News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Left Lane Camping

Started by webny99, June 01, 2017, 09:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Most cops give you 5 over the speed limit. In Michigan on the Interstate highways you can do 10 over and most of the time you're fine. The reason is that they are looking for people going 85 and over and they know they'll get them so they usually leave you alone at 80 mph

Flint1979

Quote from: yand on April 12, 2019, 10:28:32 PM
The only problem I have with middle lane camping is that technically, it is illegal in some areas.
Between all the inadequate merge areas and closely spaced exits, it is just defensive driving to keep out of the right lane when possible. In fact, many merge areas will have the sign "through traffic keep left" because that's just a good idea. Even if you don't meet one of the legal exceptions for being in the left lane right now, chances are sooner or later you will.
The left lane is for driving at or below the speed limit, as long as you meet the requirements for entering the left lane.
Vehicles on the left lane cannot physically prevent you from passing on the right. If you have no problem with speeding then you should have no problem passing from the right with care. In fact, from just a cursory search it seems that passing from the right on a multi lane, 1-way road is not really illegal in the US.

Do that in Michigan and I guarantee you'll be feeling the pressure of being tailgated and angering other motorists. The left lane is the passing lane so go ahead and tell me how you are suppose to pass on the right. From the way you talk you'd be run off the road in Detroit.

J N Winkler

As a practical matter, on an urban freeway with closely spaced ramps and operating at fairly low LOS, staying in the middle lane is often about limiting the number of lane changes (a safety-critical maneuver) that are motivated by a desire to avoid slow traffic in the right-hand lane.  It often happens that the middle and right lanes alternate in having the faster traffic.

And from an enforcement perspective, it is usually safer to fail to KRETP than to fail to comply with the speed limit.  It takes more time for a police officer to establish that a vehicle is failing to KRETP.  Speeding takes just a spot check with radar and then you are done.  In Wichita, where I live, Kellogg (US 54-400) is the principal crosstown freeway with six through lanes and a 60 limit, and the police routinely write tickets for 80+ while I have never heard of a single ticket being issued for failure to KRETP (which is required by state law in Kansas).  Some people have actually written letters to the Wichita Eagle to specify that on Kellogg, the left lane is for passing, the middle lane is for driving, and the right lane is for entering and exiting.  This is not actually correct in terms of the KRETP law, but under conditions of poor LOS/heavy entering and exiting volumes, a defensive driver will be making heavy enough use of the middle lane that it effectively acts as his or her driving lane.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 13, 2019, 11:40:48 AM
Some people have actually written letters to the Wichita Eagle to specify that on Kellogg, the left lane is for passing, the middle lane is for driving, and the right lane is for entering and exiting.  This is not actually correct in terms of the KRETP law, but under conditions of poor LOS/heavy entering and exiting volumes, a defensive driver will be making heavy enough use of the middle lane that it effectively acts as his or her driving lane.

I completely agree when it comes to urban freeways with high frequency of exits. However, on rural six lane freeways (I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus, I-95 between Philly and Baltimore, ON-401 between London and Toronto, etc.) entering and exiting traffic does not significantly affect the LOS and conditions are generally free-flowing, therefore drivers should not default to the middle lane.

That is a distinction I have no trouble making, but I wonder if many drivers assume that if traffic volumes warrant six lanes, there will always be enough entering/ exiting traffic to justify their continued presence in the middle lane. There are some cases in suburban or semi-rural areas where it is tough to say whether defaulting to the middle is acceptable.

J N Winkler

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2019, 02:04:50 PMThat is a distinction I have no trouble making, but I wonder if many drivers assume that if traffic volumes warrant six lanes, there will always be enough entering/ exiting traffic to justify their continued presence in the middle lane. There are some cases in suburban or semi-rural areas where it is tough to say whether defaulting to the middle is acceptable.

My usual rule of thumb is that if I am in the middle lane when the gap between exits widens and traffic in the right lane speeds up to the point that cars would consistently pass me on the right, I will move right as soon as I can find a gap wide enough to allow me to do it without undue interference with someone else's space cushion.  Most of the time it is a judgment call.  I try to keep things smooth (including no avoidable application of brakes except to disengage cruise control on the daily driver, which has no cruise cancel button) because inviting other drivers to ride their reflexes is usually a recipe for trouble.

