News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2024, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:17:48 PMany reason why 11 doesn't end at exit 99 on us 95?

At-grade just north of Kyle Canyon Road. Ends at the last interchange before the at-grade.

interesting, must be a dirt road because I can't see it on maps.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:22:17 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:17:48 PMany reason why 11 doesn't end at exit 99 on us 95?

At-grade just north of Kyle Canyon Road. Ends at the last interchange before the at-grade.

interesting, must be a dirt road because I can't see it on maps.

Basically the crossover in line with Moccasin Road.  Moccasin Road definitely is accessible from US 95 at-grade heading westbound. 

cahwyguy

Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Rothman

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 02, 2024, 08:35:44 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:10:36 PMchargeable?  :hmmm:  what does that mean?

I have a good explanation at https://www.cahighways.org/itypes-history.html for California.

At least in NY, what is eligible for a 90% federal share of NHPP is only an issue in the NYC metro area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pderocco

I don't see any at-grade intersection in Google Earth. But past Kyle Canyon Rd it's certainly not up to Interstate standards. The inner shoulders are unpaved.

But it makes sense to end the I-11 designation at an interchange with a state highway, rather than a golf course driveway.

roadfro

Quote from: pderocco on May 03, 2024, 12:36:08 AM

I don't see any at-grade intersection in Google Earth. But past Kyle Canyon Rd it's certainly not up to Interstate standards. The inner shoulders are unpaved.

But it makes sense to end the I-11 designation at an interchange with a state highway, rather than a golf course driveway.
That "golf course driveway" at exit 99 is actually the access road to the Las Vegas Paiute Indian Reservation. The point still stands though.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

silverback1065

are there any immediate plans to extend 11 any further north of here? or will it sit like this for the foreseeable future? (sorry I am not on this part of the forum much)

74/171FAN

I-11 will probably not extend north of NV 157 in many of our lifetimes.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

pderocco

I doubt it will get down to I-10 in my lifetime. But when it does, it will certainly be a perfectly respectable 2di, at almost 300 miles.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: pderocco on May 04, 2024, 12:29:34 AMI doubt it will get down to I-10 in my lifetime. But when it does, it will certainly be a perfectly respectable 2di, at almost 300 miles.

I'll be shocked if it ever gets fully built south of I-40, other than as a 4-lane highway with at-grade intersections as most of it is now.  Arizona politics and the clout of the many ranch owners along that stretch could very easily prevent it from becoming a full freeway.  If and when the 2-lane Joshua Forest Hwy (the most dangerous rural highway in the state) upgrade ever gets done (it should have happened 20 years ago, and is still unfunded AFAIK), I really think that ADOT will be told to consider it finished.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

cl94

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 03, 2024, 01:53:58 PMI-11 will probably not extend north of NV 157 in many of our lifetimes.

The only possibility is if it gets extended to the Nevada Test Site. This is already 4 lanes and there is a study underway to consider potential upgrades. Most of the at-grades with paved roads have high crash rates, so a few interchanges may be justified on safety grounds. Once the few paved roads get interchanges, you'd only need to build gravel frontage roads and block the median crossovers (of which the first legal one is just north of NV 157) to get a designation. While the NTS interchange isn't at a numbered road, major military installations are approved endpoints.

North of NTS? Fat chance anything happens soon apart from spot upgrades. A few locations could use passing lanes and I could see some improvements around Yerington, but a 4-lane expressway would be excessive given the volumes that road sees, let alone a freeway. Not the quietest US route in the state, but it would easily be among the quietest segments of the Interstate system, beating out I-70 in Utah, I-95 in northern Maine, and I-80 in Nevada even if traffic volumes increase by 50%. It's one of those roads that may look necessary on a map, but there's zero demand and enough redundancy.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ilpt4u

https://maps.app.goo.gl/d6jkdkqMsYmrXQhA8?g_st=ic

Found it in GSV. Coordinates 36.3359889, -115.3209178 just north of Kyle Canyon Rd interchange

Even is signed with a "one way" sign after the crossover on 95NB

Thru Moccasin Rd traffic can use this crossover, even tho it is gravel for the "gap" between paved Moccasin Rd on either side of 95, tho a "Do Not Enter" sign is posted on the east side of the 95NB lanes at the crossover. No such signage on the west side of the 95SB lanes. And the typical "Yield" and "One Way" signage at the median crossover

roadfro

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 04, 2024, 11:53:11 AM

https://maps.app.goo.gl/d6jkdkqMsYmrXQhA8?g_st=ic

Found it in GSV. Coordinates 36.3359889, -115.3209178 just north of Kyle Canyon Rd interchange

Even is signed with a "one way" sign after the crossover on 95NB

Thru Moccasin Rd traffic can use this crossover, even tho it is gravel for the "gap" between paved Moccasin Rd on either side of 95, tho a "Do Not Enter" sign is posted on the east side of the 95NB lanes at the crossover. No such signage on the west side of the 95SB lanes. And the typical "Yield" and "One Way" signage at the median crossover
Despite all the times I've passed this spot, I've never taken notice of this aspect. 

