News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: plain on June 13, 2020, 04:03:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: plain on June 13, 2020, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 02:07:06 PM
Who can tell me what these "T" signs are for?
https://goo.gl/maps/ncHBmH4k9dtGndHK7

Suggested truck route.
It says no trucks! What a terrible setup. And then I saw no other yellow T's anywhere else. Are there others?

The "No Trucks" is for Staples Mill Rd south of (straight through) the intersection, which is why the "T" sign is pointing right. Since there is no numbered route there, Richmond simply put up that T.

Here's one on Brook and Pkwy at Robin Hood Rd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NF6hUqy62VH5Y1UC9
Thanks to both you and mvak for walking me through it. I'm reacting to the T with right arrow over a no trucks sign with no arrow... mvak's example was perfect because it does have the arrow. That's what I wish they did here!

They use a green T with a white background to denote the same thing in South Boston. Part of the truck route for US 501 involves a city street.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

plain

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2020, 11:45:06 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: plain on June 13, 2020, 04:03:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: plain on June 13, 2020, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 02:07:06 PM
Who can tell me what these "T" signs are for?
https://goo.gl/maps/ncHBmH4k9dtGndHK7

Suggested truck route.
It says no trucks! What a terrible setup. And then I saw no other yellow T's anywhere else. Are there others?

The "No Trucks" is for Staples Mill Rd south of (straight through) the intersection, which is why the "T" sign is pointing right. Since there is no numbered route there, Richmond simply put up that T.

Here's one on Brook and Pkwy at Robin Hood Rd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NF6hUqy62VH5Y1UC9
Thanks to both you and mvak for walking me through it. I'm reacting to the T with right arrow over a no trucks sign with no arrow... mvak's example was perfect because it does have the arrow. That's what I wish they did here!

They use a green T with a white background to denote the same thing in South Boston. Part of the truck route for US 501 involves a city street.

I forgot all about the South Boston ones, it's been a while since I've been there. They even have some US 501 postings with a "TRUCKS" banner to go along with the T signs. Here's one on US 360 at Hamilton Blvd. Image from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Gordonsville used to have black-on-white "T" signs of that sort, with signs on the approaches to town telling truckers to follow the "T" signs. They've since been replaced with "Truck Route" banners, I assume under the theory that a trucker unfamiliar with the area might not notice the sign saying to follow the "T"?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

VTGoose

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2020, 11:45:06 PM

Bedford also uses the green T to route trucks on and around downtown via U.S. 460 bypass to reach VA 122 at the east end of town, which gets trucks to the industrial park and U.S. 221 east.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Jmiles32

Update on plans to improve VA-28 in Manassas: https://www.insidenova.com/news/transportation/prince_william/prince-william-county-staff-back-route-28-bypass-public-hearing-planned-in-july/article_7535ad6a-b046-11ea-9a78-ef6ae924398d.html
QuotePrince William County residents will have a chance next month to weigh in on a $300 million project to improve commuter traffic in the Va. Route 28 corridor. Transportation officials recommend constructing a bypass, which could require the purchase of up to 70 homes for right of way. 

Transportation Director Ric Canizales told the board that staff supports a bypass project that would extend Godwin Drive as a four-lane divided road with a shared-use path. The bypass would run parallel to Flat Branch and Bull Run streams and connect with Route 28 at an intersection north of Bull Run stream, according to the county.

An environmental study is still in progress on whether to widen Route 28 or select one of two possible bypass routes.

While the environmental study is not yet complete, its technical and executive committees – which include 67 staff, leaders and elected officials at federal, state, regional and local levels – have recommended the bypass route, according to the county.

The bypass option was "determined to have the lowest cost, highest traffic impacts, lowest impacts to existing development and communities, and low impact to the environment,"  according to the county.

At a public meeting in October, officials said adding two lanes to Route 28 would impact about 90 businesses due to right of way acquisition while selecting either of two proposed routes for a four-lane bypass would require the purchase of up to 70 homes.

At that time, Canizales said the proposed bypass options would have a larger impact on commuter traffic than widening the existing road. All three projects are estimated to cost about $300 million.

Transportation officials have long sought ways to improve the busy commuter route between Manassas and Centreville. More than 57,000 vehicles travel daily on Va. 28, according to the Route 28 Corridor Feasibility Study released in December 2017.

