News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have any of you not been to your state's capital?

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 05, 2018, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thenetwork

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 05, 2018, 09:12:56 PM
I obviously have, but have any of you not?

I have gone on the FREE tour of my capital's State Capitol building in Denver.  Got to go up into the top of the dome where they have a pretty decent observation deck.

MNHighwayMan

I'm in my state's capital right now, as I post this. I also, at one time many years ago, lived in my home state's capital, too.

oscar

There's a difference between visiting the capital city, and going inside the capitol building.

I've been to Virginia's capital city Richmond, but have never been to Virginia's capitol. I have been to both in California where I used to live.

Oddly enough, I've been inside more capitol buildings in Canada (Quebec's National Assembly, and the territorial capitols of Northwest Territories and Nunavut) than in the U.S. (the U.S. Capitol in D.C., and California's -- though I have been on the grounds of the ones in New Mexico and Hawaii).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bing101

I have been to my state's capital once and it was to visit how state government worked when I was in High school. But in my college years I commuted to Sacramento for school reasons but simply pass by the capital on my way home.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

The only state I've lived in where I haven't been to the capital city was Illinois with Springfield.  I lived in two capital cities with Phoenix in Arizona and Lansing in Michigan. 

TheHighwayMan3561

States I've visited "significant" portions of where I have not been to or through the general vicinity of the capital:

Arkansas
California
Illinois
Kansas
Mississippi
Missouri
New Mexico
Ohio
South Dakota
Utah
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

I have, but I've been to Madison and Lansing far more often, especially Lansing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rothman

Although I lived in California, I have never been to Sacramento.  Been at least to the capital cities of the other states in which I have lived (IN, MA, ID, MD, VA, WI and NY).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Hurricane Rex

Just driven through, never stopped for any reason except gas one time.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Scott5114

I've been to Oklahoma City, but I lived in Missouri for a year for school and still haven't made it up to Jeff City.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

CNGL-Leudimin

Physically impossible for me unless the Spanish Constitution is amended. However, I've been too many times to count in my autonomous community's capital.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rothman on January 06, 2018, 12:18:51 AM
Although I lived in California, I have never been to Sacramento.  Been at least to the capital cities of the other states in which I have lived (IN, MA, ID, MD, VA, WI and NY).
Oh I
Quote from: Brandon on January 06, 2018, 12:12:37 AM
I have, but I've been to Madison and Lansing far more often, especially Lansing.
Oh I think you've been to Illinois's capital more often.

Oh wait...

you mean Springfield, not Chicago. ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jp the roadgeek

Capitals I've been to or through: Augusta (ME), Concord (NH), Montpelier (VT), Boston (MA), Providence (RI), Hartford (CT), Albany (NY), Trenton (NJ), Harrisburg (PA), Dover (DE), Annapolis (MD), Indianapolis (IN), Honolulu (HI), Atlanta (GA), and Washington, DC (US).  Also Quebec City (PQ)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Work requires me to go to my state's capital city on a decently-regular basis.

Work has also required me to visit my state's capitol.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

I've been to the Albany area twice, but never within the city limits.

This is also the case for Boston, MA, Trenton, NJ, Charleston, WV, and Madison, WI.

Capital cities I have actually been to are Harrisburg, PA, Frankfort, KY, Columbus, OH, and St. Paul, MN.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on January 06, 2018, 02:28:56 PM
So only Schenectady then?  Thruway exit 24 is in the City of Albany.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 08:33:01 AM
Physically impossible for me unless the Spanish Constitution is amended. However, I've been too many times to count in my autonomous community's capital.
The Spanish Constitution forbids people from visiting certain cities?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

That explains it.  I'm not normally that anal about these threads, so it didn't occur to me to think on those lines.  I usually just think "or equivalent" when dealing with other countries.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on January 06, 2018, 06:11:55 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 06, 2018, 02:28:56 PM
So only Schenectady then?  Thruway exit 24 is in the City of Albany.

Should have researched instead of assuming  :spin: In that case, I have been (once) since I passed through exit 24 on my Boston trip. The other trip (Lake George) I came and went via Amsterdam.

Never been downtown Albany though.

JMoses24

My address now is technically an OKC address. Other than that, I have been to Columbus, Ohio but did not go to Frankfort when I lived in Kentucky.

SectorZ

What about being born in the state's capital?

US 89

Quote from: SectorZ on January 06, 2018, 08:52:02 PM

What about being born in the state's capital?

I was born in Salt Lake City.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.