News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Spelling

Started by Jim, October 07, 2017, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 23, 2017, 09:03:42 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 23, 2017, 08:58:03 AM
Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2017, 04:22:39 PM
I remember a particularly hilarious typo I saw when looking at resumes for an intern.  It said "Car was POS" (under experience).  Needless to say, this person didn't get an interview.  We were tempted to reply wishing him good luck on his job search so he could get a "not POS" car.
Wow, how bad was his car  :-D :-D :-D?

Your lack of driving experience really shows here. It is absolutely not difficult, at all, to find a super-cheap, POS car that functions just enough for short day-to-day transport, which is sometimes all that people can afford.
Depends on your definition of POS.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 23, 2017, 09:12:25 AM

In that context, there only is one: piece of shit.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 23, 2017, 09:14:06 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 23, 2017, 09:12:25 AM

In that context, there only is one: piece of shit.
No, how POS the car really is.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

It depends not just on the mechanical condition of the car, but also the car owner's approach toward managing the risk of being stranded by mechanical failure.  I have a 1994 Saturn SL2 that I use as a daily driver but would not hesitate to take on a long-distance roadtrip, though I generally don't nowadays because I have access to a newer and more comfortable vehicle.  But before I took the Saturn on a 7,000-mile Washington/California roadtrip in 2014, I had to sit down and compile a condition inventory that ran to over 25 identifiable defects, and work through that one by one.  I ended up replacing spark plugs, the engine coolant temperature sensor, the thermostat, one of the engine mounts, and the water pump before the trip.  Since then I have carried out other repairs and major maintenance such as two ATF drains and fills, battery replacement, removal of alternator and reinstallation after rebuilding, air filter replacement, etc.

There are several reasons for my sang froid.  First, I have actually had to have cars repaired on the road, and it is really not the catastrophe it is made out to be if you have Internet access and can vet shops before you limp to one.  Aside from life-threatening injury, the real worst-case scenario is a disabling fault in the middle of nowhere that gives rise to an expensive towing bill, and this is just as likely to happen with a newer or more reliable vehicle if the cause is a deer collision.  Extended tows can also be covered by insurance, though this costs.  Second, as a male alone on the side of the road, I am significantly less likely to be sexually assaulted.  Third, I am in a financially privileged position to the extent that a few days or a few hundred dollars more than projected for an out-of-town trip will not lose me a job or send me running to payday lenders.

I have known mechanically adept women who happily drive late-nineties vehicles in city settings but rent for long-distance roadtrips out of town, as well as middle-aged men in positions of real financial constraint (not enough money coming in and not enough support from other family members to do what is required to escape paycheck-to-paycheck living) who are very uncomfortable risking out-of-town trips.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Saw a sign today on the front of a restaurant, obviously custom made to order:
"Biger is better"

allniter89

Has anyone else misspelled a word so badly that even spell check couldnt figure out what I was trying to spell? 
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: allniter89 on October 23, 2017, 05:30:24 PM
Has anyone else misspelled a word so badly that even spell check couldnt figure out what I was trying to spell?
I have.

1995hoo

Quote from: kkt on October 23, 2017, 04:59:25 PM
"Biger is better"

Note the awning in this image. It's been that way for years. The other signs on the building are spelled correctly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8403518,-77.063215,3a,75y,121.42h,77.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_KtYYFd1NdP8D1ZxByLhbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

allniter89

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2017, 05:40:04 PM
"Biger is better"

Note the awning in this image. It's been that way for years. The other signs on the building are spelled correctly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8403518,-77.063215,3a,75y,121.42h,77.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_KtYYFd1NdP8D1ZxByLhbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I wonder what the owners response is when someone points out the error? Maybe "do u want a damn waffle or not"?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: allniter89 on October 23, 2017, 05:44:26 PM
"Biger is better"

I wonder what the owners response is when someone points out the error? Maybe "dow uw waunt u dam wafflle owr nyot"?
ftfy

1995hoo

Quote from: allniter89 on October 23, 2017, 05:44:26 PM
"Biger is better"

I wonder what the owners response is when someone points out the error? Maybe "do u want a damn waffle or not"?

Beats me, but apparently a few years ago they were going to correct the spelling when they replaced the awnings and then changed their minds because people wanted them to keep the error.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

That has happened to me; blame on-screen keyboards on mobile devices.  I grew up with physical keyboards, and I will forever be more comfortable typing on something where I can feel the keys and know where they are and that they're big enough to hold my finger.