Edit:  Another issue that comes into play with heavily used long-distance corridors like Hwy. 401 in Ontario is that stranger drivers often have zero prior route knowledge and thus take much longer than local or "local stranger" drivers to recognize when they have run out of town and should start adhering to KRETP more strictly.  It hardly helps that in places like Cambridge, through traffic is such a high percentage of the total that there is no easily recognizable bulge in traffic going through town.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Flint1979

I flat out think to myself what in the hell were you thinking when you entered the left lane to move that slow? I think that a lot of people think that the left lane is used to travel in as well. I can't stand that. It especially gets bad once you get south of the I-75/US-23 split in Flint on US-23.

Beltway

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2019, 02:04:50 PM
I completely agree when it comes to urban freeways with high frequency of exits. However, on rural six lane freeways (I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus, I-95 between Philly and Baltimore, ON-401 between London and Toronto, etc.) entering and exiting traffic does not significantly affect the LOS and conditions are generally free-flowing, therefore drivers should not default to the middle lane.
That is a distinction I have no trouble making, but I wonder if many drivers assume that if traffic volumes warrant six lanes, there will always be enough entering/ exiting traffic to justify their continued presence in the middle lane. There are some cases in suburban or semi-rural areas where it is tough to say whether defaulting to the middle is acceptable.

That is what I was originally referring to, rural and semi-rural 6-lane freeways with widely spaced interchanges (rural spacings of 3 miles more more).  Urban freeways and beltway freeways have closely spaced interchanges and there is reason to try to avoid the right lane during heavy traffic periods.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

yand

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2019, 10:44:04 AM

The only problem I have with middle lane camping is that technically, it is illegal in some areas.
Between all the inadequate merge areas and closely spaced exits, it is just defensive driving to keep out of the right lane when possible. In fact, many merge areas will have the sign "through traffic keep left" because that's just a good idea. Even if you don't meet one of the legal exceptions for being in the left lane right now, chances are sooner or later you will.
The left lane is for driving at or below the speed limit, as long as you meet the requirements for entering the left lane.
Vehicles on the left lane cannot physically prevent you from passing on the right. If you have no problem with speeding then you should have no problem passing from the right with care. In fact, from just a cursory search it seems that passing from the right on a multi lane, 1-way road is not really illegal in the US.

Do that in Michigan and I guarantee you'll be feeling the pressure of being tailgated and angering other motorists. The left lane is the passing lane so go ahead and tell me how you are suppose to pass on the right. From the way you talk you'd be run off the road in Detroit.

Since you're responding to my entire post I have no idea which specific thing you are responding to. However, everything I've said is defensible.

edit: I had a brain fart, you were obviously referring to passing from the right
If people are bunched up in the middle lane doing 60 in a 65, it is unreasonable to expect traffic in the right lane to also go 60. People who are bunched up in the middle lane aren't going to leave it just to tailgate someone who passed them on the right instead of squeezing through 2 lanes to pass them on the left. On the other hand, driving slower than the speed limit when there's plenty of room to go faster just to obey some European law not enforced (nor even on the books) in much of the US is an excellent way to get tailgated by other cars in the right lane.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

bing101

I speed up on the freeway when somebody flashes the High beams on me and change lanes immediately to get out of the way though and avoid lane camping and then I go back to the speed limit when I am out of the way.

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on April 14, 2019, 07:14:32 PM
I speed up on the freeway when somebody flashes the High beams on me and change lanes immediately to get out of the way though and avoid lane camping and then I go back to the speed limit when I am out of the way.

I do the same thing. Avoids confrontations, minimizes rage. Sure, I have to speed up, but it's either that or be tailgated.

kphoger

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 12, 2019, 06:54:17 PM
In some states the right lane is designated by statue for ... vehicles moving below the speed limit.

Go ahead and cite one single such statute.

Between all the inadequate merge areas and closely spaced exits, it is just defensive driving to keep out of the right lane when possible.

And it is also defensive driving to keep right when faster drivers approach you from behind.  I don't think anybody on here really complains about staying in the center lane when nobody faster is coming up from behind but, if someone had room to pass you on the right without interfering with those closely-spaced entrances, then you had room to move over and let him by on the correct side.

