News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Volunteer Cartography for Disaster Relief

Started by berberry, May 05, 2015, 02:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berberry

This came to my attention after the Nepal earthquake, and given the high level of love for maps I've seen on this forum, I think it might be a good idea to share the information.

Map Give is a website dedicated to providing up-to-the-minute accuracy in maps to guide disaster relief workers. The idea is to plot information onto the maps that will help those using them to find their way to areas where help is needed. Information might include the locations of avalanches, broken highways or walking trails, trekking routes, etc. You don't have to know anything about cartography to help; there are easy-to-follow instructional videos to get you started.

The need is real in Nepal right now, as we all know. However, this project can be useful in many disasters, and it's a perfect way to provide real assistance to victims from a great distance away.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.