Freeways / Expressways given ordinary street names

Started by mrose, April 30, 2013, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2013, 05:38:05 AM

QuoteIn Virginia, VA-28 was recently upgraded to full freeway between the signalized entrance to Lawrence Park and its northern terminus at VA-7.  (The RIRO entrance to the Sully Plantation was relocated to the museum interchange)  Yet it still seems to be called Sully Rd.

Yes, VA 28 is still Sully Rd through there.

Indeed when I check the online statement for my E-ZPass account it refers to the Route 28 toll plaza as "Sully Rd" (if I hover over the plaza code). I can't say as I recall the last time I heard anyone actually use that name, though, other than when I used it myself about two weeks ago (but only because Ms1995hoo and I were in the car on that road and I commented that I remember when it was a two-lane road out in the sticks and people knew it as "Sully Road"....she did not remember those days).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

route56

In Kansas City: Bruce R. Watkins Drive. (AKA, the reason why I-49 ends at the Triangle). Planned as a freeway, built as a partial freeway/partial expressway by consent decree. I think most of you know the story by now ;)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Bickendan

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2013, 05:38:05 AM
QuoteCedar Avenue in MN. No one refers to it as highway 77 (it's freeway segment), county 23, or county 152.

True on the last one...One occasionally hears the other two, especially south of Apple Valley for County 23.  It's not common on the Hwy 77 stretch, though.

It should also be noted that, in light of NE2's comment, the stretch of MN 77/Cedar Ave from the Mall of America down to I-35E was all new-alignment construction, not an "ordinary street given freeway upgrade".
The amusing thing about the southern Cedar Ave freeway alignment is that Cedar Ave retains its name south of the end of the freeway, technically displaced from the grid from its northern at-grade portion in Minneapolis, unlike other arteries like, say, Portland Ave and Nicollette Ave.

froggie

Has to do with the old Cedar Ave bridge (ca. 1890) being in place before the streetnaming grid.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: mgk920 on May 02, 2013, 11:20:10 AM
Quote from: WichitaRoads on April 30, 2013, 03:16:05 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 30, 2013, 12:35:23 AM
Wichita's one example is semi-famous:  Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400), which despite the name is a full freeway for 13 miles.

Ya beat me to it! You think they will ever just call it Kellogg Expressway? I hope not. How about a new name? This could carry over to the Central States....

ICTRds

This is one case where a previous regular surface street was progressively upgraded over the years to become a full freeway.  These upgrades are still under way.

Mike

I usually refer to it as "The Kellogg Freeway," and if you Google those words, inside quotation marks, you'll find that I'm not the only one.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Ned Weasel

What about expressways that have no route number whatsoever, and are only designated as city streets?  Shawnee Mission Parkway in Shawnee, KS, between Pflumm Road and KS 7, is one such example.  Any others?  Is there already a thread for this?

http://maps.google.com/?ll=39.011048,-94.792614&spn=0.068827,0.169086&t=m&z=13
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

vtk

A section of Henderson Road in Columbus has the access-control characteristics and high speed (for an urban arterial) of an expressway, but not breakdown lanes or Chapter 2E signage.  Similar with Alum Creek Drive from I-270 to Rickenbacker. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

webfil

London, Ontario has a 5-km expressway that connects the core of the city to ON-401 named "Highbury Avenue".

http://goo.gl/maps/9lpsm

Molandfreak

U.S. 52 expressway, St. Paul to Rochester:

(Lafayette Freeway),
Courthouse Bouleverd,
Clayton Avenue,
Coates Boulevard,
Emery Avenue,
Rochester Boulevard,
(Highway 52 Boulevard),
(U.S. 52).

I don't know why Dakota County has to make things so difficult. :pan:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

route56

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 05, 2013, 10:31:58 PM
What about expressways that have no route number whatsoever, and are only designated as city streets?  Shawnee Mission Parkway in Shawnee, KS, between Pflumm Road and KS 7, is one such example.

Shawnee Mission Parkway is the former K-12, née K-10, and is likely a special case.

In KCS, the Turner Diagonal formerly carried US 40 and K-132, but is now a KCK roadway north of Kaw Drive/K-32.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

lepidopteran

Don't forget MD-200, the "Inter-County Connector".  Of course, "connector" isn't really an ordinary street name, but it seems a little unsung for a TOLL expressway.  Same could be said about the "Dulles Greenway", part of VA-267 and also a toll road.

roadman65

Padre Island Drive is one of the Texas freeways that has an ordinary street name to it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 06, 2013, 09:34:32 PM
Don't forget MD-200, the "Inter-County Connector".  Of course, "connector" isn't really an ordinary street name, but it seems a little unsung for a TOLL expressway.  Same could be said about the "Dulles Greenway", part of VA-267 and also a toll road.

