News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

JayhawkCO

My wife got her second shot today.  I am eligible in 16 days.

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

I'd prefer the one-dose shot just so I don't have to make the time to go back later, but obviously I'll take whatever they have. I have no clear idea on when I'll be eligible, but it might be ahead of the general public rollout because I'm overweight. I've heard less fury about obesity being an eligibility criteria than I expected.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CNGL-Leudimin

I plan to get the shots as soon as possible when I become eligible. Spain has finished vaccinating those living in retirement homes, and is currently vaccinating the rest of the elderly people (my grandmother, age 98, got her first shot on Wednesday) and those workers considered essential (doctors, teachers, police, etc).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM
Who has and who hasn't taken the covid shot, and who doesn't plan to take it at all?

I chose to make it three options for those who haven't taken it yet to register their choice for the one-dose or two-dose shot.

I'm in tier 1C in Kentucky because of high-risk medical conditions, but still I can't get an appointment. I hope I can get the one-dose vaccine, but I'll accept whatever is available.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

catch22

My wife and I get our first shots today, second scheduled for three weeks from today.  We're both in Michigan's Group 1C (65+).

NWI_Irish96

My wife got her first shot on the first day shots were given out in Indiana, and her second one three weeks later.

I'm not eligible yet, but Indiana just opened it to 50+ so it shouldn't be too long now.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Avalanchez71

I prefer not to have Covid nor the medication the media touts as a vaccination.

SectorZ

It's sad reading how young people in other states are eligible now or soon, and my garbage state that touts it's super-elite medical system is way behind. You need 2 co-morbidities in Mass but some as complete bullshit. I guess if I started smoking I could make myself eligible (despite or due to all the bicycling, due to my muscle mass I am "obese").

I'll be lining up for mine when available.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 05, 2021, 07:53:50 AM

Forget the media for a second and answer this question: Do you disbelieve the claims of every single medication produced by Pfizer and Moderna, or just this one?

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on March 05, 2021, 07:53:59 AM
It's sad reading how young people in other states are eligible now or soon, and my garbage state that touts it's super-elite medical system is way behind. You need 2 co-morbidities in Mass but some as complete bullshit. I guess if I started smoking I could make myself eligible (despite or due to all the bicycling, due to my muscle mass I am "obese").

According to https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html (paywalled), Massachusetts is near the top on first doses (as a percentage of population) and about average on second doses.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

OCGuy81

I'm not eligible yet, but I plan to get it.

My wife is scheduled for hers since she's a teacher. She's hoping for the J&J one and done shot.

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 05, 2021, 08:02:02 AM

Forget the media for a second and answer this question: Do you disbelieve the claims of every single medication produced by Pfizer and Moderna, or just this one?

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ketchup99

What's wrong with the vaccine?

ET21

Waiting for Illinois to go into Phase 1C which is me. Whatever is available I'll take but I hope to get the one shot. I've had the "temporary immunity" after getting Covid back around New Years but I'm sure that's worn off by now
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

WillWeaverRVA

I've had both shots. Moderna. I work for the state health department at one of the local county offices, so I'm in Virginia's phase 1a.

That second shot really kicked my ass, though, I was achy for the better part of a week afterward. Glad it's over with, though.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:47:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2021, 10:45:56 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:31:48 PM
My choice is not in the list:  It depends.

I'm not eligible for the shot yet.  When I finally do become eligible, it's possible that COVID will have already died down enough that I no longer think it's worth it to get vaccinated.  It all depends on how things play out.

If you had asked me two months ago, then my answer would have been a pretty confident YES.  But now I'm not so certain.

I would encourage you to consider getting it anyway, even if it seems like cases are dying down in your area. The more people that get the shot, the faster it will die down.

The thing is, I know people who had terrible side-effects from the vaccine—knocked out with COVID-like symptoms for a few days.

Like when people get the flu shot and get the flu?  Hard pass on the vaccine for me.  I know it's awful to get but the survival rate is high enough that I won't worry.

hotdogPi

Quote from: texaskdog on March 05, 2021, 09:31:03 AM

I'm not eligible for the shot yet.  When I finally do become eligible, it's possible that COVID will have already died down enough that I no longer think it's worth it to get vaccinated.  It all depends on how things play out.

If you had asked me two months ago, then my answer would have been a pretty confident YES.  But now I'm not so certain.

I would encourage you to consider getting it anyway, even if it seems like cases are dying down in your area. The more people that get the shot, the faster it will die down.

