News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 28, 2019, 12:07:50 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 12:03:52 AM
but it doesn't go all the way to Raleigh.
Does it need to?
Maybe, because I-87 goes all the way! Would be nice to see I-42 going there also, but they are probably not doing it because having I-40 and I-42 would be a little stupid. Maybe TO I-42 signs would be enough.

sparker

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 12:11:22 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 28, 2019, 12:07:50 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 12:03:52 AM
but it doesn't go all the way to Raleigh.
Does it need to?
Maybe, because I-87 goes all the way! Would be nice to see I-42 going there also, but they are probably not doing it because having I-40 and I-42 would be a little stupid. Maybe TO I-42 signs would be enough.

That's a bit of false analogy; I-87 doesn't multiplex with another trunk route prior to its junction with I-440; I-42 would have to multiplex with I-40 for 8 miles just to reach the Raleigh loop -- totally unnecessary, although I agree that at least some trailblazer signage for I-42 would be appropriate from the loop itself. 

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on October 30, 2019, 02:16:12 PM
Quote from: X99 on October 30, 2019, 01:35:49 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 30, 2019, 11:48:47 AM
^ Well, NCDOT's response this morning is somewhat puzzling. :hmm:

Here's what I sent:

QuoteI was looking on the website of the US-70 Corridor Commission and according to their Director's Report for January & February 2019, NCDOT got federal approval to sign the US-70 Bypass in Goldsboro as I-42. Is there a timetable for installing I-42 signs and are there plans to request the decommissioning of US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over? Thanks in advance.

Their response:

QuoteCurrently, there is no timetable for installing Interstate 42 signs and removing the US 70 signs. There are certain requirements that must be met such as connection of the Interstate between other major routes. Future Interstate 42 signs have been installed at the county lines. The corridor must be improved to interstate standard within 25 years of the future interstate designation being granted. At this time I cannot say when portions will be shielded as I-42.

If you would like to discuss further, please email or call.

Thanks, Matt Clarke
wmclarke@ncdot.gov
252-640-6419
Maybe they don't count I-795 as a major route, despite it being an Interstate.

The response is confusing to me because it reads as if the Goldsboro Bypass is not officially I-42 yet, but according to the Director's Report I mentioned, it is.

See page 4: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/Jan_Feb_2019-Directors-Report.pdf

Another head scratcher is the mention of the 25-year deadline to upgrade US-70. I was always under the impression that Congressionally-designated future interstates were exempt from FHWA's 25-year rule.

I just checked FHWA's interstate logs to see if they have been updated, but no dice. They're still dated December 31, 2018. There's still been no mention of I-42 by the local newspapers in Goldsboro. The US-70 Corridor Commission also hasn't posted the minutes from any of their meetings last year except for January and nothing at all since July.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

The Ghostbuster

In any event, once Interstate 42 is completed (from Interstate 40 to Morehead City) and fully signed as an Interstate, does anyone think the US 70 designation might be retracted on the eastern end?  I think when Interstate 42 is fully built, keeping the US 70 designation active along the route might be overkill. From the end of future Interstate 42 in Morehead City, existing US 70 could either become an eastern extension of NC 24, or a southern extension of NC 12 (with existing 70 in Atlantic ceasing to be a existing highway). Of course this is all speculative, and any such decisions are likely decades away, but I have similar feelings about other US routes along existing and future Interstates within the state.

tolbs17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 02, 2020, 04:54:25 PM
In any event, once Interstate 42 is completed (from Interstate 40 to Morehead City) and fully signed as an Interstate, does anyone think the US 70 designation might be retracted on the eastern end?  I think when Interstate 42 is fully built, keeping the US 70 designation active along the route might be overkill. From the end of future Interstate 42 in Morehead City, existing US 70 could either become an eastern extension of NC 24, or a southern extension of NC 12 (with existing 70 in Atlantic ceasing to be a existing highway). Of course this is all speculative, and any such decisions are likely decades away, but I have similar feelings about other US routes along existing and future Interstates within the state.
It looks like they are trying to do a concurrency. Same thing for US 264 I-587.

sprjus4

^

Reasonable, US-70 could be severed at I-30 southeast of Little Rock, AR once I-42 is completed. US-70 follows the I-40 corridor essentially from there to Raleigh.

US-264 could be severed, or deleted all together and replaced by a state highway between US-64 at Manns Harbor and NC-11 Bypass at Greenville.

Mileage Mike

The business routes that go through the cities could be changed to US 70 while I-42 carries what is now "US 70 Bypass".

Roadsguy

I don't think I-70 should be cut back to Little Rock since its journey is parallel to I-40, not concurrent with it. You could make the case for cutting it back to I-40 south of Raleigh, but even then I don't think so since it should be kept on its current alignment through all the towns and cities after I-42 is created, not to mention that it continues a bit past the planned terminus of I-42. It should ultimately be put back through Clayton and Smithfield, though, on current Business 70.