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 13, 2019, 11:40:48 AM
In Wichita, where I live, Kellogg (US 54-400) is the principal crosstown freeway with six through lanes and a 60 limit, and the police routinely write tickets for 80+ while I have never heard of a single ticket being issued for failure to KRETP (which is required by state law in Kansas). 

The Kansas KRETP statute does not apply on Kellogg, as it is explicitly limited to any "highway located outside the corporate limits of any city".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2019, 01:58:57 PMAnd it is also defensive driving to keep right when faster drivers approach you from behind.  I don't think anybody on here really complains about staying in the center lane when nobody faster is coming up from behind but, if someone had room to pass you on the right without interfering with those closely-spaced entrances, then you had room to move over and let him by on the correct side.

Appetites for risk differ.  Often enough space will open up behind a platoon on the right that a really impatient following driver can perform a risky slalom maneuver to get in front of me, but that does not obligate me to change lanes at that point if that would result in my tailgating someone else.  I consider myself to have driven successfully for over 25 years (no injury or PDO accidents involving another vehicle) partly because I have never let impatient or aggressive drivers dictate my standards for headway or gap acceptance.

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2019, 01:58:57 PMThe Kansas KRETP statute does not apply on Kellogg, as it is explicitly limited to any "highway located outside the corporate limits of any city".

Noted--I was not aware of this exclusion.  I actually haven't heard of anyone being ticketed anywhere in Kansas for failing to KRETP.

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 15, 2019, 03:50:14 PM
I consider myself to have driven successfully for over 25 years (no injury or PDO accidents involving another vehicle) partly because I have never let impatient or aggressive drivers dictate my standards for headway or gap acceptance

Interesting. I very frequently will allow other drivers (chiefly impatient ones) to dictate my movements. Why? I want control of the situation. They are "taking control" in the sense that they are causing me to, at least temporarily, change my behavior, but I'm still in safe control of my vehicle; "safe" being the key word there.

Example: If a fast driver comes up on me doing 90, while I'm passing 60mph traffic to my right at 70, I will speed up to maybe 75 or 80 once they're close to me (so they've noticed that I've sped up), put my blinker on about 5-10 seconds prior to my lane change, and then move over. My actions told the faster driver "I see you, no need to be aggressive or honk"...it's worked every single time I've done it. I've put myself in a position to receive a ticket, but A) a 90mph driver isn't very likely if there's police around, and B) I'd rather pay a ticket, or attempt to talk my way out of a ticket, rather than potentially be involved in a crash caused by the actions of an aggressive driver.

I have seen way too many dashcam videos on YouTube of drivers who think it's funny to get in the way of someone who's driving faster, or drive really slowly to piss someone off...way too often, this leads to close calls or collisions, or at the very least some verbal rage. I honestly don't understand what's funny about playing chicken with 6000 lbs of metal.

Unrelated to above: I'm also very social, a trait I don't see much. I always keep my window down, gesturing often (asking for a lane change, waving, maybe giving the occasional "what the F?" gesture), and sometimes engaging with other drivers...I find drivers are more forgiving once they remember that there's an actual human in the car.

Flint1979

Quote from: yand on April 14, 2019, 05:34:51 PM

Since you're responding to my entire post I have no idea which specific thing you are responding to. However, everything I've said is defensible.

edit: I had a brain fart, you were obviously referring to passing from the right
If people are bunched up in the middle lane doing 60 in a 65, it is unreasonable to expect traffic in the right lane to also go 60. People who are bunched up in the middle lane aren't going to leave it just to tailgate someone who passed them on the right instead of squeezing through 2 lanes to pass them on the left. On the other hand, driving slower than the speed limit when there's plenty of room to go faster just to obey some European law not enforced (nor even on the books) in much of the US is an excellent way to get tailgated by other cars in the right lane.
Sorry, I meant the part where you said, "The left lane is for driving at or below the speed limit, as long as you meet the requirements for entering the left lane." And what I mean is that if traffic is moving most people are going to be going at least 80 mph while you have the slow pokes that'll poke along at 62-65 mph, those drivers do not belong in the left lane but yet they get over there and clog up traffic.