I plan to try and attend this upcoming public hearing and suspect that it will be extremely contentious as knocking out 70 homes and a large amount of wooded area vs. knocking out 90 businesses is no easy choice. What it comes down to IMO is which one has the most significant traffic impact and right now I am having a hard time believing that the bypass option will be a viable alternative to a majority of VA-28 users who seemingly come from the southern and eastern areas of Manassas. The bypass option appears to only be a viable alternative to the northern and western parts of Manassas (and Bristow area) that already have adequate access to I-66 via VA-234 and VA-234 business. Will be interesting to hear/see their reasoning. 
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 19, 2020, 05:49:23 PM
WTF! Watch the whole video.

https://twitter.com/statter911/status/1274067562368819200?s=21
Toll must've been under $5 and they had to make sure their eyes weren't playing tricks on them.

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 19, 2020, 05:49:23 PM
WTF! Watch the whole video.

https://twitter.com/statter911/status/1274067562368819200?s=21

Let me start out by saying I do not encourage or endorse any kind of road rage.

With that said, if this would've caused a wreck, I would completely understand why someone would want to beat their muthafuckin ass
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Fuck me. That's China-level nuttiness. I can only hope that's the one time they've ever done that. Well done DC drivers for A) just letting it happen, and B) not crashing in the process.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2020, 04:59:33 PM
Fuck me. That's China-level nuttiness. I can only hope that's the one time they've ever done that. Well done DC drivers for A) just letting it happen, and B) not crashing in the process.

And C) lucky to not being hit by a 18-wheels truck.

Speaking of China-level nuttiness.  That reminds me of that accident who happened in 2018. Unfortunately there was no survivors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Chongqing_bus_crash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avI9-KnvHqU

jakeroot

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 23, 2020, 07:31:29 PM

I was kind of getting at that with 'B', but yes. Honestly, any 'HGV' or bus could have trouble stopping for that. But the drivers just let it happen, and no one crashed, hence why I'm trying to give credit to everyone involved (even the fool in Lexus for somehow not crashing).

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on June 24, 2020, 03:40:10 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 23, 2020, 07:31:29 PM

I was kind of getting at that with 'B', but yes. Honestly, any 'HGV' or bus could have trouble stopping for that. But the drivers just let it happen, and no one crashed, hence why I'm trying to give credit to everyone involved (even the fool in Lexus for somehow not crashing).

Given where that was, I suspect the usual backup was visible ahead approaching the 14th Street Bridge such that drivers were already well slowed down for that. Otherwise there would almost certainly have been a crash. Note the time stamp on the tweet–3:52 on a Friday afternoon. The backup for the inbound bridge tends to form earlier on Friday than it does on other afternoons.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 24, 2020, 04:47:38 PM
Given where that was, I suspect the usual backup was visible ahead approaching the 14th Street Bridge such that drivers were already well slowed down for that. Otherwise there would almost certainly have been a crash. Note the time stamp on the tweet–3:52 on a Friday afternoon. The backup for the inbound bridge tends to form earlier on Friday than it does on other afternoons.

Had VSP caught that, it would have been a slam-dunk reckless driving ticket as well - and maybe a trip in handcuffs to the nearest magistrate (Arlington County Jail, perhaps?) and an impound of the vehicle.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

This new law has not been well-publicized at all. I wonder how many rear-endings this is going to cause.

https://twitter.com/vadotnova/status/1277211419730161667?s=21

AlexandriaVA

Probably not as many as you think, but I wonder how many pedestrian collisions this is going to prevent.

sprjus4

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on June 28, 2020, 11:03:58 AM
Probably not as many as you think, but I wonder how many pedestrian collisions this is going to prevent.
Assuming anyone actually follows the law.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 28, 2020, 11:07:20 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on June 28, 2020, 11:03:58 AM
Assuming anyone actually follows the law.

That's what law enforcement is for :)

1995hoo

I looked up the new law. Link is below. Interesting aspects: (1) It applies to unmarked crosswalks, although I'd wager 99% or more of Virginia residents have no idea what an unmarked crosswalk is. (2) It does not require you to remain stopped until the pedestrian clears the crosswalk–you only have to wait until he clears your lane. Of course, I'd apply a rule of reasonableness. It's obnoxious to gun it as soon as he steps out of your lane, and it's downright stupid to do so if the pedestrian has a little kid in tow. I'd certainly wait longer for a little kid to be further away than I would for a solo adult, assuming the adult is able-bodied. Little kids are unpredictable.

Ultimately, if it comes down to it, if I have a choice of risking a ticket by not stopping for a pedestrian who's still a couple of lanes to one side of mine or getting rear-ended by the guy behind me who's clearly not planning to stop, I'll risk the ticket for obvious reasons (assuming, as I say, the pedestrian is not in a position where I might hit him).