I think there's more of a reason to cut back US 74 to I-40 at Clyde, NC if an Interstate is created between I-26 at Columbus, NC and I-73/74 at Rockingham (or, if sanity doesn't win out regarding I-74's routing, between I-26 and downtown Wilmington), but further discussion of that belongs in Fictional Highways.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 02, 2020, 07:19:37 PM
You could make the case for cutting it back to I-40 south of Raleigh
It's the same case for US-70 between Little Rock and Raleigh.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 02, 2020, 07:22:49 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 02, 2020, 07:19:37 PM
You could make the case for cutting it back to I-40 south of Raleigh
It's the same case for US-70 between Little Rock and Raleigh.

But US 70 is on its own alignment for the majority of the distance between Little Rock and Raleigh. Not so between Raleigh and Morehead City, where it would be concurrent with I-42 for almost the entire distance, with the sole exception of the segments through Goldsboro, Kinston (assuming US 70 isn't rerouted around like with Havelock), and presumably Morehead City depending on whether I-42 actually makes it around the city to the port rather than simply stopping right before the city.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Mapmikey

Even better- replace NC 24 with US 70

tolbs17

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 02, 2020, 07:49:51 PM

Even better- replace NC 24 with US 70
Would be overkill and it may cause confusion with I-42? sings NC 24 is a backwards number.

amroad17

I believe Mapmikey was saying that US 70 should replace NC 24--at least until Spout Springs.  Then, US 70 would possibly follow NC 87 to the US 421 bypass of Sanford and duplex with US 421 to Greensboro to rejoin its current routing, even though it would be a bit convoluted.

As far as truncating US 70, maybe have the eastern end at Exit 306 near Garner when and if I-42 is finished.  Or, just route US 70 on its original alignments with an overlap on I-42 from Oliver to just west of Goldsboro.  US 70 could be truncated to the interchange just west of Lagrange, since most of the rest of US 70 east of Lagrange is supposed to be upgraded to I-42.  The 4-US 70 issue in the Smithfield-Selma area could be resolved by having US 70 follow the current business route to Oliver, decommissioning ALT US 70, and having the current regular US 70 become Business I-42, since BYP US 70 will be I-42.

Of course, these are only suggestions that border on the Fictional thread.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Mapmikey

I was thinking replace NC 24 all the way to US 601 to connect back to US 70 at Salisbury.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 04, 2020, 10:21:13 AM
I was thinking replace NC 24 all the way to US 601 to connect back to US 70 at Salisbury.
(We should be over in Fictional.) I've always thought there was a good route for a new US highway, maybe US 274, combining NC 24 from Morehead City to Fayetteville and NC 27 the rest of the way to Charlotte.

sparker

Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 04, 2020, 06:24:18 PM
(We should be over in Fictional.) I've always thought there was a good route for a new US highway, maybe US 274, combining NC 24 from Morehead City to Fayetteville and NC 27 the rest of the way to Charlotte.

Well -- I suppose that if a state can host both US 74 and I-74, it can also accommodate US 274 and I-274!  May as well double down on designations!

amroad17

That is even better.

What would you suggest to do about the independent sections of US 70 from Greensboro to at least Garner?  Make it a state route or an US x70?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on January 05, 2020, 06:59:42 AM
That is even better.

What would you suggest to do about the independent sections of US 70 from Greensboro to at least Garner?  Make it a state route or an US x70?
State route or decommission.

Mapmikey

Quote from: amroad17 on January 05, 2020, 06:59:42 AM
That is even better.

I actually meant US 52 not US 601...

Greensboro to Durham - NC 98 extension
Raleigh to Clayton or however far east - NC 54 extension
Raleigh to Durham - US 264 extension or new NC number

sprjus4

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 05, 2020, 11:31:23 AM
Once I-587 is signed concurrent with US-264 between I-87 / US-64 and Greenville, US-264 would likely end up truncated on its west end at Greenville.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 05, 2020, 12:14:13 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on January 05, 2020, 11:31:23 AM
Once I-587 is signed concurrent with US-264 between I-87 / US-64 and Greenville, US-264 would likely end up truncated on its west end at Greenville.
What will go to Washington?

sprjus4

tjcreasy

I'm new to this forum. What's with this fixation on decommissioning US Routes in general?

sprjus4

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 05, 2020, 01:36:58 PM
I'm new to this forum. What's with this fixation on decommissioning US Routes in general?
When an interstate highway replaces / parallels a good chunk of it - especially if it's on one end of it.

For instance, I-42 will replace / parallel US-70 from Raleigh to near its eastern end. It would be redundant at that point.

I-87 and I-587 would be completely concurrent with US-264 between its western end at I-440 and Greenville, which makes US-264 redundant.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.