An example in Michigan is south of Joslyn Road I-75 exit 83 the highway becomes eight lanes (four in each direction) and I-75 interchanges with M-24, University Drive, Chrysler Drive, M-59 and Square Lake those five interchanges add a large volume of traffic to I-75 going south so the trick is to get in the left lane as soon as you can and keep it at 80 but go up to 85 if you can and don't see a cop. I don't suggest the 85 mph part if you don't know the area that well. Most of the time there might be a cop around University or Chrysler or at the turn around on the other side of the Adams Road exit. But anyway back on topic, staying in the left lane in this situation helps you pass a lot of traffic that you'd be blended in with only going about 65 mph or 70 at the most. Btw, the Michigan State Police almost never give you a hard time about driving 80 mph on the highways but anything over 80 is risky.

pdx-wanderer

QuoteGo ahead and cite one single such statute.

CVC 21655 (a) Whenever the Department of Transportation or local authorities with respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions determines upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that the designation of a specific lane or lanes for the travel of vehicles required to travel at reduced speeds would facilitate the safe and orderly movement of traffic, the department or local authority may designate a specific lane or lanes for the travel of vehicles which are subject to the provisions of Section 22406 (vehicles with a 55 mph speed limit) and shall erect signs at reasonable intervals giving notice thereof.

You can find these on the Grapevine and a bunch on I-15 from Cajon Pass north (and probably other places too) with markings of "Truck Lane: Slow Vehicles Only."

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on April 15, 2019, 06:51:08 PMInteresting. I very frequently will allow other drivers (chiefly impatient ones) to dictate my movements. Why? I want control of the situation. They are "taking control" in the sense that they are causing me to, at least temporarily, change my behavior, but I'm still in safe control of my vehicle; "safe" being the key word there.

Example: If a fast driver comes up on me doing 90, while I'm passing 60mph traffic to my right at 70, I will speed up to maybe 75 or 80 once they're close to me (so they've noticed that I've sped up), put my blinker on about 5-10 seconds prior to my lane change, and then move over. My actions told the faster driver "I see you, no need to be aggressive or honk"...it's worked every single time I've done it. I've put myself in a position to receive a ticket, but A) a 90mph driver isn't very likely if there's police around, and B) I'd rather pay a ticket, or attempt to talk my way out of a ticket, rather than potentially be involved in a crash caused by the actions of an aggressive driver.

I suspect we are arriving at similar outcomes by different routes.  Personally, I just let slalom drivers do their thing--once they commit to the maneuver (and I can usually tell when they have done so), I feel it is less risky to feed them more space in which they can (hopefully) carry out the maneuver more safely than to try to cut them off.  On occasion I add some extra speed to complete overtakes when there is someone riding my tail, but I prefer not to initiate the maneuver if I can see that a really fast driver will be on my tail before I am able to finish.  If this means I am crawling in the right lane at 60 in a 70 while traffic just over the horizon is stacked up in the left lane waiting for an elephant race to finish, so be it.

Quote from: jakeroot on April 15, 2019, 06:51:08 PMI have seen way too many dashcam videos on YouTube of drivers who think it's funny to get in the way of someone who's driving faster, or drive really slowly to piss someone off...way too often, this leads to close calls or collisions, or at the very least some verbal rage. I honestly don't understand what's funny about playing chicken with 6000 lbs of metal.

I don't think I'm seeing those YouTubes.  The ones I generally see (through Facebook shares and the like) feature aggressive overtakers wiping out further up the road.  I don't think this is an uplifting genre either.

As I plan overtaking maneuvers, I try to keep in mind that if anything I do precipitates a road-rage incident (which so far has not happened to me), it is to my advantage to be behind the vehicle whose driver I suspect would be the aggressor.

yand

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2019, 01:58:57 PM
Between all the inadequate merge areas and closely spaced exits, it is just defensive driving to keep out of the right lane when possible.

And it is also defensive driving to keep right when faster drivers approach you from behind.  I don't think anybody on here really complains about staying in the center lane when nobody faster is coming up from behind but, if someone had room to pass you on the right without interfering with those closely-spaced entrances, then you had room to move over and let him by on the correct side.

