News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2 lane conversion to 4 lane

Started by Buffaboy, January 24, 2016, 11:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 24, 2016, 11:37:40 PM
What roads do you know of that were given a "road fattening" instead of a road diet?

US 412 between Chickendale Springdale and Huntsville, AR.

4-Laned, curves smoothed, terrain obliterated
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 22, 2016, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2016, 10:20:51 PM
California 58 East of Boron to the outskirts of Barstow has a bunch of two lane sections still around.  The stretch from Boron where 58 goes over a railroad right as it drops from an Expressway to a two lane road backs up miles or more to Kramer Junction at US 395 all the time and is just a plain pain in the a$$ to get through.  My understanding is that CALTRANs is trying to upgrade 58 from I-5 to I-15 to Interstate standards to be an extension of I-40, so maybe one day in the far flung future it will be.  US 395 from Kramer Junction south to Hesperia could use two extra lanes also.

I thought Caltrans was aiming for four lanes, limited access.  If they've said anywhere that they're hoping for I-40 to be extended, even as a someday aspiration, I'd like to hear it.

They are but who knows how long it will actually take?  The way it stands right now there is heavy construction in Hinkley upgrading that portion to four lanes, part of it is actually complete west of the town.  Kramer Junction is the real choke point with all those gas stations and the US 395 Intersection, especially heading east.  I'm not sure how Caltrans plans on attacking Kramer Junction but I would imagine it would be a bypass since there is too much money there with all the gas stations.  Incidentally the West Side Parkway in Bakersfield is almost done and 58 should be aligned onto it once it has a connection with CA 99.

Regardless I hope it's done sooner or later because the only other good way I have of getting east from Bakersfield is to take CA 14, CA 138 and CA 18 out into the desert.  Generally I'm heading towards CA 247, it's rare day that try to go down into L.A. or San Bernardino anymore. 

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2016, 08:04:08 PM
California 58 East of Boron to the outskirts of Barstow has a bunch of two lane sections still around.  The stretch from Boron where 58 goes over a railroad right as it drops from an Expressway to a two lane road backs up miles or more to Kramer Junction at US 395 all the time and is just a plain pain in the a$$ to get through.  My understanding is that CALTRANs is trying to upgrade 58 from I-5 to I-15 to Interstate standards to be an extension of I-40, so maybe one day in the far flung future it will be.  US 395 from Kramer Junction south to Hesperia could use two extra lanes also.

I thought Caltrans was aiming for four lanes, limited access.  If they've said anywhere that they're hoping for I-40 to be extended, even as a someday aspiration, I'd like to hear it.

They are but who knows how long it will actually take?  The way it stands right now there is heavy construction in Hinkley upgrading that portion to four lanes, part of it is actually complete west of the town.  Kramer Junction is the real choke point with all those gas stations and the US 395 Intersection, especially heading east.  I'm not sure how Caltrans plans on attacking Kramer Junction but I would imagine it would be a bypass since there is too much money there with all the gas stations. 

Yes, bypass.  I think the plans are on the Caltrans web site and being bid for construction to start soonish.

Incidentally the West Side Parkway in Bakersfield is almost done and 58 should be aligned onto it once it has a connection with CA 99.

Well, not exactly almost done.  The 58 to Westside Parkway connection is still in the courts with many unhappy locals.  That could take many years if they fight to delay it as long as possible.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 22, 2016, 08:58:32 PM

They are but who knows how long it will actually take?  The way it stands right now there is heavy construction in Hinkley upgrading that portion to four lanes, part of it is actually complete west of the town.  Kramer Junction is the real choke point with all those gas stations and the US 395 Intersection, especially heading east.  I'm not sure how Caltrans plans on attacking Kramer Junction but I would imagine it would be a bypass since there is too much money there with all the gas stations. 

Yes, bypass.  I think the plans are on the Caltrans web site and being bid for construction to start soonish.

Incidentally the West Side Parkway in Bakersfield is almost done and 58 should be aligned onto it once it has a connection with CA 99.

Well, not exactly almost done.  The 58 to Westside Parkway connection is still in the courts with many unhappy locals.  That could take many years if they fight to delay it as long as possible.

Makes you wonder though, there has always been enough opposition to kill any attempt finish building 178 as a freeway all the way to 99.  Although 58 doesn't pass through downtown Bakersfield and makes infinitely more sense with ease of access of I-5.

myosh_tino

They are but who knows how long it will actually take?  The way it stands right now there is heavy construction in Hinkley upgrading that portion to four lanes, part of it is actually complete west of the town.  Kramer Junction is the real choke point with all those gas stations and the US 395 Intersection, especially heading east.  I'm not sure how Caltrans plans on attacking Kramer Junction but I would imagine it would be a bypass since there is too much money there with all the gas stations.  Incidentally the West Side Parkway in Bakersfield is almost done and 58 should be aligned onto it once it has a connection with CA 99.

The Hinkley Bypass should open sometime in 2017 barring any unexpected delays.  The Kramer Junction Bypass has completed the design phase and gone through an EIR but has not gone out to bid as of yet.  The connection to the Westside Parkway will depend on how much resistance there is from the residents living in the path of the proposed freeway.

Also a friendly reminder to Max Rockatansky... there are forum guidelines that limit signature images to 500 pixels wide by 100 pixels high. ;)
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: myosh_tino on February 23, 2016, 03:17:38 AM
Also a friendly reminder to Max Rockatansky... there are forum guidelines that limit signature images to 500 pixels wide by 100 pixels high. ;)

I don't wanna fuck with Mad Max. :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 23, 2016, 03:55:49 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on February 23, 2016, 03:17:38 AM

I don't wanna fuck with Mad Max. :D

I just came for the gasoline.

kenarmy

Hoy Road was a 2-lane in Madison, but got upgraded to a 4 lane road west of US 51. Then it was renamed Madison Parkway and Hoy road was put back on a smaller two-lane road that goes under the newer road.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Scott5114

Please don't bump threads from two Presidential administrations ago.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.