California Traffic signals

Started by blue.cable82, August 07, 2017, 02:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

For a different subtopic: Newer traffic signals in the Calabasas and Thousand Oaks areas, along US 101, have yellow borders around the backplates.  Here is an example from today:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: M3100 on July 03, 2020, 10:30:01 PM
For a different subtopic: Newer traffic signals in the Calabasas and Thousand Oaks areas, along US 101, have yellow borders around the backplates.  Here is an example from today:

These backplates are common with new traffic lights. Extra reflectivity at night.

mapman

Caltrans is also adding these to existing signals in multiple Northern California districts lately.  This includes nearly all of the Caltrans signals in Santa Cruz County (District 5) and also many in southern Santa Clara County (Gilroy).  I'm guessing all of the Caltrans districts got some additional funding this year for safety improvements?

CalMark123

Yep, I recently noticed the new backplates added to a few old signals here in Palm Springs as well.  I just thought they looked sharp.  :)  Glad to know they serve a functional purpose too.

gonealookin

Quote from: mapman on July 04, 2020, 01:27:45 AM
Caltrans is also adding these to existing signals in multiple Northern California districts lately.  This includes nearly all of the Caltrans signals in Santa Cruz County (District 5) and also many in southern Santa Clara County (Gilroy).  I'm guessing all of the Caltrans districts got some additional funding this year for safety improvements?

The reflective yellow backplates were installed on the signals on US 50 through South Lake Tahoe within the last couple months.

One of the stated reasons is that it makes the signal easier to see at night during a power outage.  So motorists supposedly will be less likely to blow through an intersection without stopping when the signals aren't functioning.  With power companies deliberately shutting off power to certain fire-prone areas during adverse weather conditions, that's an increasingly common occurrence.

jakeroot

Quote from: CalMark123 on July 03, 2020, 09:51:41 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on July 03, 2020, 09:35:21 PM
Don't many parts of Florida use mast-arms with horizontal signals similar to Texas practice?

My recollection is that the downtowns of Florida's larger cities use mast-arms with horizontal signals, but I don't see much consistency in other areas.

If I remember right, horizontal signals are only 'common' in South Florida. Particularly Miami-Dade County.

The horizontal black signals without backplates were common enough to make their way into Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:

CalMark123

Quote from: jakeroot on July 04, 2020, 02:38:16 PM
Don't many parts of Florida use mast-arms with horizontal signals similar to Texas practice?

My recollection is that the downtowns of Florida's larger cities use mast-arms with horizontal signals, but I don't see much consistency in other areas.

If I remember right, horizontal signals are only 'common' in South Florida. Particularly Miami-Dade County.

The horizontal black signals without backplates were common enough to make their way into Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:

Cool.  And yes, you are exactly right.  They are common in Miami-Dade County.  Good to see some consistency there.

I've always liked the minimalist design of those horizontal signals, although I don't think they are optimal.  Visually, it looks like something is missing.  The blank vertical space on the pole is crying out for a vertically-mounted third signal.

SignBridge

Re: the reflectorized backplate border strips, I'm bucking the trend here. I do not like them, though I agree they will be helpful during power outages. The problem I have with them is they are visually distracting; they make the whole display more visually complex. I liked it better the old way, with just the lighted signal and plain black backplate so all you really saw was the lighted lamp. I assume many will disagree but that's the way I see it. (Pun intended LOL)

UCFKnights

Quote from: jakeroot on July 04, 2020, 02:38:16 PM

Horizontal signals are standard in Alachua County in North Florida as well: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6334825,-82.3588509,3a,50.6y,31h,92.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPb2tO7dK369jmfO-E4Zjgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

bing101

Quote from: M3100 on July 03, 2020, 10:30:01 PM

Vallejo has a similar thing at Redwood Street @ I-80 interchange where there is a yellow outline on the traffic lights.

Usually a black outline or a dark green outline is common for traffic lights in California.

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on July 06, 2020, 08:34:40 PM
Usually a black outline or a dark green outline is common for traffic lights in California.

Dark green outline? I've never heard of this. Backplates are required to be black, and outlines have historically been a contrasting color (usually yellow, very rarely white).

WA also used dark green signals for decades, but backplates were always black. Never the prettiest combination, IMO.

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on July 06, 2020, 09:37:51 PM

Dark green outline? I've never heard of this. Backplates are required to be black, and outlines have historically been a contrasting color (usually yellow, very rarely white).

WA also used dark green signals for decades, but backplates were always black. Never the prettiest combination, IMO.