Moccasin forms the northern boundary of the City of Las Vegas and the southern boundary of the Las Vegas Paiute Reservation, so the crossover is likely there to allow authorized vehicles (e.g. tribal police) to turn around at the jurisdictional boundary. However, it is not marked as a typical authorized vehicle only crossover (e.g. no U-turn signs, black and blue markers, etc.) and has the standard signage meant for a local access point. It's also worth noting there doesn't appear to be a similar turnaround at the northern boundary of the reservation. But that gravel really just makes it seem like this is an official access to Moccasin.

It does look like there was, at one time, more official access to the west from the southbound lanes, because you can clearly see a paved apron area that is no longer maintained (Street View). I'm guessing this may have been meant as access to western Moccasin (or the power line corridor that runs along it) a long time ago, but frontage road construction may have made that need for access moot. NDOT seems to at least tolerate the existing unofficial access off the frontage roads at Moccasin, because they didn't maintain right-of-way fencing into the reservation land on either side of US 95. But they've done nothing to facilitate that access either, cause otherwise there would likely be signage and more formal access and/or turning lanes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

How exactly do you remove a gravel road when the unimproved ground surface in an area is basically gravel? It seems like, short of running a barrier of some kind over it, it would be pretty difficult to avoid people making their own RIRO access point if they really wanted one there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

pderocco

In that particular spot, it doesn't look like the gravel connection to Moccasin is official any more, because there is no break in the white line along the freeway edge. But if people do that sort of thing here and there, I doubt it's common enough to cause any problems, although they might get a ticket if a cop sees them.

sprjus4

The inner shoulders don't have to be paved beyond 4 ft when you only have 2 lanes in each direction. Look at the I-11 Boulder City bypass, it's a similar cross section.

Those "at grade" access points mentioned appear to be gravel roadways that don't intend to be publicly accessible... but if it was truly an issue, they could simply gate them off.

QuoteBut it makes sense to end the I-11 designation at an interchange with a state highway, rather than a golf course driveway.
That's likely it. FHWA requires a "logical terminus" for interstate designations (state / US highway, other interstate, etc.) SH-157 would be that, a golf course access road wouldn't be of any meaning.

No point sign posting I-11 outside the Las Vegas metro until it's significantly extended north.

DenverBrian

I-11 new signage is appearing almost like they can only produce five shields a week and they throw darts at a dartboard in the NDOT conference room to decide where they'll go.

The Ghostbuster

It is possible that NV 157/Kyle Canyon Rd. may be Interstate 11's permanent northern terminus. If not, I don't see it going beyond Mercury Hwy. or NV 160. Extending it to Interstate 80 or all the way to Canada (as proposed a decade or so ago) was always a Fictional Highways pipe dream.

pderocco

There's nothing worth extending an Interstate to, south of Carson City. Beatty? Tonopah? Hawthorne? They won't need an Interstate, even if they discover a new mother lode of gold. (As they kinda sorta did in Goldfield.)

Max Rockatansky

The mentality seems to be "build it and they will come."  That didn't work in the 1960s and 1970s with all the I-70 extension proposals through Nevada.  I'm not sure why anyone would think this would be different with I-11.

Scott5114

Don't discount the political value of connecting Nevada's two metro areas, whether or not that has any actual value in reality.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2024, 03:12:36 AMDon't discount the political value of connecting Nevada's two metro areas, whether or not that has any actual value in reality.

No, I will discount it.  If people were complaining that a better connection was needed, then there would be one already after all these decades of the Interstate Highway System.  There would already be a seriously considered proposal on the shelf.

I doubt the public work on any sort of connection doesn't even reach to NY's Rooftop's constant failure.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on May 06, 2024, 06:54:06 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2024, 03:12:36 AMDon't discount the political value of connecting Nevada's two metro areas, whether or not that has any actual value in reality.

No, I will discount it. 

Is this like a buy one get one free sort of deal, or is it some piddly 10% off?

gonealookin

I have never heard anybody locally argue that we need a freeway connection down to Vegas.  If a politician proposed that the political value would be to their opponent who would deride it as a colossal waste of money.

When the legislature is in session the Vegas legislators themselves pile up the frequent flier miles on Southwest Airlines, which runs up to about 10 round trips a day between Reno and Las Vegas.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2024, 02:48:54 PMHow exactly do you remove a gravel road when the unimproved ground surface in an area is basically gravel? It seems like, short of running a barrier of some kind over it, it would be pretty difficult to avoid people making their own RIRO access point if they really wanted one there.

That's what r/w fencing is for.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.