News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New feature on Google Street View?

Started by 20160805, August 11, 2016, 10:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was playing around in GSV two days ago, and after having traveled 10 km (6 mi), it congratulated me on having run a 10K.  Then at 42.2 km (26.2 mi), I had run a marathon, and at 100 km (62 mi) I had left the atmosphere.

Is this a new feature? Could someone enlighten me as to what the purpose of this GSV odometer is? Any and all information is much appreciated.

This is on an Android tablet, by the way.

Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

hotdogPi

It's probably for the Olympics.

However, maximum speed on Google Street View seems to be about 45 mph from personal experience, so it's much faster than actually running a 10K or a marathon.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2016, 10:50:06 AM

However, maximum speed on Google Street View seems to be about 45 mph from personal experience, so it's much faster than actually running a 10K or a marathon.

Oh.  That explains it.

Although as for maximum speed, that seems about right on mobile or a slower computer, but once I was able to get the whole way down County CB in Neenah and Greenville, WI, in just five minutes - the road is 8.2 miles long.  ;-) :sombrero:

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2016, 10:50:06 AM

Are you sure? I've done Madrid to Zaragoza (almost 200 miles) in under a hour. I routinely do in excess of 220 mph in a freeway (on Street View, of course), topping at about 250 mph.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

I don't think it's just for the Olympics - as of 6:30 this morning (CDT), I've traveled 1243 km on Google Street View since 9 August.  It must be some new feature to get people to go crazy and do entire road trips on GSV or something.

(Am I the only person who's done that?)

vdeane

Aren't the Paralympics still going on?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

english si

Quote from: vdeane on September 09, 2016, 06:41:48 PM
'still' going on? The 5 component flames of the paralympic flame had only just been lit this time last week (OK, the heritage one had been lit for 260 minutes, though the others had to wait) let alone come together for the torch relay proper. The opening ceremony was on Wednesday night and it's merely day 2 of actual events!

Of course, there's been enough time for Team GB to get to double figures when it comes to gold medals, but then again, we got 3 (the sum total of Team USA's gold so far) in 9 minutes tonight, so our 12 golds in two days isn't that surprising. ;)

pumpkineater2

How on Earth does anyone go at anywhere close to actual speeds in GSV?!? Clicking really fast doesn't do it, and neither does clicking further in the distance. WTH?
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on September 10, 2016, 04:28:08 AM
How on Earth does anyone go at anywhere close to actual speeds in GSV?!? Clicking really fast doesn't do it, and neither does clicking further in the distance. WTH?

If I click quickly and far in the distance, on a Chromebook I can get from one end of County CB in Wisconsin (8 mi) to the other in five minutes.

vdeane

Quote from: english si on September 09, 2016, 07:27:47 PM
'still' going on? The 5 component flames of the paralympic flame had only just been lit this time last week (OK, the heritage one had been lit for 260 minutes, though the others had to wait) let alone come together for the torch relay proper. The opening ceremony was on Wednesday night and it's merely day 2 of actual events!

Of course, there's been enough time for Team GB to get to double figures when it comes to gold medals, but then again, we got 3 (the sum total of Team USA's gold so far) in 9 minutes tonight, so our 12 golds in two days isn't that surprising. ;)
Considering that RandomDude was evaluating the street view feature from the end of the regular Olympics, likely not factoring in the Paralympics at all (which, in all honesty, many Americans have only heard of because Russia got banned), "still" would appear to be an appropriate word relative to all Olympics-type events going on in Rio.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brian556

It's gotta be for those who use Google Maps on exercise equipment to simulate running on a road. I've seen a commercial for this, but I forget which equipment does this.

Quote from: vdeane on September 10, 2016, 02:53:57 PM
Quote from: english si on September 09, 2016, 07:27:47 PM

Considering that RandomDude was evaluating the street view feature from the end of the regular Olympics, likely not factoring in the Paralympics at all (which, in all honesty, many Americans have only heard of because Russia got banned), "still" would appear to be an appropriate word relative to all Olympics-type events going on in Rio.

Oh - that makes sense.  The Paralympics have been mentioned only in passing once or twice around here - I often forget they exist. :o

Quote from: Brian556 on September 10, 2016, 03:25:31 PM
It's gotta be for those who use Google Maps on exercise equipment to simulate running on a road. I've seen a commercial for this, but I forget which equipment does this.
There's something like that?  Oh my.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit as of 23 September: The Paralympics have ended and the odometer is still there - I'm at 1700 km and counting. :cool:

Quote from: me on September 09, 2016, 05:20:11 PM
I don't think it's just for the Olympics - as of 6:30 this morning (CDT), I've traveled 1243 km on Google Street View since 9 August.  It must be some new feature to get people to go crazy and do entire road trips on GSV or something.

Sorry to grave-dig and double post, but my mileage as of this morning is over 2800 km.  The Paralympics have been done for over a month now and they still haven't taken the odometer thing down.  It's not that I don't like it - it's provided me an incentive to drive around more on there, but I wonder what the exact purpose of it is.

Quote from: me on October 31, 2016, 05:05:14 PM
Quote from: me on September 09, 2016, 05:20:11 PM

Sorry to grave-dig and double post, but my mileage as of this morning is over 2800 km.  The Paralympics have been done for over a month now and they still haven't taken the odometer thing down.  It's not that I don't like it - it's provided me an incentive to drive around more on there, but I wonder what the exact purpose of it is.

Over 4000 km as of this morning - I think the feature's a permanent thing now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.