News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VA I-81 Corridor Improvement Plan

Started by 1995hoo, January 08, 2019, 12:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: vdeane on January 19, 2019, 10:06:43 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 18, 2019, 10:39:38 PM
^ For certain sections.  But the entirety of I-90 in Mass is toll-supported.

Except the issue in question is charging tolls, not supporting with toll dollars.

Tell that to the trucks on the Mass Pike...

02 Park Ave

Quote from: Jim on January 17, 2019, 01:13:15 PM

I've never heard of anything like this.  Why in the world would I not have the right to exit the highway and re-enter wherever I want, regardless of whether it's to avoid a toll or not?  Are there places that such monitoring is in place?  If so, is there some kind of fine applied?

If one is willfully avoiding a toll, one should be prosecuted.  If there is a passenger in the vehicle, conspiracy charges should be brought.
C-o-H

kalvado

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 20, 2019, 04:16:05 PM

I've never heard of anything like this.  Why in the world would I not have the right to exit the highway and re-enter wherever I want, regardless of whether it's to avoid a toll or not?  Are there places that such monitoring is in place?  If so, is there some kind of fine applied?

If one is willfully avoiding a toll, one should be prosecuted.  If there is a passenger in the vehicle, conspiracy charges should be brought.
And whoever considers avoiding toll should be prosecuted for thoughtcrime.
But fortunately, this is not how things work.

Takumi

Slippery slope much?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Takumi on January 20, 2019, 04:44:12 PM

Slippery slope much?

Yes, it snows and ices over in the mountains of Virginia.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sprjus4

Damn, way to strip the free use of the public ramps and roadways. Should we make every surrounding road private, put gates at the exit, and check and make sure everybody exiting is local traffic?

jeffandnicole

I've never once heard you say that when it comes to all the people that talk about avoiding the $4 toll on Delaware.

If I'm using 295 instead of the NJ Turnpike, am I willfully avoiding a toll and should be sentence to prison?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 20, 2019, 05:01:17 PM

I've never once heard you say that when it comes to all the people that talk about avoiding the $4 toll on Delaware.

If I'm using 295 instead of the NJ Turnpike, am I willfully avoiding a toll and should be sentence to prison?
I sense obvious sarcasm.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kalvado

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 20, 2019, 05:06:55 PMI sense obvious sarcasm.
Problem is that these days one person sarcasm is another guy campaign promise.

sprjus4

50 years in prison, you're a criminal. You chose not to pay the $10 toll and instead use other, free, public roads.

Takumi

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2019, 04:48:33 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 20, 2019, 04:44:12 PM

Slippery slope much?

Yes, it snows and ices over in the mountains of Virginia.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 20, 2019, 05:06:55 PM

I sense obvious sarcasm.

I was hoping that there was simply just a forgetfulness to use the sarcasm font. I hope.  :-|
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

sprjus4

froggie

This whole thread is headed to the gallows...

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on January 20, 2019, 08:35:14 PM

I propose that all replies after (but not including) #150 be deleted, and that this thread remain open.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 20, 2019, 05:50:43 PM

I sense obvious sarcasm.

I was hoping that there was simply just a forgetfulness to use the sarcasm font. I hope.  :-|
I think that's obvious enough to not have the font needed.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 20, 2019, 09:05:16 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 20, 2019, 05:50:43 PM

I sense obvious sarcasm.

I think that's obvious enough to not have the font needed.

Its hard enough to type on a phone (and with constant autocorrecting stuff that's not wrong!). /Sarcasm overlooked!

1995hoo

To keep it road-related, maybe VDOT should toll Gallows Road in Fairfax County to snag people trying to avoid Beltway slowdowns without using the HO/T lanes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 21, 2019, 11:11:21 AM

To keep it road-related, maybe VDOT should toll Gallows Road in Fairfax County to snag people trying to avoid Beltway slowdowns without using the HO/T lanes.
Each and every inch travelled should be tolled. We can apply toll either to total mileage travelled - or it may be easier just to toll via gas purchases. Just add that many cents to price of gas and call it toll.
Oh wait....

sprjus4

Quote from: kalvado on January 21, 2019, 12:19:57 PM

Each and every inch travelled should be tolled. We can apply toll either to total mileage travelled - or it may be easier just to toll via gas purchases. Just add that many cents to price of gas and call it toll.
Oh wait....
Boom, let's put a toll on gas purchases. They don't like tax increases, so let's call it a toll and they'll love it.

1995hoo

Oh wait....

I used to work with a black guy (his color is relevant for reasons I will explain) who initially thought a tax based on the miles you drive would be a good idea. Then I pointed out how that would require GPS monitoring or similar in order to determine what jurisdiction(s) you need to compensate, and I then suggested this could have a sinister downside: "Mr. Stewart, you're black. Why were you driving through that all-white neighborhood at two in the morning?"  His eyes got very wide and he decided maybe a mileage tax isn't a great idea!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 21, 2019, 01:04:16 PM

Oh wait....

I used to work with a black guy (his color is relevant for reasons I will explain) who initially thought a tax based on the miles you drive would be a good idea. Then I pointed out how that would require GPS monitoring or similar in order to determine what jurisdiction(s) you need to compensate, and I then suggested this could have a sinister downside: "Mr. Stewart, you're black. Why were you driving through that all-white neighborhood at two in the morning?"  His eyes got very wide and he decided maybe a mileage tax isn't a great idea!
eah, mileage tax would be a great idea if it could be reasonably implemented...

vdeane

But is it even POSSIBLE to reasonably implement a mileage tax?  Either everything goes to your home jurisdiction no matter what, or some centralized tracking method is needed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thing 342

Quote from: vdeane on January 21, 2019, 07:53:31 PM
But is it even POSSIBLE to reasonably implement a mileage tax?  Either everything goes to your home jurisdiction no matter what, or some centralized tracking method is needed.
Virginia requires annual safety inspections, so I don't see why they couldn't simply log the odometer each year and calculate the tax from that...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 21, 2019, 10:52:25 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 21, 2019, 07:53:31 PM
Virginia requires annual safety inspections, so I don't see why they couldn't simply log the odometer each year and calculate the tax from that...

But what if I was In Idaho with my car for 11 months during that year? VA gets the money even though I drove in another state the entire time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.