News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mystery Warning Signs...Meaning?

Started by thefraze_1020, May 18, 2015, 04:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefraze_1020

I drive by these signs on SB I-5 south of Bellingham everyday, and I cannot figure out what message they are conveying.

Ideas?

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.690071,-122.409254,3a,75y,82.37h,94.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sb8A4UPlLP6Gu2sl34onclA!2e0?hl=en
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

jakeroot

Last time I came back from Canada, those caught my eye. I've been looking for the answer for several weeks, but I haven't come up with anything.

Literally, it seems to convey that "those with trailers should use caution ahead, as the road dips to the right and you might lose control".

SignGeek101

Tsunamis may pick up cars with trailers and drop them off in about 1.5 mi

OR Tsunamis may pick up cars with trailers for the next 1.5 mi

It looks like a wave I think.  :-P

jeffandnicole

Cars with trailers will hover over the road.

Next 1.5 Miles.

briantroutman

WARNING: State DOT's understanding of MUTCD is as solid as an out-of-control car towing a trailer - Next 1.5 Miles.

Alps

Downhill ahead = potential for runaway trailers if your car sucks

slorydn1

Warning: Slow cars pulling trailers blocking both lanes causing you to lose your mind because you can't pass them next 1.5 miles ?
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

noelbotevera

Warning: Do not use your trailer-car combo as a surfboard on top of a medium-sized wave for the next 15 miles.  :clap:

jakeroot

Jokes aside, is there any official answer? I assume it's somewhere between "runaway trailer" and "losing control".

c172

Noofficial answer. Just guessing that it tries to describe the incline, and that such incline will be tricky ifyou're in a car with a trailer, for the next 1.5m.

The Ghostbuster

Those are weird signs. I'll call Unsolved Mysteries.

The Ghostbuster

My mistake. The show ended in 2010.

jakeroot

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 27, 2015, 05:13:58 PM
My mistake. The show ended in 2010.

Not to get too OT, but the show ended when Robert Stack died. :)

TEG24601

I always assumed it meant that either the road wasn't banked, was banked wrong, or was banked for higher speeds than trailers usually travel, letting those drivers know to be careful incase their trailers start behaving oddly.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

johndoe

I've never seen a sign quite like that, but I bet you are on the right track with your guesses.  Fyi, the term describing the degree of cross slope banking is "superelevation".  Use that term to properly affirm your road-geek-ness!    :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.