The problem with moving into the right lane when there is space is of course, things change and the middle lane can become unavailable when you want it.

I'm paranoid about breaking traffic laws so I personally keep right and obey speed limits as much as I can. In heavier traffic this often results in me passing cars from the right, which is legal and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

However, I haven't forgotten how great middle lane camping is. There are so many benefits: not being affected by lane endings, being in a convenient position to take left or right spurs/exits. On mountains without marked climbing lanes, truckers don't pass you at 100mph then move back into the right lane for the slow climb.

It is my position that any vehicle able to travel at the speed limit is not being impeded. De-escalation is indeed defensive driving, but nobody should be obligated to move over for vehicles that are illegally speeding. If the laws were better enforced, then nobody would be passing me at a speed obviously outside of the margin of error in the first place.

Many people treat the middle lane as a travel lane in their daily commutes, getting passed on the right, without incident. If I made the laws, through traffic travelling near the speed limit would always be allowed to take the middle lane, regardless of cars coming from behind.

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 15, 2019, 07:33:04 PM
Quote from: yand on April 14, 2019, 05:34:51 PM

Sorry, I meant the part where you said, "The left lane is for driving at or below the speed limit, as long as you meet the requirements for entering the left lane." And what I mean is that if traffic is moving most people are going to be going at least 80 mph while you have the slow pokes that'll poke along at 62-65 mph, those drivers do not belong in the left lane but yet they get over there and clog up traffic.

An example in Michigan is south of Joslyn Road I-75 exit 83 the highway becomes eight lanes (four in each direction) and I-75 interchanges with M-24, University Drive, Chrysler Drive, M-59 and Square Lake those five interchanges add a large volume of traffic to I-75 going south so the trick is to get in the left lane as soon as you can and keep it at 80 but go up to 85 if you can and don't see a cop. I don't suggest the 85 mph part if you don't know the area that well. Most of the time there might be a cop around University or Chrysler or at the turn around on the other side of the Adams Road exit. But anyway back on topic, staying in the left lane in this situation helps you pass a lot of traffic that you'd be blended in with only going about 65 mph or 70 at the most. Btw, the Michigan State Police almost never give you a hard time about driving 80 mph on the highways but anything over 80 is risky.

If they're not passing anyone, then they don't meet the requirements for entering the left lane. If they're passing someone at a reasonable speed, then they belong in the left lane. I've done plenty of passes at the speed limit (I'll speed a little bit to maintain at least a ~3mph speed differential to the car being passed if someone is behind me), and I do get tailgated when I do this and it isn't a big deal.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

RobbieL2415

In some states the right lane is designated by statue for ... vehicles moving below the speed limit.

CGS Sec. 14-230. Driving in right-hand lane. (a) Upon all highways, each vehicle, other than a vehicle described in subsection (c) of this section, shall be driven upon the right, except (1) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (2) when overtaking and passing pedestrians, parked or standing vehicles, animals, bicycles, electric bicycles, mopeds, scooters, vehicles moving at a slow speed, as defined in section 14-220, or obstructions on the right side of the highway, (3) when the right side of a highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, (4) on a highway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic, or (5) on a highway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(c) Any vehicle which exceeds the maximum width limitations specified in subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of section 14-262 and operates on an interstate highway with a special permit issued by the Commissioner of Transportation under the provisions of section 14-270, shall be driven in the extreme right lane of such highway, except (1) when such special permit authorizes operation in a traffic lane other than the extreme right lane, (2) when overtaking and passing parked vehicles, animals or obstructions on the right side of such highway, (3) when the right side of such highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, or (4) at such locations where access to or egress from such highway is provided on the left.

(d) Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.

*Please note the bolded in subsection b.  If you are moving with the flow of traffic you can stay in whatever lane your in.  Only slower moving vehicles must absolutely keep right except to pass.

CGS Sec. 14-233. Passing on right. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only when conditions permit such movement in safety and under the following conditions: (1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or has signified the intention to make a left turn; (2) when lines of vehicles traveling in the same direction in adjoining traffic lanes have come to a stop or have reduced their speed; (3) upon a one-way street free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles; (4) upon a limited access highway or parkway free from obstructions with three or more lanes provided for traffic in one direction. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the highway except where lane designations, signs, signals or markings provide for such movement. Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.

