News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: D.C. to retime hundreds of traffic signals

QuoteThe District Department of Transportation plans to begin a month-long program aimed at one of drivers' top complaints: the timing of traffic signals.

QuoteThe effort, set to begin Friday night, will focus on 650 intersections in the District's core, DDOT said in an announcement. The new campaign will continue through May.

QuoteIt's part of a citywide program of "signal optimization"  that began in 2012 and is scheduled to continue into 2016. DDOT's goals include improving traffic flow, making intersections safer for pedestrian crossings and improving travel times for buses.

QuoteThe zone for this particular phase of the program is 23rd Street NW on the west, North Capitol Street on the east, U Street and Florida Avenue NW to the north and Interstate 395 to the south, but DDOT said the effort will include some intersections in Georgetown along M Street and Wisconsin Avenue NW.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

WRC-TV: D.C. Investigates Congestion Pricing to Improve Traffic

QuoteD.C. is investigating congestion pricing to improve traffic in the city.

QuoteThe idea of charging a toll to enter the city during rush hour could encourage more people to take mass transit or carpool, said John Townsend of AAA, but it could also backfire, causing people to leave the area altogether.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

If they (drivers) don't want to pay for the roads or the congestion they cause, they are more than welcome to "leave the area altogether".

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 23, 2015, 03:26:50 PM
Washington Post: D.C. to retime hundreds of traffic signals

QuoteThe District Department of Transportation plans to begin a month-long program aimed at one of drivers' top complaints: the timing of traffic signals.

QuoteThe effort, set to begin Friday night, will focus on 650 intersections in the District's core, DDOT said in an announcement. The new campaign will continue through May.

QuoteIt's part of a citywide program of "signal optimization"  that began in 2012 and is scheduled to continue into 2016. DDOT's goals include improving traffic flow, making intersections safer for pedestrian crossings and improving travel times for buses.

QuoteThe zone for this particular phase of the program is 23rd Street NW on the west, North Capitol Street on the east, U Street and Florida Avenue NW to the north and Interstate 395 to the south, but DDOT said the effort will include some intersections in Georgetown along M Street and Wisconsin Avenue NW.
Sweet. It's about time they realize that traffic signals aren't for traffic calming. Get a nice 25-30 mph progression going and the flow will take care of itself. Pedestrians can cross just as easily on a synchronized red as on an asynchronized one.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on April 23, 2015, 06:16:46 PM
If they (drivers) don't want to pay for the roads or the congestion they cause, they are more than welcome to "leave the area altogether".

Perhaps more difficult in the national capital than elsewhere.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2015, 07:46:54 PM
Sweet. It's about time they realize that traffic signals aren't for traffic calming. Get a nice 25-30 mph progression going and the flow will take care of itself. Pedestrians can cross just as easily on a synchronized red as on an asynchronized one.

I hope you are correct.

But far too many District of Columbia elected officials and the almost infinitely large number of D.C. citizen activists seem to regard traffic control devices, especially signals and STOP signs, as having a primary purpose of traffic calming.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 23, 2015, 10:34:35 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2015, 07:46:54 PM

I hope you are correct.

But far too many District of Columbia elected officials and the almost infinitely large number of D.C. citizen activists seem to regard traffic control devices, especially signals and STOP signs, as having a primary purpose of traffic calming.

Heh. I have a YouTube video showing a trip on which it took us half an hour to go from 15th and New York NW to 10th and New York NW due to poorly-timed traffic lights. Ugh.

We were headed to Verizon Center. I have to admit, it is much easier from my new workplace because I walk to Farragut North and take the Red Line two stops to the arena.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Where to look out for new speed enforcement cameras

QuoteNew speed enforcement cameras in the District go online Monday.

QuoteThe Metropolitan Police Department has installed five new speed cameras across the city, in areas where speed has been a problem.

QuoteDuring  a 30-day educational period, violators will receive warning citations. After a month, speeders will get moving citations.

QuoteHere's where the new speed cameras are located:

700 block of Maryland Ave NW, southbound  25 mph
    2600 block of Wisconsin Ave NW, northbound  25 mph
    4400 block of Reservoir Rd NW, eastbound  25 mph
    2400 block of 18th St NE, southbound  25 mph
    3000 block of Pennsylvania Ave SE, northwestbound  30 mph

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 23, 2015, 10:32:02 PM

This is true.

Washington DC has the unfortunate position of not being in a state. Like any city, the majority of its workers commute in but unlike most cities, ALL of those people come from out of state. The problem with a toll though is that it's far easier to toll Virginia traffic because there are only so many ways to cross into DC from south of the city. Try tolling the Maryland traffic. There are ton of roads that run into Maryland, you'll never be able to toll everyone from that side.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 05, 2015, 01:57:58 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 23, 2015, 10:32:02 PM

This is true.

