Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 30, 2015, 01:20:27 AM
http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5677

Looks like beach traffic is going to get a whole lot messier on Route 1 in the next few years.

Basic rundown:

Thompsonville Road Grade Separated Intersection project is ongoing.
Little Heaven Grade Separated Intersection project begins in October.
South Frederica Grade Separated Intersection project begins spring 2016.
NE Front St Grade Separated Intersection project begins fall 2017.
That's why US 13 is there.

ekt8750

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 30, 2015, 11:23:01 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on August 30, 2015, 01:20:27 AM
http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5677

Looks like beach traffic is going to get a whole lot messier on Route 1 in the next few years.

Basic rundown:

Thompsonville Road Grade Separated Intersection project is ongoing.
Little Heaven Grade Separated Intersection project begins in October.
South Frederica Grade Separated Intersection project begins spring 2016.
NE Front St Grade Separated Intersection project begins fall 2017.

You mean 113. All of those intersections are south of Dover after the DE1 freeway ends and it doesn't meet up with US 13 at all after that.

Alex4897

No, it really isn't.

Quote from: ekt8750 on August 30, 2015, 01:24:47 PM
You mean 113.
US 113 would only help for the NE Front Street interchange project.
👉😎👉

froggie

Given my experience when the North Frederica and DE 30 interchanges were built, the concerns about messy beach traffic are somewhat overblown.  Furthermore, eliminating the Little Heaven and Thompsonville signals as part of the construction will mitigate the traffic concerns as well.

ekt8750

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 31, 2015, 01:44:50 AM
No, it really isn't.

You mean 113.

Depends on which beach you're going to. If you're going to say Ocean City, you're taking US 113 to MD 90 or US 50 anyway.

davewiecking

Quote from: ekt8750 on August 31, 2015, 10:22:12 AM
No, it really isn't.

You mean 113.

Depends on which beach you're going to. If you're going to say Ocean City, you're taking US 113 to MD 90 or US 50 anyway.
or DE 20/54 if you're heading towards OC's north end. And if you're coming across the WPL Mem Br, you're more concerned with the upcoming widening of MD 404, a project which had some surveyor activity this afternoon, and deserves its own thread.

ixnay

Quote from: davewiecking on August 31, 2015, 10:34:55 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on August 31, 2015, 10:22:12 AM
No, it really isn't.

You mean 113.

or DE 20/54 if you're heading towards OC's north end.

Not to mention Fenwick Island.

Or DE 26 if you want to endure the construction zone getting into Bethany Beach from the west.  Pick your poison for Bethany or Indian River:  DE 1 past the outlets or DE 26 past the barrels.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

davewiecking

Barrels along 26 haven't been much of a problem. Wait until the lane closures resume in a few days...

ixnay

Quote from: davewiecking on September 01, 2015, 08:15:57 PM
Barrels along 26 haven't been much of a problem. Wait until the lane closures resume in a few days...

The jazz funeral on Bethany's boards will still be echoing when blockages return the day after...

http://www.coastalpoint.com/content/daytime_lane_closures_route_26_resume_early_%E2%80%94_sept_8_09_04_2015

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ixnay

Will there ever be a bridge between Bowers and South Bowers?  Per Google Maps, they're about 14 miles apart by road although they are across the narrow Murderkill from each other.

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on September 23, 2015, 07:20:01 AM
Will there ever be a bridge between Bowers and South Bowers?  Per Google Maps, they're about 14 miles apart by road although they are across the narrow Murderkill from each other.

ixnay
Doubtful. They'd either have to take property or build over a tributary just beyond the end of South Bowers Rd. I imagine that people living there are fine with the situation, since they chose to live there.

allniter89

Quote from: Alps on September 23, 2015, 05:24:41 PM

ixnay
Doubtful. They'd either have to take property or build over a tributary just beyond the end of South Bowers Rd. I imagine that people living there are fine with the situation, since they chose to live there.
Perhaps the locals use a boat to travel between Bowers & S Bowers.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

davewiecking

DelDOT Debuts High-Friction Surface Treatments Ahead of Storm
http://www.wboc.com/story/30156302/deldot-debuts-high-friction-surface-treatments-ahead-of-storm

Kind of misleading. Headline seems to indicate that DelDOT has found a way to keep people from skidding during times such as this weekend when the forecast calls for 12" of rain over several days. In reality, they are in the middle of a 3 year project to treat some problem areas, and are going to pause the project for the upcoming Nor'Easter followed by Hurricane Joaquin. Should be an interesting weekend...

ixnay

Quote from: allniter89 on September 29, 2015, 02:09:58 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 23, 2015, 05:24:41 PM

ixnay
Perhaps the locals use a boat to travel between Bowers & S Bowers.

