News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How would Interstate 78 have run through New York City?

Started by Zeffy, February 13, 2015, 02:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2015, 11:44:32 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 16, 2015, 11:22:39 PM
One thing I just noticed on the 1958 map: I-95 is shown on the Turnpike. But at that time, it was planned on its own corridor all the way to I-80. Perhaps New York assumed New Jersey would do the logical thing. Or maybe BPR never approved separate I-95 inside I-287, but since New Jersey hadn't requested it (wanting a separate alignment) they couldn't officially add the Turnpike.
Even the map you link to has I-95 on the northern Turnpike.
No it doesn't. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14787

[edit]never mind, it has it on both.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on February 16, 2015, 11:51:05 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2015, 11:44:32 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 16, 2015, 11:22:39 PM
One thing I just noticed on the 1958 map: I-95 is shown on the Turnpike. But at that time, it was planned on its own corridor all the way to I-80. Perhaps New York assumed New Jersey would do the logical thing. Or maybe BPR never approved separate I-95 inside I-287, but since New Jersey hadn't requested it (wanting a separate alignment) they couldn't officially add the Turnpike.
Even the map you link to has I-95 on the northern Turnpike.
No it doesn't. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14787
Your first link (via NYRoads) does indeed show an I-95 marker/label along the NJ Turnpike just north of the Garden State Parkway interchange (Exit 11).  It's probably shown due to the map showing an alternate/planned routing (via a thin-dotted line) of I-95 showing it connecting to the NJTP around Exit 8A in addition to the other proposed alignment (a separate I-95 running north of I-287).

In hindsight, maybe the more easterly routing should've been pursued.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

Quote from: dgolub on February 14, 2015, 09:53:07 AM
Yeah, seeing I-495 and NY 495 on the same sign is also pretty surreal.
For me, it's all too familiar.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.