News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who Else is Bucking the Car Trend?

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 01, 2021, 10:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Honestly, I don't get cars. They are expensive, distracting, noisy, and dangerous. Horses are reliable, safe, and don't damage the environment. And if you need to go somewhere fast, the train is always an option. I'm afraid that people nowadays are getting too addicted to their cars. I refuse to participate in car culture, and I think ditching the automobile was a good step toward getting away from it.

Anyone else here had enough of the car craze, or never bothered with it in the first place?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

(My reply is entirely serious.)

I don't drive at all. Before COVID-19, I took the bus most places. It takes over an hour to get to UMass Lowell by bus, but it's free for students. As I still live with my mother, she sometimes drives me places that aren't reachable by bus if she's also going that way.

Since COVID, I stopped taking the bus, but starting in May of last year, I started going on long walks, usually for pleasure, but sometimes I buy food or pick up prescriptions on the way. I regularly walk over a mile to the grocery store; sometimes I walk there while my mother drives me back home to avoid carrying everything back, but if it's just a few items, I can walk home.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

No, I love driving and the freedom it provide for me to go do the things I enjoy (which often includes driving).  That said, I would consider a viable alternative transportation option for commuting but that likely will never happen given I live/work in rural area. 

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Zeffy

I'm a car enthusiast and will never give up my right to drive my own vehicle.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Zeffy on April 01, 2021, 11:49:45 AM
I don't have a license yet, but when I get one, I would still gladly take a self-driving car.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CoreySamson

I agree with Zeffy and Max. I literally can't imagine where my life would be right now if I didn't have my driver's license (yeah I literally cannot). Having a car (and being able to drive it) just completely frees me to do what I want to do, allows me to have a job, and is just plain fun. Plus there are no mass transit options in my area, so a car is basically mandatory if you want to get around.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kkt

The original poster was probably not looking for serious answers, but I'll give one anyway.

I have a car now.  I enjoy driving out in the country, where it's pretty and relaxed.  There's not much public transportation that can touch that.  Also I'm glad when I'm carrying heaving things that I don't have to lug them on the bus.

However, I did without a car for a long time.  I learned to drive and got a license at 18, but didn't have a car until I was in my early 30s.  With the money I saved from gas, taxes, and repairs, I lived close to my work and had more hours in my day.  I'd save up the distant errands and rent a car every 2-3 months and take care of them all.

JayhawkCO

I lived without a car for a little while when I lived in downtown Seattle since I could walk to work, the grocery store, etc.  It was great while I had all of those conveniences less than a mile away. Urban living isn't exactly my speed anymore, so I'm happy to have my car.  That would very possibly change if I ever move internationally where trains and other public transportation become a lot more viable options.

Chris

SkyPesos

Cars and roads are great (and most likely the main reason why almost all of us are on this forum in the first place), but I like trains too, and have seen myself use them a lot over a taxi or Uber/Lyft when available. For example, last time I visited Seattle, I used their Link light rail and ST express buses system (along with Uber/Lyft for locations the buses don't cover) to get to places outside of downtown instead of renting a car, and was pleasantly surprised at how good the system is.

Something else to note about me, I can't stand road trips that last over about 15 hours. For me, no matter how beautiful the scenery is outside, I'll get bored again after some time. This is why I don't have any miles on the road in states between the Midwest and West Coast, like Kansas outside of the KC metro area, Colorado and Utah, because we flew to the west coast (I like planes too).

In my relatives' home in China, we own a car, but only use it to get to places not reachable by train or buses. Parking is hard to find in most Chinese cities, and expensive too. Most medium-large cities in China have a subway system, or at least an excellent bus system with frequent service (headways of 5 minutes or less). For intercity travel, note that Chinese freeways (or tollways in this case) are tolled, at a price that's almost at the cost of a high-speed rail ticket. So even for a normally drivable distance in the states (let's say, 300 km), it's more convenient, and better for our time and money to take the train.

EDIT: Yes, I know is April 1st today, but this is actually a nice topic for some serious discussion.

1995hoo

My wife and I have a combined four cars for two people (two each, three of them with manual transmissions). So you can tell where I stand. With that said, I value having the mass transit option available and I used to commute to downtown DC on the subway in part because it was a lot better for my blood pressure than driving over the 14th Street Bridge every morning. I also prefer to take Amtrak to New York for a variety of reasons (including, but not limited to, being able to spend the time on the train doing something productive if I'm going to New York for work purposes).

