News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 75 exit numbering, Sioux City metro

Started by kurumi, September 06, 2023, 07:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Exit numbers on US 20/75 eastbound (northbound) are 1, 2, 3, 4: ordinal but maybe close to US 20 mile markers.

US 75 north of US 20 are milepost-based starting at 93 (US 20 turnoff is exit 4 NB, exit 93 SB). That seems odd, since US 75 enters Iowa along with US 20 just a few miles away.

It looks like Iowa kept the mile markers from the earlier US 75 alignment, which entered at Council Bluffs instead of South Sioux City and generally was displaced by I-29 (and moved to Nebraska in 1984), even though the new US 75 freeway was built 20 years later.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SD Mapman

Yup, that's correct. Maybe they had already inventoried the mileposts of US 75 before 1984 and didn't want to change all the rest.

Originally, I believe this was planned to be part of a northern beltway of Sioux City (I-429), but SD quashed the idea direct from the governor.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

The Ghostbuster

Nature preserves along the Nebraska/South Dakota border would have stood in the way of an Interstate 429 northern bypass of Sioux City. How well utilized would a northern bypass have been?

iowahighways

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 06, 2023, 10:09:52 PM
Yup, that's correct. Maybe they had already inventoried the mileposts of US 75 before 1984 and didn't want to change all the rest.

Iowa first used mile markers in 1970, so that's basically why.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 06, 2023, 10:36:49 PM
Nature preserves along the Nebraska/South Dakota border would have stood in the way of an Interstate 429 northern bypass of Sioux City. How well utilized would a northern bypass have been?

I think the I-429 proposal was before the Iowa DOT decided to widen and reconstruct I-29. Now that reconstruction is finished and I-29 traffic can go 65 MPH straight through Sioux City, I don't see I-429 happening anytime soon.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

SD Mapman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 06, 2023, 10:36:49 PM
There's enough of a gap to make it down the bluffs, besides, this was in the 90s when that wasn't as big of an issue. I can't say about the general population, but I would have used the bypass, and I feel like a good amount of N-S traffic would have as well.

Quote from: iowahighways on September 07, 2023, 09:19:21 PM
I think the I-429 proposal was before the Iowa DOT decided to widen and reconstruct I-29. Now that reconstruction is finished and I-29 traffic can go 65 MPH straight through Sioux City, I don't see I-429 happening anytime soon.

This is the kicker, I-29 through downtown was miserable for years. Now it's no worse than driving through Sioux Falls.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.