There has been a push recently in the General Assembly to eliminate this exception.
We also don't have a statute for "impeding the flow of traffic".  Sec 14-220 covers slow moving vehicles so I would assume that's what is used.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 15, 2019, 10:44:52 PM

CGS Sec. 14-230. Driving in right-hand lane. (a) Upon all highways, each vehicle, other than a vehicle described in subsection (c) of this section, shall be driven upon the right, except (1) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (2) when overtaking and passing pedestrians, parked or standing vehicles, animals, bicycles, electric bicycles, mopeds, scooters, vehicles moving at a slow speed, as defined in section 14-220, or obstructions on the right side of the highway, (3) when the right side of a highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, (4) on a highway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic, or (5) on a highway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(c) Any vehicle which exceeds the maximum width limitations specified in subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of section 14-262 and operates on an interstate highway with a special permit issued by the Commissioner of Transportation under the provisions of section 14-270, shall be driven in the extreme right lane of such highway, except (1) when such special permit authorizes operation in a traffic lane other than the extreme right lane, (2) when overtaking and passing parked vehicles, animals or obstructions on the right side of such highway, (3) when the right side of such highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, or (4) at such locations where access to or egress from such highway is provided on the left.

*Please note the bolded in subsection b.  If you are moving with the flow of traffic you can stay in whatever lane your in.  Only slower moving vehicles must absolutely keep right except to pass.

CGS Sec. 14-233. Passing on right. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only when conditions permit such movement in safety and under the following conditions: (1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or has signified the intention to make a left turn; (2) when lines of vehicles traveling in the same direction in adjoining traffic lanes have come to a stop or have reduced their speed; (3) upon a one-way street free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles; (4) upon a limited access highway or parkway free from obstructions with three or more lanes provided for traffic in one direction. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the highway except where lane designations, signs, signals or markings provide for such movement. Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.

There has been a push recently in the General Assembly to eliminate this exception.

At no point did it state anything about below the speed limit. It simply stated below the normal speed of traffic.  If the limit is 65, traffic is flowing at 80 mph and you're going 75, you're to keep to the right. Likewise, if traffic is flowing at 60 mph and you're going 50 mph, keep to the right.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 15, 2019, 10:51:35 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 15, 2019, 10:44:52 PM

At no point did it state anything about below the speed limit. It simply stated below the normal speed of traffic.  If the limit is 65, traffic is flowing at 80 mph and you're going 75, you're to keep to the right. Likewise, if traffic is flowing at 60 mph and you're going 50 mph, keep to the right.

This is true but my point still stands.  In CT there is no absolute requirement on a highway with three or more lanes and when moving with the  speed of traffic to keep right except to pass.

Flint1979

Nope when your doing that you are impeding the flow of traffic which is against the law.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 15, 2019, 11:00:57 PM
This is true but my point still stands.  In CT there is no absolute requirement on a highway with three or more lanes and when moving with the  speed of traffic to keep right except to pass.

If the entire highway is somehow moving at the same speed, you are correct.  However, that doesn't happen.  If someone passes you on the right, then you are in violation of failing to keep to the right.

yand

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2019, 06:11:06 AM

If the entire highway is somehow moving at the same speed, you are correct.  However, that doesn't happen.  If someone passes you on the right, then you are in violation of failing to keep to the right.

"If someone passes you on the right, then you are in violation of failing to keep to the right."
That's not an absolute rule. Suppose you, a speed limit abiding driver, move to the left lane to accommodate the merge. Before you are able to move back to the right lane, the merged cars accelerate to above the speed limit. Cars behind them closely follow, all trying to pass you on the right. If cars in the right lane are are failing to maintain a sufficient gap needed for merging back to the right lane without tailgating or being tailgated, then you are not in violation of KRETP regardless of whether you are passing or being passed.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2019, 06:11:06 AM

Found the person who has never driven a multi-lane urban freeway in moderate-to-heavy traffic.

hotdogPi

You can't violate a law because of another driver's actions. Passing on the right should still be avoided, but the blame depends on the situation.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.