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+CHAP1031+pdf

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 28, 2020, 12:52:11 PM
I looked up the new law. Link is below. Interesting aspects: (1) It applies to unmarked crosswalks, although I'd wager 99% or more of Virginia residents have no idea what an unmarked crosswalk is. (2) It does not require you to remain stopped until the pedestrian clears the crosswalk–you only have to wait until he clears your lane. Of course, I'd apply a rule of reasonableness. It's obnoxious to gun it as soon as he steps out of your lane, and it's downright stupid to do so if the pedestrian has a little kid in tow. I'd certainly wait longer for a little kid to be further away than I would for a solo adult, assuming the adult is able-bodied. Little kids are unpredictable.

Ultimately, if it comes down to it, if I have a choice of risking a ticket by not stopping for a pedestrian who's still a couple of lanes to one side of mine or getting rear-ended by the guy behind me who's clearly not planning to stop, I'll risk the ticket for obvious reasons (assuming, as I say, the pedestrian is not in a position where I might hit him).

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+CHAP1031+pdf
This post to be used as evidence against you when the time comes

VTGoose

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 28, 2020, 12:52:11 PM

College students even more so. One thing one learns about driving in Blacksburg anywhere on or near the Virginia Tech campus is to always watch for a student preoccupied with his or her phone stepping out in front of your moving vehicle -- crosswalk or not. It doesn't take people long to figure this out, so there aren't as many vehicle/pedestrian incidents as there could be. For a number of years, there was a campaign on campus and in town urging drivers to "Yield to Pedestrians!" Left off of the message was the other half, that pedestrians had an equal responsibility to yield to oncoming traffic. About two years ago a new campain was launched, "Heads up Hokies!" to remind pedestrians to look up from their phone and do what they learned in kindergarten -- "Look both ways before crossing the street." There is still frustration, though, with students who will step into a crosswalk, requiring a driver to stop, even though there isn't another car coming for several blocks behind the stopped car. There are also drivers who stop (sometimes short) for a potential pedestrian standing on the sidewalk.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

I might argue little kids and college students are unpredictable for different reasons. College students have a sense for traffic safety but often just choose to disregard it (similar to high school kids, for that matter). Little kids usually don't have that sense yet. School bus design has changed since I was a kid in large part because of accidents involving little kids who did unsafe things because they didn't know any better–for example, I remember seeing news coverage of an accident where some little girl dropped her art assignment as she was crossing in front of the bus and she ran back to get it right as the bus started moving. The bus driver couldn't see her due to the hood. That's why a lot of buses now have the flat front and that metal bar that swings out to block pedestrian passage too close to the front of the bus. (I think that incident may have been used in safety videos as well.)

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 29, 2020, 10:22:15 AM
I might argue little kids and college students are unpredictable for different reasons. College students have a sense for traffic safety but often just choose to disregard it (similar to high school kids, for that matter). Little kids usually don't have that sense yet. School bus design has changed since I was a kid in large part because of accidents involving little kids who did unsafe things because they didn't know any better–for example, I remember seeing news coverage of an accident where some little girl dropped her art assignment as she was crossing in front of the bus and she ran back to get it right as the bus started moving. The bus driver couldn't see her due to the hood. That's why a lot of buses now have the flat front and that metal bar that swings out to block pedestrian passage too close to the front of the bus. (I think that incident may have been used in safety videos as well.)

When I was doing my undergrad in Worcester MA, we had a running joke when crossing streets of "Go ahead and hit me, pay my tuition!!!"

At least with my friend group this was merely a joke and we were, in fact, careful crossing streets (especially with Masshole drivers), but it's entirely possible this could be a carefree attitude held by college students at various campuses.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: VTGoose on June 29, 2020, 09:20:35 AM
There is still frustration, though, with students who will step into a crosswalk, requiring a driver to stop, even though there isn't another car coming for several blocks behind the stopped car.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Yeah, you can never really get back those lost 30 seconds.  :rolleyes:

1995hoo

The Virginia statute does provide that "No pedestrian shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard of approaching traffic." It already said that.

Alps

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on June 29, 2020, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on June 29, 2020, 09:20:35 AM
There is still frustration, though, with students who will step into a crosswalk, requiring a driver to stop, even though there isn't another car coming for several blocks behind the stopped car.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Yeah, you can never really get back those lost 30 seconds.  :rolleyes:
Tell that to the pedestrian who couldn't be arsed to lose 5 seconds.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.