News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State routes created with "useless" overlaps to give a corridor one number

Started by NE2, July 17, 2011, 02:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

I never understood US 221's extension to Lynchburg. From Roanoke to Bedford it duplexes with US 460, and east of Bedford it's on 460's old alignment. To me, it would have seemed more logical to just swap 460 and VA 297.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

US 25 south of Jesup, GA is not called by locals at all.  It is US 341 in Brunswick and probably referred to it the rest of the way to as US 341.  What is interesting is at Ludowici, GA; GA 57 continues south of US 84 from US 25 with a "TO I-95" shield there and you wonder why US 25 does not continue along GA 57 to I-95 and end at US 17 in Elonia, GA.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dave19

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Not quite the same, but US 59 is duplexed with other routes from Texarkana, Texas to Heavener, OK.  The whole distance within Arkansas is duplexed with other US highways.  According to AHTD maps, US 59 does not exist in Arkansas.  Also, there are no US 59 sections in Arkansas.

hbelkins

Quote from: dave19 on April 01, 2012, 12:24:00 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2011, 08:40:01 PM
WV 55.
Also WV 92.

Hasn't 92 always run from WSS to Morgantown? At one point it was co-signed with WV 7 into downtown Morgantown, and I've heard there is still some remnant signage along WV 7.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

The former AZ 93 was a southern extension of US 93 from Congress Junction (near Wickenburg) was multiplexed with US 89, US 60, US 70, US 80 through Downtown Phoenix, then turned onto AZ 87 and followed what is now AZ 587, I-10, AZ 387, AZ 84 to Tucson and then US 89 all the way to the Mexican border at Nogales.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

MrDisco99

Quote from: jwolfer on October 28, 2011, 08:20:51 AM
GA 520 on US 82/280 in S GA.  Really the SR numbers on US highways in Georgia should be relegated to secret status, as in Florida.  

This is actually useful, though, as it indicates a continuous strand of 4-lane highway along a pretty high traffic corridor.  If you're going from Columbus or east/central Alabama to Florida east of the panhandle (or to St Simons like I did last week), this is the road to take.  Not to mention the section between Richland and Dawson has no overlap, where US 280 and US 82 exit themselves onto 2 lane roads.  It makes sense to number this as a continuous route, rather than US 280 to (something) to US 82.

I and many from this area know it as GA 520 or "corridor Z" rather than any of its overlaps.

dave19

Hasn't (WV) 92 always run from WSS to Morgantown?
It doesn't on the 1946 map:
http://cartweb.geography.ua.edu:9001/StyleServer/calcrgn?cat=North%20America%20and%20United%20States&item=States/West%20Virginia/WestVirginia1946a.sid&wid=1600&hei=800&props=item(Name,Description),cat(Name,Description)&style=simple/view-dhtml.xsl

It doesn't on the 1965 RMcN atlas I have, either.

Always wondered what the point of that long multiplex was.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: national highway 1 on April 01, 2012, 07:14:42 PM
The former AZ 93 was a southern extension of US 93 from Congress Junction (near Wickenburg) was multiplexed with US 89, US 60, US 70, US 80 through Downtown Phoenix, then turned onto AZ 87 and followed what is now AZ 587, I-10, AZ 387, AZ 84 to Tucson and then US 89 all the way to the Mexican border at Nogales.
I think that Arizona initially positioned itself for potential future U.S. route extensions with AZ-93 and 95. When they first established AZ-95, U.S. 95 hadn't been extended south into California from Nevada, and the eventual extension over part of AZ-95 south of Quartzite didn't happen until the early 1960s. I would suspect the same motive existed for establishing an AZ-93 south from Kingman, and part of that became U.S. 93, northwest of Wickenberg. Arizona seems to have eventually adopted California's "one route-one number" policy to eliminate most - certainly not all - of its concurrent routes, and with construction of the interstate system, having parallel U.S. routes connecting the same major cities lost its importance. 
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Perfxion

U90 through a huge chunk of Texas runs concurrently off and on with I-10 to the point that its almost separate roads relabeled to make it still a US highway.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

NE2

Quote from: Perfxion on April 04, 2012, 01:41:06 PM
U90 through a huge chunk of Texas runs concurrently off and on with I-10 to the point that its almost separate roads relabeled to make it still a US highway.
This relates to the topic how?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

iowahighways

Quote from: 3467 on July 18, 2011, 09:18:38 PM
I dont know wht IA and MO picked 27 . It is out of grid for a fantasy future interstate.