I try to use proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar, but sometimes typos sneak through, especially when on a mobile device; I know I don't use 100% Queen's English either, that's for sure.  Forums in general are a pretty informal place, and so is texting, so while I always capitalize and make sure meaning can be gathered from my posts, sometimes I'll use an abbreviation or use an emoticon as ending punctuation.  I'd be shocked to find a single person who speaks 100% grammatically correct English when talking to their friends or when texting or on a forum.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

formulanone

Admittedly, I misspell words...usually, my browser catches the former, though sometimes auto-correcting software makes unusual substitutions that I will miss. After a while, you can sort of tell if one was a human error or predictive text created the other, because it seems too odd to be a typo.

Other times, I'll make fragmented sentences which don't make much sense; I may edit something, add/remove a statement or sentence, substitute one word for another...and make it even worse!

There's a few members who make repeated errors which can be caught by web browsers. There's a part of me that gets a bit annoyed with incorrectly-spelled words which are integral to the thread title. On the other hand, if we know you misspelled Youghiogheny or put an extra "s" in Mississippi...let it go, my people. There's better battles to fight.

vdeane

One odd thing is that, on Linux at least, Chrome's spellcheck is now this bluish gray that's rather hard to see instead of the more obvious red.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on October 23, 2017, 07:29:13 PM
Admittedly, I misspell words...usually, my browser catches the former, though sometimes auto-correcting software makes unusual substitutions that I will miss. After a while, you can sort of tell if one was a human error or predictive text created the other, because it seems too odd to be a typo.

Other times, I'll make fragmented sentences which don't make much sense; I may edit something, add/remove a statement or sentence, substitute one word for another...and make it even worse!

There's a few members who make repeated errors which can be caught by web browsers. There's a part of me that gets a bit annoyed with incorrectly-spelled words which are integral to the thread title. On the other hand, if we know you misspelled Youghiogheny or put an extra "s" in Mississippi...let it go, my people. There's better battles to fight.

Yes.  If nothing else, someone searching for the thread about Mississippi isn't going to find it if it's misspelled Mississipi.

Roadgeekteen

I sometimes am in a rush and don't want to spend time correcting every error. I have been trying to fix my spelling more lately.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: kkt on October 24, 2017, 01:48:47 PM

Yes.  If nothing else, someone searching for the thread about Mississippi isn't going to find it if it's misspelled Mississipi.
Nope, found it.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on October 24, 2017, 10:22:55 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 23, 2017, 05:34:58 PM
I have.

Eyu hayvv?
njoooooo

kkt

Copper comes from Arizona
Peaches come from Georgia
And lobsters come from Maine
The wheat fields are the sweet fields of Nebraska
And Kansas gets bonanzas from the grain
Old whiskey comes from old Kentucky
Ain't the country lucky
New Jersey gives us glue
And you, you come from Rhode Island
and little old Rhode Island is famous for you

Cotton comes from Lou-siana
Gophers from Montana
And spuds from Idaho
They plow land in the cow land of Missour-a
Where most beef meant for roast beef seems to grow
Grand canyons come from Colorad-a
Gold comes from Nevada
Divorces also do
And you, you come from Rhode Island
Little old Rhode Island is famous for you

Pencils come from Pennsylvania
Vest from Vest Virginia
and Tents from Tent-esee
They know mink where they grow mink in Wyo-mink
A camp chair in New Hamp-chair, that's for me

And minnows come Minnesota
Coats come from Dakota
But why should you be blue?
For you, you come from Rhode Island
Don't let them ride Rhode Island
It's famous for you

Songwriters: Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz

J N Winkler

New earworm I picked up from a series of novels by Bruce DeSilva that is set in Providence:  "Row Dyelin" is "Rhode Island" pronounced in the local accent.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on October 25, 2017, 12:01:02 AM
I think you have. Pencilvaynia comes to mind.
spell check corrects that.

jp the roadgeek

I really want a bridge to be built from near Newhaven (emphasis on the first syllable) Conneticut to Lawn Guyland. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 25, 2017, 05:16:20 PM
I really want a bridge to be built from near Newhaven (emphasis on the first syllable) Conneticut to Lawn Guyland.
aye tyink tat dat wood bee u grate idear.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on October 25, 2017, 09:48:20 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 25, 2017, 08:15:56 PM
idear.

That's how it sounds when Australians say it. East coasters, too, but Australia is much worse.
My brother pronounces it like that.

SSOWorld

I think this thread has joined the rest of those ruined by pointless conversation - Roadgeekteen, stop derailing threads with your trolling!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.