Here's a murky colored older one at 79th and Central in LA:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9674377,-118.2563452,3a,24.9y,95.94h,104.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxU-pa_fY7cyNNSc7YIisVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A ton of old ones have...interestingly colored backplates, but definitely not pure dark green. Here's Crenshaw and Venice in a nicer part of town: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0448284,-118.3285325,3a,17.7y,247.82h,124.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_-5QyqqVkyQTNXiAu1IVww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadfro

I'm guessing bing101 was referring to the backplate color itself. I've never seen a backplate outline in California other than the few more recent retroreflective yellow outlines that the MUTCD now allows.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on July 11, 2020, 05:17:23 PM

I'm guessing bing101 was referring to the backplate color itself. I've never seen a backplate outline in California other than the few more recent retroreflective yellow outlines that the MUTCD now allows.

I was thinking so, yes. But then again, have you ever seen a backplate in California that was anything other than black or faded black? I know the signal bodies themselves have sometimes been dark green.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on July 11, 2020, 09:11:06 PM

I was thinking so, yes. But then again, have you ever seen a backplate in California that was anything other than black or faded black? I know the signal bodies themselves have sometimes been dark green.

I can't think of any, no. Like Nevada, sometimes some backplates appear to be a deep gray or darkish green, but it is usually the effect of sun fade from an original black finish.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on July 13, 2020, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 11, 2020, 09:11:06 PM

I can't think of any, no. Like Nevada, sometimes some backplates appear to be a deep gray or darkish green, but it is usually the effect of sun fade from an original black finish.

That's how I've understood it. The fading effect does seem less pronounced on those backplates with wind pass-throughs.

According to this document, which I think is from a reseller of traffic signal backplates, they are actually produced in four colors: dark olive green, yellow, flat black, and gloss black. All match federal standards. Thing is, I don't recall the FHWA allowing anything other than black (glossy or dull) for backplates. The only exception seems to be bike signals (and errors).

Big John

^^ Correct.  MUTCD says backplates must be black.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Big John on July 13, 2020, 03:50:15 PM
^^ Correct.  MUTCD says backplates must be black.

Wait- does the manual probhibit the yellow-bordered backplates I have seen around?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Revive 755

^ MUTCD 4D.12 Paragraph 21 allows backplates to have "[a] yellow retroreflective strip with a minimum width of 1 inch and a maximum width of 3 inches".

Bigger question I have is if the MUTCD actually allows louvers/slots in backplates (hopefully they will be listed as an option in the next edition rather than remaining as another questionable ambiguity).

roadfro

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 13, 2020, 04:53:35 PM
^ MUTCD 4D.12 Paragraph 21 allows backplates to have "[a] yellow retroreflective strip with a minimum width of 1 inch and a maximum width of 3 inches".

Bigger question I have is if the MUTCD actually allows louvers/slots in backplates (hopefully they will be listed as an option in the next edition rather than remaining as another questionable ambiguity).

I'm fairly certain the MUTCD is silent on the issue of louvers in the backplates. I don't see why backplate louvers would be questionable or an issue.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on July 14, 2020, 11:50:12 AM

I'm fairly certain the MUTCD is silent on the issue of louvers in the backplates. I don't see why backplate louvers would be questionable or an issue.

I agree. I don't see why they would need to issue an official opinion (or something) on the matter.

If they do have a problem, soon might be a good time to say something, as louvered backplates are virtually all that I see installed (both now, and for a quite a long time).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on July 14, 2020, 01:35:55 PM

I agree. I don't see why they would need to issue an official opinion (or something) on the matter.

If they do have a problem, soon might be a good time to say something, as louvered backplates are virtually all that I see installed (both now, and for a quite a long time).

Already discussed by the FHWA.  See Page 4: https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/conventional/signalized/backplates/tech/sa15007.pdf

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2020, 04:43:59 PM

Already discussed by the FHWA.  See Page 4: https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/conventional/signalized/backplates/tech/sa15007.pdf

Although not really in a helpful way. That paragraph just seems to acknowledge their existence.

SignBridge

Louvered backplates may be standard in some parts of the country but they are not being used in just as many places. I've never seen one here on Long Island where NYS DOT Region-10 is going crazy installing new yellow-bordered backplates.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on July 14, 2020, 09:18:48 PM

Louvered backplates may be standard in some parts of the country but they are not being used in just as many places. I've never seen one here on Long Island where NYS DOT Region-10 is going crazy installing new yellow-bordered backplates.

They are definitely the standard backplate in WA (apart from Bellevue and Spokane...two notable holdouts, granted). Here's a typical install, with yellow-bordered louvered backplates (even those that are placed on signal masts receive louvered backplates).

Are there any places in New York that install them? I would think that every state has at least one place that uses them, with many states having more places that do use them, than don't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.