News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Mandela effects that happened to you

Started by Poiponen13, January 04, 2024, 10:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

What Mandela effects (false memories) happened to you? For example, a Mandela effect is that Nelson Mandela would have died in prison in the 1980s, but in reality he died only in 2013. Other examples are e.g. Pikachu's tail having a black end and Berenstain Bears spelled as "Berenstein Bears". What such events happened to you?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2024, 11:29:29 AM
This is already a topic.  Post over there.

Road World Mandela Effect Examples
That is only for road-related mandelas. This one is more generic.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 04, 2024, 11:40:09 AM

You know what?  The entire time that thread ran, I thought it was "Real World Mandela Effect Examples".  I didn't realize it was "Road World" until you pointed it out just now.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Perhaps this is the opposite of what the OP was envisioning.  In 1992, I called one of my old railroad friends and he sheepishly asked "Is this a REALLY long distance call".  The day before, he had heard from some other railroaders that I had recently died from a heart attack in a large European city.   The story goes on that supposedly my mother called one of my former employees at his worksite in Western Pennsylvania, told him the sad news, and said that he was alphabetically first on the list of railroad contacts.  Somehow, the false story spread quickly to railroad headquarters.  For the record, I had never stepped foot out of the country as an adult by then.

Exactly 10 years later, I was indeed on a project site working in that same European city.  Fortunately, no heart attack.

1995hoo

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 04, 2024, 10:59:36 AM
What Mandela effects (false memories) happened to you? For example, a Mandela effect is that Nelson Mandela would have died in prison in the 1980s, but in reality he died only in 2013. Other examples are e.g. Pikachu's tail having a black end and Berenstain Bears spelled as "Berenstein Bears". What such events happened to you?

I remember Poiponen13 making a well thought out, intelligent, useful post on the AARoads Forum. In reality, no such thing has ever happened.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 04, 2024, 11:44:33 AM
Exactly 10 years later, I was indeed on a project site working in that same European city.  Fortunately, no heart attack.

Did you have to stop and think about it, just for a minute, before accepting that project?
Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2024, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 04, 2024, 11:40:09 AM

You know what?  The entire time that thread ran, I thought it was "Real World Mandela Effect Examples".  I didn't realize it was "Road World" until you pointed it out just now.
I love how the related thread is itself an example of this.  And yes, I thought the same thing.

What's interesting is that your link even says "Road World" and the post doesn't seem to be edited!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2024, 11:57:46 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 04, 2024, 10:59:36 AM

I remember Poiponen13 making a well thought out, intelligent, useful post on the AARoads Forum. In reality, no such thing has ever happened.

What if the post you quoted is itself a well thought out, intelligent, and useful post? This could get complicated quickly.  :sombrero:

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on January 04, 2024, 12:52:42 PM
What's interesting is that your link even says "Road World" and the post doesn't seem to be edited!

That's because I used copy-and-paste.
Male pronouns, please.

Molandfreak

I thought Toy Story 3 had been out for years when it was released. I think I read an article about the Circle 6 Animation version when it wasn't certain that Disney would purchase Pixar, and just imagined the actual movie in a dream.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Max Rockatansky

People at work seem to believe that I was somehow involved with a showing off a security video which supposedly had a ghost on it.  I find that odd since I don't believe in such things nor have ever attempt to prank anyone in a way that involved ghosts.  The story seems to have taken a life unto itself and I just don't confirm or deny when asked about it now. 

Rothman

I remember when AARoads was totally free from trash posts.

Huh.  Guess it never was...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

I distinctly remember seeing a post on MTR stating that there was a four-way concurrency (going east, west, north, and south on four signed highways at the same time) but searches on Google Groups (f/k/a DejaNews) don't reveal such a post.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2024, 03:21:46 PM
I distinctly remember seeing a post on MTR stating that there was a four-way concurrency (going east, west, north, and south on four signed highways at the same time) but searches on Google Groups (f/k/a DejaNews) don't reveal such a post.

Too bad they didn't know about the silent all-way concurrency in Knoxville.
Male pronouns, please.

Poiponen13

In had always thought National Geographic and Reader's Digest being British than American newspapers

kphoger

I once thought that the shower curtain flapping inward when you turn on the shower was due to the sudden differential in air temperature.

But I was wrong.

But that's not the Mandel Effect either.
Male pronouns, please.

CNGL-Leudimin

I somehow remember some place in Catalonia named Canonge, either from a sign or a map, but somehow cannot find it. The most likely explanation is that it was a street named after a canon (as in the religious rank, which is what canonge translates to).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheHighwayMan3561

I remember being in Duluth back in 2006 taking a long walk on the city's lakewalk late one afternoon in the late winter. Walking back to my hotel I remember going through a run down neighborhood that I had never seen before and made me extremely uncomfortable somehow like this place didn't seem real. I have never found this place again when I have searched for it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

I had a dream once.  But it turns out that wasn't really my house in the dream, even though I really thought it was at the time.

Does that count as the Mandela Effect too?
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2024, 10:31:37 AM
I had a dream once.  But it turns out that wasn't really my house in the dream, even though I really thought it was at the time.

Does that count as the Mandela Effect too?
Yes, but I might be having a Mandela effect about the rules of the Mandela effect.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Leela on Futurama having three breasts.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jlam

Quote from: Takumi on January 30, 2024, 05:35:01 PM
Leela on Futurama having three breasts.
Probably thinking of Total Recall

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.