Washington DC has the unfortunate position of not being in a state. Like any city, the majority of its workers commute in but unlike most cities, ALL of those people come from out of state.

Though it is important to emphasize that there are plenty of D.C. residents that drive in their cars to work - even if they happen to have a job at a location inside D.C.

QuoteThe problem with a toll though is that it's far easier to toll Virginia traffic because there are only so many ways to cross into DC from south of the city. Try tolling the Maryland traffic. There are ton of roads that run into Maryland, you'll never be able to toll everyone from that side.

Technically, it is not a problem at all.  Consider the London (England) Congestion Charge zone (map here (.pdf)), which is entered by way of streets of varied sizes and widths.

The Nature Boy

I have no idea why any DC resident would drive to work at another DC location, what a waste of time and money. I have to imagine that the Metro would be far cheaper and less of a headache.

And the London Congestion Zone tolling is an interesting idea, I don't know enough about how it works to have an opinion either way. But DC does need to find a way to capture revenue from Maryland and Virginia people who come in and everyday.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Just trying to get home

QuoteIt's 4:30. I'm driving south on 16th Street NW on a beautiful early April afternoon in Washington. I know rush hour will be difficult as I try to get home to Virginia, so I pick the route that I hope will be the most easily managed. Hope is the operative word.

QuoteTraffic is already bad as I get close to Adams Morgan, so I get on 14th Street, which, even with all the traffic lights, eventually will get me to the bridge to Virginia. But traffic is backed up, so I turn left again toward Ninth Street, which has a tunnel that will connect me to Virginia.

QuoteAt Mount Vernon Square, nobody is moving even after the light turns green. After what seems like five seconds, the light turns red again. It takes about 15 minutes to get on Ninth Street, where every block or so there's another traffic light. But at least traffic is crawling along – until it comes to a stop near Constitution Avenue.

QuoteNobody is moving. Cross-traffic on red lights is blocking the way. It's gridlock.

The Nature Boy

How much better would traffic be if they had actually built I-95 through the city? From what I've seen, DC would benefit GREATLY from an expressway through the city. You could even do another Big Dig and bury it under the city if you have to.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 05, 2015, 02:37:48 PM
I have no idea why any DC resident would drive to work at another DC location, what a waste of time and money. I have to imagine that the Metro would be far cheaper and less of a headache.

Simple - because there are areas with employment that are not well-served by Metro.  A large example being Joint Base Anacostia Bolling in Southwest D.C. 

Most employees of the legislative branch of the government get free parking on and around Capitol Hill.

Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 05, 2015, 02:37:48 PM
And the London Congestion Zone tolling is an interesting idea, I don't know enough about how it works to have an opinion either way. But DC does need to find a way to capture revenue from Maryland and Virginia people who come in and everyday.

Though consider the phrase be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it.

Maryland and Virginia could easily make the same statement about D.C. residents that drive into their jurisdictions to reach employment, and toll them as they leave D.C.

froggie

QuoteHow much better would traffic be if they had actually built I-95 through the city? From what I've seen, DC would benefit GREATLY from an expressway through the city.

Given the level of development in the region and pent up travel demand, one could make a strong argument that traffic would actually be worse had they built I-95 through the city.  At best, it would've reduced the scope (but likely not eliminated the need) of the Wilson Bridge and Springfield Interchange projects.

Nevermind that, if you had that many more drivers coming into the DC core, where would they park?  Parking lots take up a lot of valuable real estate, and garages are expensive.  Would definitely be a losing proposition for DC proper.

QuoteYou could even do another Big Dig and bury it under the city if you have to.

Doug Willinger has been spouting that for years, but the time to attempt it is long past.  I would argue that, at this point, trying to build 95 through DC (even underground) would do more harm than good, nevermind being UNGODLY expensive.

roadman65

What happened to all the US Route shields in DC?  I was noticing that on GSV and from various road geek photos that all of the US route shields for both US 1 and US 50 are all gone.

DC is the home of FHWA, you would think they would have better signage than the 48 states that have them, but it is now terrible.   I thought it was bad over 12 years ago, the last time I rode US 1 through there, but now its the worst.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

QuoteWhat happened to all the US Route shields in DC?  I was noticing that on GSV and from various road geek photos that all of the US route shields for both US 1 and US 50 are all gone.

They are?

QuoteDC is the home of FHWA,

Which really means nothing in the grand scheme of street/road maintenance.

It's true that route signage takes a low priority in DC (something it shares with several Tennessee cities and at least one Virginia city, BTW).  But it's not like most through traffic is actually using said routes through DC.

1995hoo

There are also a couple of "DC-US" shields for Route 50 on the outbound Roosevelt Bridge, which I find mildly amusing because at that point there is no further way to remain in the District without first entering Virginia unless you jump off the side of the bridge.