Probably because when it was designated in 2001, it was the lowest unused number that both Iowa and Missouri had available.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

74/171FAN

VA 2 from Richmond to Bowling Green and US 17 to Fredericksburg.  It should really only exist from Bowling Green to US 17.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ctsignguy

Quote from: vtk on October 28, 2011, 09:05:36 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 28, 2011, 07:49:59 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on October 28, 2011, 02:03:09 PM
Did Ohio's Route 3 predate the US routes that are concurrent with it, or was it created after the fact to link Ohio's three largest cities?

Predate. US 36 and US 22's overlaps with Oh 3 came in the mid 1930s.

How about US 62 – another 1930s addition I believe – and more relevant to OH 3's inclusion in this thread than US 36.

Personally, I don't think the southern half of OH 3 is necessary at all, assuming all the US and Interstate routes are staying as they are.  It's not necessary as a Cincinnati—Cleveland route; we have US 42 for that. It's not necessary as a Cincinnati—Columbus—Cleveland route; we have I-71 for that.  OH 3 might as well be truncated, with its new south end at Broad & 3rd in Columbus.  Then, to preserve continuity of the old route and satisfy roadgeek historians, put up "OLD 3C HWY" markers along the whole length, including the part that's still OH 3.  Of course, old alignments that still go through should get these markers.

Or, leave well enough alone, I suppose.

I was told by an ODOT official some years ago that the reason ODOT keeps Ohio 3 as it is is precisely because it was numbered after the old 3-C Highway....US 22 wasn't commissioned in Ohio until the mid-30s as was US 62.  The figuring at the time was since 3 was the highway's traditional number, to leave it alone.....and i dont think that will change any out of deference to the locals along the route
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

bugo

They're not technically state highways, but US 270 and US 412 have long overlaps in western Oklahoma.  OK 3 does too. 

hbelkins

Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but KY 80. I would have to go find and examine old maps to find out which came first, US 68 or KY 80, but there is really no reason KY 80 can't end at Edmonton, where it intersects US 68. If I am not mistaken, some of the westernmost part of KY 80 actually carried another number at one time (KY 58?). Now they are four-laning KY 80 from the western shore of Kentucky Lake (and the famous broken bridge) west to Mayfield to make a better route through western Kentucky to Murray.

At one point KY 80 was a main route across southern Kentucky, but the Cumberland and Daniel Boone Hal Rogers parkways have supplanted most of it.

I'd be in favor of truncating KY 80 at Edmonton and rerouting US 68 along the new four-lane in the Purchase region, to terminate at US 45 or the Purchase Parkway (Future I-69) at Mayfield. If you're in Hopkinsville or Cadiz, you're going to take I_24 to Paducah, not US 68. But that probably should go in Fictional Highways.

And what about TN 1?  :D

Quote from: bugo on April 05, 2012, 08:33:27 PM
They're not technically state highways, but US 270 and US 412 have long overlaps in western Oklahoma.  OK 3 does too. 

Is there much of US 412 in Arkansas that's not an overlap?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mightyace

It is also hidden for most (all) of its route.  At least in Nashville anyway.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Takumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 05, 2012, 07:32:08 PM
VA 2 from Richmond to Bowling Green and US 17 to Fredericksburg.  It should really only exist from Bowling Green to US 17.

Agree that it should be truncated, but it was created in 1933 and US 301 was added to it in 1941.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

leifvanderwall

Florida/Georgia 121, Minnesota -Idaho 200, Interstate 90 from Chicago to Cleveland (w/I-80) , I-59 from Meridian, MS to Birmingham,AL (w/ I-20)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: ctsignguy on April 05, 2012, 08:09:21 PM
Quote from: vtk on October 28, 2011, 09:05:36 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 28, 2011, 07:49:59 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on October 28, 2011, 02:03:09 PM
Did Ohio's Route 3 predate the US routes that are concurrent with it, or was it created after the fact to link Ohio's three largest cities?

