News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AHTD on April 16, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
The completed portion of the Bella Vista Bypass (from State Highway 72 south of Hiwasse to State Highway 72 north of Hiwasse) is approved for designation as Future I-49. This stretch of road will actually open to traffic next week and will be co-signed as State Highway 549/Future I-49.

I hope you'll do the 'Future I-49' shields in the same style as NCDOT has in the past. ;)

agentsteel53

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 16, 2014, 08:21:57 PM

I hope you'll do the 'Future I-49' shields in the same style as NCDOT has in the past. ;)

I hope you don't.  Arkansas still uses '57 spec for its two-digit interstates, so I'm hoping 49 shows up that way.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2014, 08:24:38 PM

I hope you don't.  Arkansas still uses '57 spec for its two-digit interstates, so I'm hoping 49 shows up that way.

What I meant was how NC added the 'Future' text to the shield, just to be clear.

US71

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 16, 2014, 08:35:08 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2014, 08:24:38 PM

What I meant was how NC added the 'Future' text to the shield, just to be clear.

Like this?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

M86

Locally, people are freaking out via social media.  But they're just not informed... And I blame the local media somewhat.

"$70,000 for the changing of signs?!  This should have gone to fixing roads!"

Bah... I wish the exit numbers would be changed with the conversion.  That's just going to create more madness.

US71

Quote from: M86 on April 17, 2014, 01:36:09 AM
Locally, people are freaking out via social media.  But they're just not informed... And I blame the local media somewhat.

"$70,000 for the changing of signs?!  This should have gone to fixing roads!"

Bah... I wish the exit numbers would be changed with the conversion.  That's just going to create more madness.

The Build I-49 page on Facebook has experienced similar feedback.

Grzrd

This TV video report provides a preliminary indication from the announcement ceremony that "Arkansas" will be missing from the I-49 shields that will be installed in the near future:

agentsteel53

ugh.  when has Arkansas ever used large-number 70 spec, so why start now?  49 is an especially tough number to fit if you're trying to use large numbers (12" on a 24" blank; in this case it looks like a 36" blank with 18" numbers).

that shield looks completely stupid.

jake@aaroads.com

AHTD

The sign unveiled at yesterday's event was indeed a 36-inch model. This is what we will use for route confirmation markers. The Future I-49 signs will be located at the project termini of the soon-to-be-opened completed portion of the Bella Vista Bypass and installed on green destination and distance boards. The Future I-49 signs will have the word "Future" where the word "Interstate" normally appears. The BVB route markers will be State Highway 549.

We will actually - and you read it here on AAROADS first - start changing out the I-540 signs Monday. Two crews will depart Little Rock Monday morning. One will head directly to the BVB and start installing signs. The other crew will start changing route markers on the northbound lanes just north of I-40. The overhead sign structures will be modified sometime in the next 30 days because we have to schedule crews and lane closures to make that happen.

BVB will officially open to traffic Tuesday morning before noon.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on April 17, 2014, 12:29:14 PM
This TV video report provides a preliminary indication from the announcement ceremony that "Arkansas" will be missing from the I-49 shields that will be installed in the near future:

5News flubbed: they said Bella Vista would be I-549 not AR 549   :pan:

You'll also have to change some of the mileage signs along I-40 that show the distance to I-540 North.

bjrush

My gosh Arkansas's Interstate signage seems inconsistent

With this announcement reinforcing that feeling. Will all future Interstate signs be huge-number variety going forward?
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on April 17, 2014, 07:31:13 PM
My gosh Arkansas's Interstate signage seems inconsistent

Honestly? It has been for a long time.

bjrush

QuoteHonestly? It has been for a long time.

Too true

AHTD needs to get on the same page, preferably not the massive-number page revealed at that ceremony. This $70k seems like a great opportunity. I'm sure they are already being fabricated though. Ugh
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

It's $70,000. That includes labor.

They are already printed. I-540 signs that are taken down will be recycled as I-49 signs for the southern route.

Don't forget the significance of ADDING mileage to our Interstate system. The stretch of the route above the 62/102 exit is being signed from U.S. 71 to I -49.

txstateends

Quote from: Grzrd on April 17, 2014, 12:29:14 PM

I was thinking this I-49 shield would be just a promotional prop and not the actual installed style.  Oh well, at least it was approved.  The style can always change later I guess.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

txstateends

I'm guessing (not that I know as much as others closer to the action) that all this flurry of change-out activity won't include any missing overlap signage for the US routes?

(oh well, why did I ask :-/ )
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

AHTD

Primary route markers at this time only.

M86

Quote from: txstateends on April 17, 2014, 11:24:58 PM
I'm guessing (not that I know as much as others closer to the action) that all this flurry of change-out activity won't include any missing overlap signage for the US routes?

(oh well, why did I ask :-/ )

Someday, I hope.  The local news station, 40/29, had a reporter next to an assembly with both I-49 and US 71 in Missouri, when the news broke for I-49 designation.  :P

codyg1985

Quote from: AHTD on April 17, 2014, 11:03:21 PM
They are already printed. I-540 signs that are taken down will be recycled as I-49 signs for the southern route.

Although I can understand that this saves on material costs. putting a 2 digit interstate number inside of a 3 digit interstate shield will look strange.

You could always recycle the I-540 shields for I-555 if or when that is ever signed.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Anthony_JK

Don't mind me..I'm just watching all this and wondering why LADOTD doesn't do the same thing for US 90/Future I-49 South...

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2014, 07:11:17 AM
Quote from: AHTD on April 17, 2014, 11:03:21 PM

Although I can understand that this saves on material costs. putting a 2 digit interstate number inside of a 3 digit interstate shield will look strange.

Texas does it ;)

US71

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 18, 2014, 07:46:09 AM
Don't mind me..I'm just watching all this and wondering why LADOTD doesn't do the same thing for US 90/Future I-49 South...

There are already Future Corridor signs along US 90

Anthony_JK

Quote from: US71 on April 18, 2014, 08:33:56 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 18, 2014, 07:46:09 AM

There are already Future Corridor signs along US 90

True...but I'm talking about also putting actual I-49 shields on the completed Interstate-grade segments of US 90 and the Westbank Expressway and signing the exits thusly.

roadman65

What about Miller County?  Will Arkansas change its signs from AR 549 to I-49?  It seems now that would be the feasible thing to do because if they duplicate the number 49 in NW Arkansas they now can do it here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.