announced a $1 increase at the highway's main plazas in June when it appeared the General Assembly wouldn't consider the governor's proposed 10-cents per gallon gasoline tax hike.

QuoteThe toll increase is anticipated to net the state another $10 million. That money will be combined with $20 million in borrowing this fiscal year to fund statewide paving and transportation projects, officials said.

QuoteSo, more motorists are looking for alternate routes – on "free"  roads – to avoid paying those tolls.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 02, 2014, 06:32:56 PM
QuoteSo, more motorists are looking for alternate routes – on "free"  roads – to avoid paying those tolls.
Road, singular - US 13 is just fine.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
Must have been an earlier proposal. It makes sense to have the on-ramp to the west, as it serves US 13 southbound better than a left-hand turn onto Hamburg Road would have.

True, although personally I'd prefer the one on the east because I typically use that movement when coming from Red Lion Road or Hamburg Road.  The light cycle at US 13 / Hamburg Road is an absolute pain at any given time.

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2014, 07:57:43 PM
My family has taken to skipping the Biddles Corner toll plaza by exiting/reentering at the exits on either side of the toll.  Doing that for a round trip saves us about $10 when we take two cars.
👉😎👉

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2014, 07:57:43 PM

For shunpiking the barrier just south of the C&D Canal bridge, I agree.

But for shunpiking the barrier at Dover, U.S. 13 is one alternative.  But for northbound Del. 1. movements, Del. 9 (turn right just before DAFB) might be a better alternative.

Your  mileage may vary.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

So now DE Shunpiking isn't just for the Newark Plaza ($4 each way w/no E-Z Pass discounts) along I-95 anymore.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

How does one shunpike that toll? Take MD Exit 109 for MD (and DE) Route 279 North and then onto DE 4/896 South (College Ave)? :P

PHLBOS

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 09, 2014, 11:04:09 AM
How does one shunpike that toll? Take MD Exit 109 for MD (and DE) Route 279 North and then onto DE 4/896 South (College Ave)? :P
Precisely!  I've done such for many years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex4897

Could this be the first recognition of DE 279 by DelDOT?

This is northbound on Elkton Road at Christiana Pkwy, if you couldn't tell from the picture.

Sorry for the bad quality, I had to use a friend's phone because my phone's camera went kaput, and I chose a bad spot on the bus to get a good shot.  If anyone else wants to get a better shot of this then please do so.
👉😎👉

KEVIN_224

Damn! I went past that spot in mid-June and don't remember seeing that assembly. I was with a friend heading northeast from the Motel 6 in Elkton, MD and turned there, going over I-95 and past U of DE. The only sign pic I took near there was the big blue welcome sign at the state line.

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 15, 2014, 07:09:51 PM

<snip>

This is northbound on Elkton Road at Christiana Pkwy, if you couldn't tell from the picture.

Sorry for the bad quality, I had to use a friend's phone because my phone's camera went kaput, and I chose a bad spot on the bus to get a good shot.  If anyone else wants to get a better shot of this then please do so.

MDRoads photographed end and begin shields for DE 279 back in March. I'll be checking it out later on this month when I am back in Newark.

Laura

Quote from: Alex on September 15, 2014, 07:57:17 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on September 15, 2014, 07:09:51 PM

<snip>

MDRoads photographed end and begin shields for DE 279 back in March. I'll be checking it out later on this month when I am back in Newark.

Haha, yep. I was present but asleep at the time ;)

NJRoadfan

I spotted the BEGIN DE-279 on the MD line back in June. There was no END sign going south though.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 15, 2014, 11:54:35 PM
I spotted the BEGIN DE-279 on the MD line back in June. There was no END sign going south though.
The only END sign is NB, and I saw that many months ago.

Alex4897

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet:

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2014/09/21/bus-overturns-del-red-lion-road-exit/16015463/

A tour bus en route to New York coming from DC flipped on the loop ramp in the DE 1 Tybouts Corner interchange.  (DE 1 S -> US 13 N)   The wreck occurred at 4:20 PM yesterday, has claimed 2 lives so far, and has prompted a potentially year-long investigation by the NTSB.

One thing that makes me curious is why the bus made such a detour onto DE 1, when it could've just stayed on I-95.  PM rush tends to back up DE 1 S, and I'd imagine US 13/40 is a parking lot at this time of day.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

The accident occurred on a September Sunday, so it wouldn't have been affected by rush hour traffic or beach traffic.

The only legit theory is that the bus driver was seriously lost. Maybe his directions had him picking up US 1 in PA or NJ, and he saw DE 1 in Delaware first. Still not a direct route to NYC, but it's the only thing I could think of for turning off of 95 in Delaware.

I don't take that ramp often so I don't exactly recall the signage for advisory limits, but the driver obviously wasn't taking any precautions approaching this curve.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 23, 2014, 09:07:51 AM
I don't take that ramp often so I don't exactly recall the signage for advisory limits, but the driver obviously wasn't taking any precautions approaching this curve.

I don't seem to remember a large amount of signage warning of the loop.  I take the exit for Red Lion Rd. everyday and there's nothing that's visible from that exit.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 23, 2014, 11:26:47 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 23, 2014, 09:07:51 AM

I don't seem to remember a large amount of signage warning of the loop.  I take the exit for Red Lion Rd. everyday and there's nothing that's visible from that exit.

Looking at the GSVs (taken in 2013 & 2012), you're right...there are no advisory limits whatsoever for those ramps there.

Alex

Just drove Delaware 279. It only gets three shields in total (two begin and one end) and no shielding at DE 4 and 896. No shields posted on Otts Chapel Road north either, they just removed the DE 2 shields instead. The last westbound shield ahead of the state line was not retained either.

Will drive former Delaware 2 Business this weekend and see what other nonsense I can find. Will post some pics later.

Alex

Drove all around Newark the last three days and can confirm all references along the former mainline of business loop of Delaware 2 are gone. Side streets in Newark still retain DE 2 shields however,  predating the business loop no less, on Academy St,  Chapel St and College Avenue.

There is also a begin DE 2 shield on Library Avenue north bound now.

Updated the Delaware 279 guide just now. Photos of the three shields:

Alex4897

I see they still haven't fixed that "East" 896 guide in the second photo.
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 29, 2014, 08:06:35 PM
I see they still haven't fixed that "East" 896 guide in the second photo.

"Take down all DE 2 biz signs, ignore everything else"

Ten years of that error no less...

PurdueBill

Geez, a correct NORTH banner was even there above the Business 2 stuff and it left the premises instead of moving up the post.  I'll be there in a few weeks....maybe I should go try to correct it myself somehow.  :P

Alex

Delaware 273 was dropped from its needless overlap with Delaware 9 in New Castle. A new end sign was installed where the state route east intersects Delaware 141 north and the turn of Delaware 9 to bypass the city street grid. Signage still remains further east for SR 273 however, including the original end assembly.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on October 03, 2014, 03:10:40 PM

Delaware 273 was dropped from its needless overlap with Delaware 9 in New Castle. A new end sign was installed where the state route east intersects Delaware 141 north and the turn of Delaware 9 to bypass the city street grid. Signage still remains further east for SR 273 however, including the original end assembly.
Looks like somebody mixed up which shields get Series C and which ones get Series D.  IMHO, the DE 141 numerals should be Series D and the 273 shield should be Series C; the opposite of what's shown.

Also, what's with the different thicknesses between the 141 and 273 numerals?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.