Georgia seems to like " xxx Connector"   Around Atlanta they seem to be at least expressways. I know here in Jacksonville we have the "Wonderwood Connector" which is at least an expressway for much of the route.  ( here in Jacksonville Expressway=Freeway for natives, but I mean expressway in the the California sense)

DandyDan

In Omaha, US 6 west of I-680 is officially West Dodge Road, although everyone calls it Dodge Street, largely because it is a westward extension of what is officially Dodge Street.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

roadman65

Jacksonville, Florida did call part of the freeway section of US 1 Alternate the 20th Street Expressway.  20th Street itself was the arterial section that is mainline US 1 after US 1 Alternate ended and continued under I-95 transforming from freeway to street status.  However, the signs on I-95 for US 1 South leading to US 1 Alternate did say 20th Street as well as US 1 Northbound at Exit 354 the transitioning point.

Now that it is all the Martin Luther King Parkway both US 1 and its child, I am sure they do not call that section of freeway the M.L.K Parkway Expressway as Parkway is a common name for a freeway, hence New York State.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

txstateends

In Amarillo, I-27/US 60/US 87 south of I-40 is officially Canyon Drive (although most locals spiff it up a bit, with the majority dubbing it "the E-way"); north of downtown, US 87/US 287 is officially Dumas Drive.  Why the city never updated the names to include their current condition/type, I don't know.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

national highway 1

A few from Sydney
Homebush Bay Dr, Concord
http://goo.gl/maps/l5gCE
Silverwater Rd, Ermington
http://goo.gl/maps/obORQ
Southern Cross Dr, General Holmes Dr and Foreshore Rd near Sydney Airport
http://goo.gl/maps/SXLEM
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

BakoCondors

CA-204 (old US 99) in Bakersfield is a freeway from F Street northwest to its junction with CA-99 west of Airport Drive but to the locals and on the southbound 99 signage it is Golden State Avenue.

Fresno, I believe also has a short stub of old US-99 named Golden State Boulevard, between Ventura Ave & Church Ave, that's darn near a freeway, or at least a very long exit/entrance ramp.

froggie

Quote(Lafayette Freeway),
Courthouse Bouleverd,
Clayton Avenue,
Coates Boulevard,
Emery Avenue,
Rochester Boulevard,
(Highway 52 Boulevard),
(U.S. 52).

Clayton Ave is not official...it refers to the frontage roads, not US 52 itself.  On the other hand, US 52 is Emery Ave through Hampton.

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on May 18, 2013, 03:55:32 AM
Quote(Lafayette Freeway),
Courthouse Bouleverd,
Clayton Avenue,
Coates Boulevard,
Emery Avenue,
Rochester Boulevard,
(Highway 52 Boulevard),
(U.S. 52).

Clayton Ave is not official...it refers to the frontage roads, not US 52 itself.  On the other hand, US 52 is Emery Ave through Hampton.
Doesn't Flint Hills have a Clayton Ave address?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

PAHighways

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2013, 03:49:54 PM
Jacksonville, Florida did call part of the freeway section of US 1 Alternate the 20th Street Expressway.  20th Street itself was the arterial section that is mainline US 1 after US 1 Alternate ended and continued under I-95 transforming from freeway to street status.  However, the signs on I-95 for US 1 South leading to US 1 Alternate did say 20th Street as well as US 1 Northbound at Exit 354 the transitioning point.

Now that it is all the Martin Luther King Parkway both US 1 and its child, I am sure they do not call that section of freeway the M.L.K Parkway Expressway as Parkway is a common name for a freeway, hence New York State.

The freeway portion of US1 was 20th St Expressway on the east-west portion and the Haines St Expressway on the north-south portion.  Haines street expressway has service roads and buesinesses for most of the length but the 20th street expressway did not have services.  When they changed the name to MLK Parkway the service roads were kept as Haines Street so the businesses didn't have to change their addresses

golden eagle

GA 154/166 was known as Langford Parkway, but my American Map atlas shows it named as Lakewood Freeway.

lordsutch

Quote from: golden eagle on May 23, 2013, 10:54:14 PM
GA 154/166 was known as Langford Parkway, but my American Map atlas shows it named as Lakewood Freeway.

It was originally the Lakewood Freeway (and supposed to be part of I-420), now it's Langford Parkway.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.