[October 8th 2016] Birmingham Road Meet

Started by codyg1985, December 21, 2015, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Alright, before I make a hotel reservation and commit to being another person driving to the far side of the country for a roadmeet, is it too late to RSVP for this thing? If not, I think I'll be able to swing it looking at my schedule.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

codyg1985

Quote from: cl94 on September 24, 2016, 07:52:03 PM
Alright, before I make a hotel reservation and commit to being another person driving to the far side of the country for a roadmeet, is it too late to RSVP for this thing? If not, I think I'll be able to swing it looking at my schedule.

Not too late at all :)
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cl94

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 25, 2016, 09:14:40 AM
Quote from: cl94 on September 24, 2016, 07:52:03 PM

Not too late at all :)

Perfect. Making my hotel reservation tonight. Staying in Chattanooga.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

formulanone

Wish I could make it, but I'll be hosting out-of-towners during that weekend. Have fun, everyone!

As a fair warning, many of the old signs on 14th Avenue were gone as of last month.

cl94

I am absolutely crazy, but I have a hotel booked. Clinching I-81 on the way down, likely grabbing a good portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back.

froggie

Quotelikely grabbing a good portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back.

Don't plan on making any good time...

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2016, 08:07:02 AM

The frustrating part is getting behind a slow vehicle (and by slow, I mean traveling at the 45 mph speed limit or below) that absolutely refuses to pull over at any of the many overlooks or turnouts to let stacked-up traffic by.

My recent foray onto the BRP (between Cherokee and Asheville) was plagued by this happening. I wasn't worried about speed enforcement because I was on the North Carolina side of the state line, and had my protection activated, but I'm curious as to how much speed enforcement there is in Virginia where you can't protect yourself from it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2016, 10:33:33 AM
Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2016, 08:07:02 AM

The frustrating part is getting behind a slow vehicle (and by slow, I mean traveling at the 45 mph speed limit or below) that absolutely refuses to pull over at any of the many overlooks or turnouts to let stacked-up traffic by.

My recent foray onto the BRP (between Cherokee and Asheville) was plagued by this happening. I wasn't worried about speed enforcement because I was on the North Carolina side of the state line, and had my protection activated, but I'm curious as to how much speed enforcement there is in Virginia where you can't protect yourself from it.

I don't expect it to be fast. I'm thinking of grabbing a hotel in Maryland for that night so I can take my time.

hbelkins

What's happening on the east side of Birmingham next weekend? While researching room rates, I found that hotels in the Irondale area that aren't sold out are charing exorbitant rates. It's not the Talladega race.

codyg1985

Looks like it is for the 12th Annual Barber Vintage Festival at the Barber Motorsports Park: https://barbermotorsports.com/vintage-home.php
Cody Goodman

cl94

The crazy rates are part of why I'm staying in Knoxville. Everything closer to the east is insanely expensive. I wanted to stay in Chattanooga so I didn't have as long of a drive on Saturday, but no decent hotels have anything for under 200-230 a night.

codyg1985

That's crazy.

I usually try to plan my road meets when there aren't any big events scheduled, but this thing at Barber Motorsports Park didn't even catch my radar.

The tour won't be going close to there since it is just east of the I-20/459 interchange in Leeds.
Cody Goodman

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2016, 01:16:00 PM
What's happening on the east side of Birmingham next weekend? While researching room rates, I found that hotels in the Irondale area that aren't sold out are charing exorbitant rates. It's not the Talladega race.

Meanwhile, in the Fultondale area (just north of B-ham), the rates for a decent hotel were well under $100/night.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on September 28, 2016, 03:17:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2016, 01:16:00 PM

Meanwhile, in the Fultondale area (just north of B-ham), the rates for a decent hotel were well under $100/night.

I didn't even look there because it's too out of the way for me.

The place I'm staying at in Knoxville is about $230 for the weekend. I can live with that. It's the New York City prices I can't live with. $200-250 for a mediocre hotel is ridiculous.

codyg1985

Fultondale is where the tour will, essentially, begin and end.
Cody Goodman

cl94

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 28, 2016, 03:31:33 PM

I'm well aware of that. I just can't get to/from there in one shot. 16 hours of straight driving for one person is pushing it and that doesn't include stops.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on September 28, 2016, 03:34:28 PM

I'm well aware of that. I just can't get to/from there in one shot. 16 hours of straight driving for one person is pushing it and that doesn't include stops.

Surely there's something closer to Chattanooga that's not outrageously expensive.

Trip Advisor has a number of 3-or-better rated hotels for $70 or less in Cleveland, which is only about 20 miles northeast of Chattanooga on I-75.

Heck, Chattanooga itself has a number of well-rated places for $76 or less.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2016, 04:23:02 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 28, 2016, 03:34:28 PM

Surely there's something closer to Chattanooga that's not outrageously expensive.

Trip Advisor has a number of 3-or-better rated hotels for $70 or less in Cleveland, which is only about 20 miles northeast of Chattanooga on I-75.

Heck, Chattanooga itself has a number of well-rated places for $76 or less.

I'm trying to stay with Hilton for points. I already booked my place and with it got enough points for a couple nights.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on September 28, 2016, 04:25:33 PM
I'm trying to stay with Hilton for points. I already booked my place and with it got enough points for a couple nights.

Hampton is too rich for my blood.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2016, 09:29:38 PM

I did the math and, thanks to how they do points, it actually saves me money because I can get Amtrak or airline miles with each stay in addition to points. They're doing a double points promotion through the end of the year, so it just adds up.

US71

I found something at Microtel. Not my favorite place, but it'll work ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on September 29, 2016, 07:06:13 PM

Microtels can be a crap shoot. Of course the room layouts are similar from one to another, but the quality can vary. The one in Buckhannon, WV, is as nice as any fancy place I've ever stayed. The one off Eisenhower Drive in Beckley WV is also very nice. However, they can deteriorate. I stayed at the one in Williamsville, NY (east side of Buffalo) for a meet there a few years ago and it was decent at the time. I stayed there a few years later, on my way back from the Watertown meet, and it had gone downhill.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2016, 11:20:06 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 29, 2016, 07:06:13 PM

Microtels can be a crap shoot. Of course the room layouts are similar from one to another, but the quality can vary. The one in Buckhannon, WV, is as nice as any fancy place I've ever stayed. The one off Eisenhower Drive in Beckley WV is also very nice. However, they can deteriorate. I stayed at the one in Williamsville, NY (east side of Buffalo) for a meet there a few years ago and it was decent at the time. I stayed there a few years later, on my way back from the Watertown meet, and it had gone downhill.

Yeah, that's what I've heard about Mictotel. The only cheap chain that I've found to be reliable is Red Roof Inn.

hbelkins

Did the Alabama gas shortages and gas price hikes resolve themselves now that the pipeline has been repaired?

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2016, 03:46:49 PM
Did the Alabama gas shortages and gas price hikes resolve themselves now that the pipeline has been repaired?

In the Huntsville area, they are hovering around $2/gal right now. Seems to be the same around Birmingham as well.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.