News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2017 MLB Postseason

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, October 10, 2017, 05:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

We already have two teams into the League Championship Series (or "semi-finals" as I call them), and I'm surprised there's no thread for the Major League Baseball postseason. Perhaps it's because the Cubs hype is gone now that they have claimed a World Series after a century? Anyway, if the Indians manage to beat the Yankees and the Cubs do so with the Nationals I'd be definitely rooting for the American League side in the World Series, as the Indians have now the longest World Series drought and the Astros have never won one.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

74/171FAN

The Cubs hype is not gone if they eliminate the Nationals, which I hope happens as a Braves fan.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

tchafe1978

I'm rooting for whoever plays the Cubs and Yankees. As of right now, that's the Indians and Nationals. I'm predicting the World Series will be the Indians over the Dodgers in 7.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 11, 2017, 04:07:43 PM
I'm rooting for whoever plays the Cubs and Yankees.

This.

Sometimes its more fun to root against a team than to root for a team.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 11, 2017, 05:06:43 PM

This.

That just means your team is sad.

ET21

Quote from: Alps on October 11, 2017, 05:56:37 PM

This.

Not necessarily. There are certain teams that everyone hates, even if you're just a fan of the sport in general.

Clinched:

Henry

I'm rooting for a Cubs/Dodgers NLCS so that there could be a rematch of the two teams from my first two hometowns! (Even after I moved to L.A., I still remained loyal to the Cubs, and that hasn't changed since I moved to Seattle.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

AsphaltPlanet

I'm pretty disappointed that the Yankees beat Cleveland.  I though Cleveland/Houston would have been the best series for the ALCS.

I'm also hoping the Nat's triumph over the Cubs.  The Nat's are due.  It's a near 50 year old franchise and its never even won a pennant.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

oscar

Quote from: Alps on October 11, 2017, 05:56:37 PM

This.

Or it just means you're a negative person.

In pro football, the teams I most strongly root against are in different divisions from the ones I most strongly root for, and some on my root-against list are already out of playoff contention. With my team, the Carolina Panthers, I weakly root against its division rivals, unless the Panthers fall out of playoff contention (like early in the 2016 season) or lock up their division, in which case I don't bother.

For MLB, it's ritual hatred of the Yankees (not that I was a big fan of the Indians). But I was impressed with how they came back and put away the Indians, and hope they don't pull that off against the Astros. In the NL, I'm rooting for the Nats, but even if they beat the Cubs tonight, I'm not optimistic about how they'll fare against the Dodgers.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 12, 2017, 11:12:15 AM
I'm pretty disappointed that the Yankees beat Cleveland.  I though Cleveland/Houston would have been the best series for the ALCS.

I'm also hoping the Nat's triumph over the Cubs.  The Nat's are due.  It's a near 50 year old franchise and its never even won a pennant.
The MLB was hoping for the Yankees. How many Cleveland and Houston fans do you know? Now you have Yankees vs. Yankees haters. Keeps the whole country interested. Definitely the best series for the ALCS. The Cubs are also better for the World Series from that perspective.

Henry

Prepare to be disappointed, Nats fans! It'll be Cubs vs. Dodgers for the second year in a row. Also, Yankees vs. Astros should be one worth watching.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

inkyatari

Why did our (The Cubs) pitching try so hard to lose the game last night?

Our pitching needs serious upgrades in the offseason. I'll be shocked if we get past LA
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2017, 09:12:16 PM

The MLB was hoping for the Yankees. How many Cleveland and Houston fans do you know? Now you have Yankees vs. Yankees haters. Keeps the whole country interested. Definitely the best series for the ALCS. The Cubs are also better for the World Series from that perspective.

While I don't disagree with this sentiment, I'm not sure why my ALCS preferences would need to align with what would maximize ratings from the MLB's perspective.

Certainly I thought two 100-win teams would make for better baseball than only one vs. the wild card team.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ET21

Quote from: inkyatari on October 13, 2017, 09:51:33 AM
Why did our (The Cubs) pitching try so hard to lose the game last night?

Our pitching needs serious upgrades in the offseason. I'll be shocked if we get past LA

John Lackey should be the first to go

Clinched:

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 13, 2017, 10:35:36 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2017, 09:12:16 PM

While I don't disagree with this sentiment, I'm not sure why my ALCS preferences would need to align with what would maximize ratings from the MLB's perspective.

Certainly I thought two 100-win teams would make for better baseball than only one vs. the wild card team.
Depends on your definition of "best".

jp the roadgeek

Well, since my Red Sox put up another stellar postseason performance (enough to get John Farrell the axe), I will be rooting for ABY: A nyone But the Yankees.  Have a good friend that's an Astros fan, so I suppose I'll be pushing for them first, the Dodgers second because of Dave Roberts and his stolen base heard round the world in 04, then the Cubs (Lester, Lackey, Theo), and then the unmentionables.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

NWI_Irish96

Houston could become the first team to ever lose to both the White Sox and Cubs in the World Series.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 14, 2017, 11:24:10 AM
Houston could become the first team to ever lose to both the White Sox and Cubs in the World Series.

They'd also become the first team to represent both the AL and the NL in the World Series.  I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 14, 2017, 11:13:28 AM
Well, since my Red Sox put up another stellar postseason performance (enough to get John Farrell the axe), I will be rooting for ABY: A nyone But the Yankees.  Have a good friend that's an Astros fan, so I suppose I'll be pushing for them first, the Dodgers second because of Dave Roberts and his stolen base heard round the world in 04, then the Cubs (Lester, Lackey, Theo), and then the unmentionables.

I'd root for the Yankees if necessary, something unlikely for the time being. At least there's no team in the MLB named "F"C [sic] Barcelona :bigass:.

However I'm rooting for the Astros to win the World Series, now that the Indians are gone.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DTComposer

I wonder if this is the first playoffs where the final four teams represent the four largest cities (not metros) in the USA (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston)?

In any case, I was trained to dislike the Dodgers, so here's hoping for a 29th year of futility for them.

Henry

Quote from: DTComposer on October 14, 2017, 09:53:35 PM
I wonder if this is the first playoffs where the final four teams represent the four largest cities (not metros) in the USA (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston)?
I believe so.

As a Chicagoan, I was raised to hate all things New York, and so far, so good for the Astros being up 2-0 on the Yankees. And here's to the Cubs turning things around at Wrigley after digging an 0-2 hole against the Dodgers.

Buck87

It is. And it even worked out as if they were seeded by population: 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3

NWI_Irish96

Hasn't happened since Houston became the 4th largest city in 1990:

Houston doesn't have a hockey team so we can rule out that sport automatically
Quick scan of AFC/NFC Championshp games shows no year that all four cities advanced that far
The only Chicago/NY meeting in the NBA Eastern Conference Finals was 1993 and the Western Finals that year was not Houston/LA

Now, I haven't gone back to pre-1990 when Philly was the 4th largest city to see if the NY-LA-Chicago-Philly combination shows up anywhere.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.