I know there are some others in various places.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2015, 09:43:01 PM
What happened to all the US Route shields in DC?  I was noticing that on GSV and from various road geek photos that all of the US route shields for both US 1 and US 50 are all gone.

It is certainly a challenge to follow either of those routes across the District of Columbia.  But IMO U.S. 29 is much worse.

The only U.S. route where all (or very nearly all) of the shields have disappeared is U.S. 1 Alternate. Well-signed in Maryland, not signed (or incorrectly signed in a few places).

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2015, 09:43:01 PM
DC is the home of FHWA, you would think they would have better signage than the 48 states that have them, but it is now terrible.   I thought it was bad over 12 years ago, the last time I rode US 1 through there, but now its the worst.

Not sure that there are very many roadgeek types at FHWA headquarters that would take notice of such things.

roadman65

Oh I forgot about US 1 Alternate.  Yes it disappears completely once across the border into DC.

US 29, has gotten worse, I imagine, now its alignment is changed.  It is around the same time is it not, that the shields disappeared? 

Being that someone was ordered to remove those little signs, whoever placed the request should have known that those were there for a reason and either kept them or updated them.  Even those erroneous interstate shields on NB NW 14th Street at Constitution Avenue for US 1 and US 50 are now gone, no doubt purposely removed.  Then the ones SB on NW 9th Street at Constitution Avenue for US 1, US 50, and I-395 is also removed also on order.  Why would someone even think of taking down these shields anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on May 22, 2015, 11:25:10 AM
Oh I forgot about US 1 Alternate.  Yes it disappears completely once across the border into DC.
IMO this is unfortunate, because it still shows in several GPS navigation programs.

US 29, has gotten worse, I imagine, now its alignment is changed.  It is around the same time is it not, that the shields disappeared?
There are some U.S. 29 shields along Georgia Avenue, N.W., but it is nearly impossible to follow it from 7th and Florida Avenue, N.W. to the Key Bridge to cross into Arlington County, Va. 

Being that someone was ordered to remove those little signs, whoever placed the request should have known that those were there for a reason and either kept them or updated them.  Even those erroneous interstate shields on NB NW 14th Street at Constitution Avenue for US 1 and US 50 are now gone, no doubt purposely removed.  Then the ones SB on NW 9th Street at Constitution Avenue for US 1, US 50, and I-395 is also removed also on order.  Why would someone even think of taking down these shields anyway.
I don't know why they have been removed, but it's not unique to D.C. Many municipalities do not bother with posting U.S. and state route numbers that happen to run on their municipal streets.

The Ghostbuster

Any plans to sort out the confusing exit numbers on Interstate 395?

vdeane

They'll probably sort out as signs are replaced.  DC appears to be undergoing a quiet conversion to mile-based exit numbers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Memorial Bridge, symbol of U.S. strength, is corroded, partly shut down

QuoteThe iconic 1930s-era Memorial Bridge that leads from the entrance of Arlington National Cemetery to the Lincoln Memorial is so badly corroded that two lanes must be partially shut down for six to nine months starting with Friday's morning rush hour, federal officials said Thursday.

QuoteIn addition, a 10-ton load limit across the entire length of the bridge essentially eliminates most bus traffic on the granite-faced, arching landmark for even longer, pending a much-needed rehab of the whole bridge, officials said. The prohibition begins Friday, but with an "education period"  without ticketing for a couple of weeks to give Metro and tour bus operators time to find detours, according to the National Park Service.

QuoteAlthough tens of thousands of U.S. bridges have been deemed "structurally deficient,"  the functional mess and potent symbolism of a crumbling Memorial Bridge needing emergency repairs had the Washington region's congressional representatives fuming.

QuoteSen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) warned of "unbearable congestion"  for the more than 60,000 drivers who cross the Potomac between Virginia and the District daily. Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) called it "not just embarrassing — it's outrageous."  

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Stones laid by Benjamin Banneker in the 1790s are still standing.

QuoteIn the summer of 1790, the U.S. Congress authorized President George Washington to select a 100-square-mile site along the Potomac River as the new nation's capital. A year later, Continental Army Maj. Andrew Ellicott, joined by Benjamin Banneker, a freed slave and self-taught mathematician, was commissioned to carve out the boundaries of what would soon become Washington, D.C.

QuoteAs a way of clearly demarcating the new city from Maryland and Virginia, the two men began planting 40 limestone markers along the new borders in 1791. These boundary stones, as they came to be known, were planted every mile, creating the diamond-shaped swath of land that marked the original District's borders.

Quote"These stones are our nation's oldest national landmarks,"  said Sharon K. Thorne-Sulima, regent for the Martha Washington Chapter of the D.C. Daughters of the American Revolution.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.