Predate. US 36 and US 22's overlaps with Oh 3 came in the mid 1930s.

How about US 62 — another 1930s addition I believe — and more relevant to OH 3's inclusion in this thread than US 36.

Personally, I don't think the southern half of OH 3 is necessary at all, assuming all the US and Interstate routes are staying as they are.  It's not necessary as a Cincinnati–Cleveland route; we have US 42 for that. It's not necessary as a Cincinnati–Columbus–Cleveland route; we have I-71 for that.  OH 3 might as well be truncated, with its new south end at Broad & 3rd in Columbus.  Then, to preserve continuity of the old route and satisfy roadgeek historians, put up "OLD 3C HWY" markers along the whole length, including the part that's still OH 3.  Of course, old alignments that still go through should get these markers.

Or, leave well enough alone, I suppose.

I was told by an ODOT official some years ago that the reason ODOT keeps Ohio 3 as it is is precisely because it was numbered after the old 3-C Highway....US 22 wasn't commissioned in Ohio until the mid-30s as was US 62.  The figuring at the time was since 3 was the highway's traditional number, to leave it alone.....and i dont think that will change any out of deference to the locals along the route

http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/articles/10-in-search-of-the-three-c-highway
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 05, 2012, 10:46:33 PM
Florida/Georgia 121, Minnesota -Idaho 200, Interstate 90 from Chicago to Cleveland (w/I-80) , I-59 from Meridian, MS to Birmingham,AL (w/ I-20)
At least for route 200 (ID-MN), that route is for the most part signed with a single designation. There are overlaps to tie its pieces together, but it is nothing like MO/IL-110 or IA/MO-27.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

sp_redelectric

I can see a bunch of these in Oregon (some intentional, some that occurred throughout the years):

(now decommissioned) U.S. 26 from Cannon Beach Junction to Astoria, multiplexed with U.S. 101 to the south end of the Astoria-Megler Bridge and junction with U.S. 30

U.S. 30 - almost entirely multiplexed with I-84 except west of Portland and in some areas as a de facto I-84 business loop

Oregon 47 - multiplexed with U.S. 26 northwest of Banks, it is a single corridor from Clatskanie to McMinnville but functionally two (or even three, if you count Banks-Forest Grove separately) separate highways

Oregon 219 - multiplexed with Oregon 99W in Newberg.  North and south of Newberg are functionally different highways; in Woodburn Oregon 219 suddenly becomes Oregon 214 at I-5, and then at Oregon 99E Oregon 217 is multiplexed with 99E for a short distance within Woodburn while continuing straight through 99E puts you on Oregon 211

Business 99E - Multiplexed with Oregon 22 from downtown Salem to I-5; the historic route of Oregon 99E is Commercial Street.

U.S. 20/Oregon 34 from Lebanon to Philomath.  U.S. 20 takes a northerly route through Albany while Oregon 34 is routed onto an expressway.  Oregon 34 and U.S. 30 are then multiplexed from Corvallis to Philomath before 34 becomes a separate route through the Coast Range.  (U.S. 20 should become "Business U.S. 20" or "Alternate U.S. 20", except Oregon doesn't use Alternate) and Oregon 34 should be U.S. 20 or even "Bypass U.S. 20", IMO.)

Interstate 105/Oregon 126.  I-105 only exists from downtown Eugene to I-5 but Oregon 126 continues as a freeway through Springfield and to the west of Eugene to the coast.

In north-central Oregon, Oregon 19, 74, 206 and 207 have some interesting multiplexes with each other but I'm not familiar with the functions of those roads.

U.S. 395 seems to be a hodgepodge of roads - multiplexing with U.S. 20, U.S. 26 and I-84 as it acts as several separate north-south highways.  Further north in Washington, U.S. 395 is multiplexed with I-90 for a considerable distance between Ritzville and Spokane, and with I-82 between the Tri-Cities and I-84 near Hermiston back in Oregon.

vtk

A fictional example which I think has merit: OH 1, v3 (discuss in that thread rather than here, please)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.