Given the long drive around, it (a boat) would surely come in handy.

ixnay

Alex4897

DelDOT has apparently broken ground on the DE 1 Little Heaven Grade Separated Intersection:

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5793

I'm looking forward to its completion, the current setup is notorious for causing miles long backups during he summer months.
👉😎👉

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 11, 2015, 12:04:49 AM
DelDOT has apparently broken ground on the DE 1 Little Heaven Grade Separated Intersection:

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5793

I'm looking forward to its completion, the current setup is notorious for causing miles long backups during he summer months.

From the link...

"Today, DelDOT also invited state officials to help unveil a new slogan to celebrate the upcoming work to make Delaware's roadways safer and more efficient. The slogan, "Making strides to improve your ride," will be displayed at DelDOT worksites throughout the state."

At least one other state has taken notice of Maryland's rhyming greeting signs at construction zones (the Free State has been using them for at least 20 years)...

ixnay

mariethefoxy

I was down in Delmar over thanksgiving, if Route 54 is on the border line between Delaware and Maryland, how do they decide if it has the Delaware shield or the Maryland one. the segment in downtown Delmar has the MD shield, but closer to US 13 it has the DE shield.

J N Winkler

Those types of situations tend to be handled on a case-by-case basis by agreement and it is often the case that one state undertakes to construct and maintain route segments that lie entirely outside its own territory, with the agreement and cooperation of the other state (e.g. the approximate one-mile segment of Wyoming SR 70 that actually lies in Colorado).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

In the case of MD/DE 54, it's similar to what J N describes:  the route shield (MD or DE) corresponds to who has maintenance/jurisdiction over that segment.

noelbotevera

Quote from: froggie on November 30, 2015, 12:14:50 PM
In the case of MD/DE 54, it's similar to what J N describes:  the route shield (MD or DE) corresponds to who has maintenance/jurisdiction over that segment.
Does that mean there's DE shields on the MD side of the border and vice versa?

froggie

mariethefoxy

also on the subject of Delmar, Bi-State Blvd on google maps is Alt US 13 but there are no signs on it to indicate that, is that a former Alt route or just an error on google maps?

MD 675 is pretty well signed however. (The Maryland part of Bi-State Blvd)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 01, 2015, 01:47:42 AM
also on the subject of Delmar, Bi-State Blvd on google maps is Alt US 13 but there are no signs on it to indicate that, is that a former Alt route or just an error on google maps?

That may have been U.S. 13 itself in the very distant past.  I do not ever recall seeing it signed as U.S. 13 or U.S. 13 Alternate, but others here know Delaware better than I.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 01, 2015, 10:26:16 AM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 01, 2015, 01:47:42 AM

That may have been U.S. 13 itself in the very distant past.  I do not ever recall seeing it signed as U.S. 13 or U.S. 13 Alternate, but others here know Delaware better than I.

It's looking like it probably was US 13 at some point.  Using this classification map, the DelDOT control number is 13.  Looking around, the number sometime matches the route number; sometimes it doesn't.  http://deldot.gov/information/pubs_forms/func_maps/pdf/FC3SC.pdf .  And looking thru this list, there's no 13A.  http://www.deldot.gov/information/pubs_forms/manuals/traffic_counts/2014/pdf/2014_Sussex_CountyRLTable.pdf  So there's probably a good chance it never was Alt US 13.

Alex4897

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 03, 2015, 08:47:35 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on December 03, 2015, 07:46:28 PM
US 301 spur if anything at all. I could see it being signed as "TO 301" and "TO 896" for south / northbound traffic respectively.
Won't DelDOT have to sign Alternate U.S. 301 somewhere when they get the "new" (and tolled) U.S. 301 completed?

Do you remember U.S. 301 North and U.S. 301 South in Delaware?

Not personally, I wasn't around for that but I am aware of the history lol

Apparently the DRBA is on the verge of starting another I-295 / US 13 / US 40 interchange project.  This time they're moving the US 13 N > I-295 S from its current u-turn ramp configuration to a traditional cloverleaf on the other side of the interstate, adding a third lane to I-295 S for a consistent 3 lanes through the interchange, and tweaking a few other minor things.

Delaware Online article
PDF of the DRBA's plans
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.