The thing is, I know people who had terrible side-effects from the vaccine–knocked out with COVID-like symptoms for a few days.

Like when people get the flu shot and get the flu?  Hard pass on the vaccine for me.  I know it's awful to get but the survival rate is high enough that I won't worry.

The flu shot has a somewhat low efficiency because it rapidly mutates. If someone gets the flu shot and then the flu, it just means the vaccine didn't work; the shot did not cause the flu.

The COVID vaccine has a higher efficiency rate. In addition, it has been tested against the new variants, and it works just as well.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on March 05, 2021, 09:35:18 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 05, 2021, 09:31:03 AM

The thing is, I know people who had terrible side-effects from the vaccine–knocked out with COVID-like symptoms for a few days.

The flu shot has a somewhat low efficiency because it rapidly mutates. If someone gets the flu shot and then the flu, it just means the vaccine didn't work; the shot did not cause the flu.

The COVID vaccine has a higher efficiency rate. In addition, it has been tested against the new variants, and it works just as well.

A flu shot is predictive. It gets made several months before flu season so that there are enough doses for everybody. Some years are better than others in predicting which strains will become dominant.

COVID vaccine is reactive. The vaccine is based on a known strain so it will by its nature be much more effective.

index

NC should be opening up to my group, 4, on the 23rd. Group 4 is for people with health conditions that put them at higher risk for severe illness from COVID (such as myself). When that comes I plan to get the shot as soon as possible.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

OCGuy81

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 05, 2021, 09:23:38 AM
I've had both shots. Moderna. I work for the state health department at one of the local county offices, so I'm in Virginia's phase 1a.

That second shot really kicked my ass, though, I was achy for the better part of a week afterward. Glad it's over with, though.

My sister is a nurse and reported a similar side effect with Pfizer. Round 1 was no issues, round 2 she said knocked her on her ass most of the following day.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on March 05, 2021, 08:18:55 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 05, 2021, 07:53:59 AM

According to https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html (paywalled), Massachusetts is near the top on first doses (as a percentage of population) and about average on second doses.

Don't care when prisoners, teachers in school systems that are 100% remote, and smokers go first. A few weeks ago Mass was 47th in vaccination rate so at least we improved a bit.

GaryV

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 05, 2021, 09:23:38 AM
That second shot really kicked my ass, though, I was achy for the better part of a week afterward.
I'm glad I got mine in my arm.   :bigass:

JayhawkCO

Question for those here.  I see a lot are very interested in the J&J vaccine (the one-shot dose).  Is that just because you only want to take one shot?  Or some other reason?

I only ask as its efficacy is a little lower than the Pfizer and Moderna versions.  I'll happily take whatever they'll give me, but if I had my choice, I'd pick the one that works the best (Pfizer based on both trial and real-world data).

Chris

ET21

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 05, 2021, 10:36:14 AM
Question for those here.  I see a lot are very interested in the J&J vaccine (the one-shot dose).  Is that just because you only want to take one shot?  Or some other reason?

I only ask as its efficacy is a little lower than the Pfizer and Moderna versions.  I'll happily take whatever they'll give me, but if I had my choice, I'd pick the one that works the best (Pfizer based on both trial and real-world data).

Chris

Doesn't matter to me, just stick me so I can actually gain back a partial normal life. More than likely we'll need a booster later this year or next year like the flu shot, update it annually
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Mapmikey

I received my first shot on 3/3 (Pfizer) and am scheduled for shot #2 on 3/24.

Just a little arm soreness for about 36 hrs.

I got mine through my employer which includes a research hospital.  They divided all employees in 8 priority groups and I was in group 4.

My wife is in the "rest of the population" group (Virginia) so she is signed up through the state's website but has not yet been invited to make an appointment.

If enough people who medically can do not get the vaccine (or stop taking spread precautions as a few states are starting to do now), there is a real possibility the virus mutates enough we will have to get vaccinated every year like the flu because Covid becomes endemic.

The concept of herd immunity can only really fully work if the percentage of people who need to be vaccinated for a particular virus is proportionally spread.  If you have large pockets of places with high non-vaccination rates, then those places will continue to see cases and potentially worse mutations (which might then affect vaccinated groups).  This is why we still have occasional measles outbreaks - a community (of any definition) who does not vaccinate for whatever reason finally comes into contact with somebody who has the measles and that community gets hit with an outbreak.  Because measles vaccination is near-universal in the US, this only happens in limited circumstances these days.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.