News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State routes created with "useless" overlaps to give a corridor one number

Started by NE2, July 17, 2011, 02:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

The MA 128/I-95 overlap between Peabody and Canton, which has been retained for almost 40 years due largely for political and "historical" reasons, is IMO one of the most unnecessary overlaps in existence on the Interstate system to date.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NE2

And yet it doesn't fit this thread, since Route 128 long predates I-95.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Another good example from the Sooner State is OK 9.  It could end at US 59 but is duplexed with US 59 and US 271 to the Arkansas line.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 18, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
I need one of the Louisiana natives to comfirm (or debunk) this, but La 10 appears to be an obvious answer.

Debunked, LA 10 was created from older State Routes when the highways were renumbering in 1955. Examples are (according to my 1953 highway map) SR 22, 27, and 35. They just named it LA 10 as the highways were numbered 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 from north to south.

jemacedo9

In Erie PA, PA 290 was created to give the Bayfront Connector a number - to give traffic coming from the east a number to follow to get to downtown.  It starts at I-90 and multiplexes with PA 430 until the new Bayfront Connector, and then PA 290 is routed on the new road.  Instead of signing the PA 430 exit with TO PA 290, it's actually a duplex.

THEN, PA 290 duplexes with PA 5 west through Downtown Erie.  PA 290 ends at I-79 but PA 5 continues. 

So, both ends of PA 290 are duplexed, and a little more than half it's length are duplexed.  I kinda get the PA 430 issue, but I'm not sure why PA 290 was extended along PA 5.  It's almost like they wanted PA 290 to then be signed on I-79 to reconnect back to I-90.

flowmotion

Quote from: NE2 on April 06, 2012, 05:45:33 PM
And yet it doesn't fit this thread, since Route 128 long predates I-95.

Maybe Bostonians think of I-95 as the "useless" overlap to give a corridor one number  ;-)

roadman65

I drove US 69 through Kansas a few weeks back and noticed that between the Oklahoma State Line and Columbus, that K-7 is signed concurrent with the US route even though it doesn't need to be.  I am assuming that KDOT wants K-7 to exist as a complete N-S route from border to border and considers it tp be one long corridor.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dvferyance

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 27, 2011, 09:46:39 PM
WIS 32.  It follows other highway numbers for just about 75% of its and is concurrent along 45 for all of it between Eagle River (or south of it actually) and the U.P.

Wisconsin - in general is home of useless concurrencies.
And WI-34 duplex with WI-13 in Portage County.

tmoore952

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2011, 08:32:24 PM
How about DE 404 overlapping US 9 in Delaware?

It depends how many Baltimore/DC people haven't figured out that MD / DE 404 is the road to (almost) get to the beaches.

US 9 was a relatively late addition to Delaware. It used to end in Cape May NJ, before it was extended past the end of the Cape May Lewes Ferry to US 13. I believe it superceded existing state routes, but I'd have to look at old maps since I don't know that part of the state as well as Wilmington area.

Some one

SH 130 in Texas. Was originally supposed to end at I-10 in Seguin, but was then "extended" over I-10 and I-410 to I-35 in San Antonio. There's also a brief overlap with SH 45 in Austin and US 183 south of Austin (technically?) but I don't know if those count.

Also not a state highway but US 74 overlapping with I-75 from Chattanooga to Cleveland, Tennessee.

amroad17

Quote from: tmoore952 on September 25, 2023, 06:00:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2011, 08:32:24 PM
How about DE 404 overlapping US 9 in Delaware?

It depends how many Baltimore/DC people haven't figured out that MD / DE 404 is the road to (almost) get to the beaches.

US 9 was a relatively late addition to Delaware. It used to end in Cape May NJ, before it was extended past the end of the Cape May Lewes Ferry to US 13. I believe it superceded existing state routes, but I'd have to look at old maps since I don't know that part of the state as well as Wilmington area.
US 9 did supersede existing state routes--DE 28 from Laurel to Georgetown and DE 18 from Georgetown to Five Points.  It was in 1974 that US 9 was extended from Cape May to Laurel.

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Quote from: Some one on September 25, 2023, 11:33:17 PM
SH 130 in Texas. Was originally supposed to end at I-10 in Seguin, but was then "extended" over I-10 and I-410 to I-35 in San Antonio. There's also a brief overlap with SH 45 in Austin and US 183 south of Austin (technically?) but I don't know if those count.

Also not a state highway but US 74 overlapping with I-75 from Knoxville to Cleveland, Tennessee.
You meant Chattanooga, correct?

I have written my opinion about this particular "useless" overlap in another thread.  I believe that the national western terminus for US 74 should be at the I-75/Bypass US 64 interchange in Cleveland (Exit 20).  The "useless" and unsigned 18 mile overlap is just so US 74 could be considered to have a terminus in Chattanooga as the I-75/I-24 interchange is technically within the city limits.  Once a motorist reaches I-75 there at the Exit 20 interchange, there are signs directing the motorist to Chattanooga.  US 74 does not need to be considered to proceed any further than the Exit 20 interchange.  US 74 has "done its job" of getting a motorist from the Asheville and the western NC area to Chattanooga and should have its national western terminus there, which it appears to do as it is unsigned along I-75 and is signed at the off-ramp for Exit 20. 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on September 26, 2023, 03:32:11 AM

Also not a state highway but US 74 overlapping with I-75 from Knoxville to Cleveland, Tennessee.

I have written my opinion about this particular "useless" overlap in another thread.  I believe that the national western terminus for US 74 should be at the I-75/Bypass US 64 interchange in Cleveland (Exit 20).  The "useless" and unsigned 18 mile overlap is just so US 74 could be considered to have a terminus in Chattanooga as the I-75/I-24 interchange is technically within the city limits.  Once a motorist reaches I-75 there at the Exit 20 interchange, there are signs directing the motorist to Chattanooga.  US 74 does not need to be considered to proceed any further than the Exit 20 interchange.  US 74 has "done its job" of getting a motorist from the Asheville and the western NC area to Chattanooga and should have its national western terminus there, which it appears to do as it is unsigned along I-75 and is signed at the off-ramp for Exit 20.

There's really no need for the entire US 64/74 concurrency in either Tennessee or North Carolina, especially since a decent amount of the route in Tennessee has not  yet been upgraded to ADHS standards. Just truncate US 74 back to the last point where it doesn't have a concurrency and sign Chattanooga as a destination.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Some one

Quote from: amroad17 on September 26, 2023, 03:32:11 AM

Oops, yeah fixed it.

zachary_amaryllis

What about US 50/400 in SE Colorado?

Seems like 400 just .. ends around .. what is it, Lamar?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hotdogPi

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 30, 2023, 06:44:50 AM
What about US 50/400 in SE Colorado?

Seems like 400 just .. ends around .. what is it, Lamar?

What about the OP?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

US 89

This was the intent for Utah 30, which got designated over three separate state route corridors (70, 102-69, and 3-51) connected by concurrencies on US 30S and US 89. The three Idaho border counties had wanted one route number to cross the state from Nevada to Wyoming. After several unsuccessful attempts to get a US highway on that corridor, the state created SR 30 on it, both to match with the route number it connected to in Nevada and also because all of their US highway proposals had used a number derived from US 30. That created a fairly long US 30S/SR 30 overlap...definitely not confusing at all...

I'm not sure if either of the overlaps were ever signed well. There is some implied concurrency signage in Logan now but that's about it. For all intents and purposes, Utah has three SR 30s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.