Also, while I find electric vehicles intriguing, I'm not sure they make sense for people who like to drive for reasons other than commuting. They make long-distance travel a lot more difficult than it is in a gas car due to the combination of range constraints and the longer stops needed for charging, and they also severely constrain your choice of routing due to charger availability. Regarding the latter point, for example, last year for our trip out to Dayton I took I-66 west to I-81, then Corridor H west to I-79, then south to US-35, then northwest on that all the way to Dayton. That routing would have been utterly impractical in an electric car and I almost certainly would have had to stick to the Interstate, which is exactly what I had no interest at all in doing. Regarding the range issue, if someone can make an electric car with range comparable to our two V-6 powered sedans that go 400 to 500 miles on a tank of gas in all-Interstate driving, then I might feel an electric car makes sense because I would be able to drive for half a day (not counting toilet stops), make a combined lunch and charging stop, and then drive for the rest of the day. But if I have to stop for 45 minutes every three hours or so, it becomes very difficult to make a 700-mile trip in a single day, and that's a real problem in my view. Until they solve that problem, I'd view electric cars as great for commuting but impractical to have as your only car, and I'm not willing to spend $40,000 or more on something that I could use only as a commuter car (especially when I don't commute).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I know there are a growing number of young people who eschew owning a vehicle for living in urban areas, mixed-use walkable communities, and so on, but I suspect the original post was an attempt at trolling related to today's date.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on April 01, 2021, 12:45:04 PM
I know there are a growing number of young people who eschew owning a vehicle for living in urban areas, mixed-use walkable communities, and so on, but I suspect the original post was an attempt at trolling related to today's date.

I doubt that, it really isn't how RGT rolls.

kkt

Oh, sure, and a reaction to the cell phones thread.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on April 01, 2021, 12:47:50 PM

Oh, sure, and a reaction to the cell phones thread.

All those "Unpopular Opinions about XYZ"  threads popped up in rapid succession.  I figured this was just another like example with the smart phone thread. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 12:46:12 PM

Look here. It's exactly like him.

That said, this thread should continue with legitimate discussion.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on April 01, 2021, 12:50:59 PM

Put it this way, it isn't far out of line of what I would expect him to post.  He's done far more outlandish things than this thread, to which I agree has legitimate merit. 

Roadgeekteen

Not normally, but you caught me this time. If you couldn't tell, this thread is a parody of the smartphone one and not meant to be serious. However, this thread can be serious if you want.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 01, 2021, 12:56:02 PM

Not normally, but you caught me this time. If you couldn't tell, this thread is a parody of the smartphone one and not meant to be serious. However, this thread can be serious if you want.

Really there is a lot of people who would take something like this serious and definitely a trend among younger demographics domestically.  I know several people your age that have zero interest in getting a license or commuting by car.  A lot of them live in cities where it is a viable option. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 12:59:21 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 01, 2021, 12:56:02 PM

Really there is a lot of people who would take something like this serious and definitely a trend among younger demographics domestically.  I know several people your age that have zero interest in getting a license or commuting by car.  A lot of them live in cities where it is a viable option.
I wouldn't have much interest if self-driving cars existed.

interstatefan990

So, license suspended or revoked, you're still going to drive?
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 12:53:46 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 01, 2021, 12:50:59 PM

Put it this way, it isn't far out of line of what I would expect him to post.  He's done far more outlandish things than this thread, to which I agree has legitimate merit.

The other thread is also from today's date two years ago...

bwana39

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 01, 2021, 02:55:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6pzg3HD4xI

My Maserati goes 185.  (Revised lyric) I lost my license, still I must drive.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 01, 2021, 02:55:49 PM

I don't think he was considering that...

kphoger

My answer is serious too.

When I lived in the Chicago suburbs, I didn't own a car for most of the time.  I eventually did buy an old carbureted Corolla for $50 and owned it until I realized I couldn't afford to repair and re-register it.  But, during the time I owned it, I very often used other means of transportation instead.  I only once drove into Chicago city limits with it, for example–always took the bus or train.  I even think it was during that period that I started ridesharing to and from work.  Heck, I'm not even sure I ever drove to college a single time;  I hitchhiked there plenty of times instead, or rode my bike, or whatever else I felt like that day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.