News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 14, 2019, 04:36:37 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 14, 2019, 01:14:21 AM
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a happy fall. If you dont know already there has been many projects completed or started in New Castle county.

1. RED MILL RD RECONSTRUCTION. Has been completed. I will take pictures & post the new configuration of the intersection.

2. Limestone road has been repaved from Kirkwood Hwy  To the PA Border. Also in the news the speed limit will be decreased from 50-45.

3. 141 SB RECONSTRUCTION is moving along & the Newark 95 exit has been closed for sometime & they are already pouring concrete for the ramp.

4. Work on DE-1 has begun again, it seems they have started the bridge widening on Road A as well & thats moving along fast.

5. 95 from Concord ave exit to the PA border has been repaved in both directions. Is this what it looked like when it was first built? , marsh road exit is still closed due to a reconstruction & signs along 95 are being updated.

6. Main St RECONSTRUCTION seems to be moving along steadily. Curb bumps have been installed on the left side with new parking ticket machines (like the ones in Philly) the right side is now being finished & pavement all around is getting redone. Many new buildings are also getting renovated as Well.

7. Wilmingtons projects including the new bus station & bridge are moving along. The bridge & 13 intersection are nearing completion. While the new bus terminal is being built & the road in front of the train station has been reconfigured. Talks of Wilmington Parking Authority being ran poorly was in the papers. Ill find the link & post it as Well.

8. Bear De intersection Route 40/7 has been updated with mass arm lights. Cross walks & sidewalks have been added as Well.

9. Wrangle Hill road widening is in full progress from De 1 all the way too porter road. A new business district in the old farm by Red-lion Rd & Wrangle Hill has started construction, as Well as a new Wawa & shopping center on the corner of Red-lion rd & Wrangle Hill Rd. Further down the road @the Route 40 intersection with fox run that intersection is nearing completion as they start the Del Law road reconfiguration.

That is all I can think of for now but its a-lot going on, a sign of progress!!

iPhone

I think they start Elkton Road construction next year - they were doing some sort of work this summer that might have been preparation.  So much for that shunpike starting next year.
I was wondering if they were preparing the area for the widening project. They opened the lanes back up again. So I assume they will start doing some more work again soon.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 14, 2019, 05:51:19 PM
9. Wrangle Hill road widening is in full progress from De 1 all the way too porter road. A new business district in the old farm by Red-lion Rd & Wrangle Hill has started construction, as Well as a new Wawa & shopping center on the corner of Red-lion rd & Wrangle Hill Rd. Further down the road @the Route 40 intersection with fox run that intersection is nearing completion as they start the Del Law road reconfiguration.

IIRC that widening project should only be going from DE 1 to a little beyond DE 71, have they started the actual widening project or are they just doing advanced utility relocations?
They have already moved the utilities back. Put the black protector barrier for run off. & tilled the dirt for the next part. From the looks of it. It looks like the widening is going to about the train tracks. Maybe they will just be doing improvements. But they really have that area staged & ready. I guess we will know when the asphalt is laid.

iPhone

Alex

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a happy fall. If you dont know already there has been many projects completed or started in New Castle county.

5. 95 from Concord ave exit to the PA border has been repaved in both directions. Is this what it looked like when it was first built? , marsh road exit is still closed due to a reconstruction & signs along 95 are being updated.

Not quite, prior to 2000, the 1960s concrete roadway was still in use. Some of the photos on the AARoads Archives:

I-95 north at the Rockwood Road underpass in 1985:

I-95 north at the SR 3 underpass in 1985:

I-95 north at the PA line in 1985:

I-95 south after SR 3 in 1985:

7. Wilmingtons projects including the new bus station & bridge are moving along. The bridge & 13 intersection are nearing completion. While the new bus terminal is being built & the road in front of the train station has been reconfigured. Talks of Wilmington Parking Authority being ran poorly was in the papers. Ill find the link & post it as Well.

What is the status of the Front St/Walnut Street reconfiguration?
https://deldot.gov/projects/index.shtml?dc=details&projectNumber=T201504109

Alex

Found out from Bob that this classic set of signals in Marshallton is no more:

These were recently replaced with mast arm supported signals. This leaves just the 12-8-8 signals at Kiamensi/Newport Roads near Newport and Baynard Boulevard/Shipley Road near Brandywine Hundred as the lone area hold outs.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex on October 15, 2019, 08:51:54 AM

Not quite, prior to 2000, the 1960s concrete roadway was still in use. Some of the photos on the AARoads Archives:

I-95 north at the Rockwood Road underpass in 1985:

I-95 north at the SR 3 underpass in 1985:

I-95 north at the PA line in 1985:

I-95 south after SR 3 in 1985:

What is the status of the Front St/Walnut Street reconfiguration?
https://deldot.gov/projects/index.shtml?dc=details&projectNumber=T201504109

I can take some pics when I head over there again, but it now has 4 lanes & a mastarm set up, the old bend to turn is now being reconstructed aswell.

Edit: Thats interesting. So all roads were originally concrete!? When did asphalt become a thing? 95 really still looks the same to this day. Wow!

iPhone

Alex4897

Alternatives for the latest interchange project along SR 1 have been posted on DelDOT's website, this one being at Cave Neck Road just north of Lewes.

It seems like they're following the same idea as the Minos Conaway Road interchange just to the south by scooting SR 1 off to the side and converting one of the old carriageways into a frontage road for local access. This interchange and the development project to the east that you see marked as "to be built by others" on the plans have been the focus of intense debate about expanding residential and commercial development radiating outward from the beaches.

Project Website
👉😎👉

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 16, 2019, 06:16:43 PM
Alternatives for the latest interchange project along SR 1 have been posted on DelDOT's website, this one being at Cave Neck Road just north of Lewes.

It seems like they're following the same idea as the Minos Conaway Road interchange just to the south by scooting SR 1 off to the side and converting one of the old carriageways into a frontage road for local access. This interchange and the development project to the east that you see marked as "to be built by others" on the plans have been the focus of intense debate about expanding residential and commercial development radiating outward from the beaches.

Project Website

This won't change anything as far as northbound access to Heritage Antiques.  Northbounders will still have to overshoot it  (unless they are nb on the frontage road). :)

But it will change access to the Red Mill Inn.  Right now, northbounders can turn left directly into Red Mill.  This project will cause them to overshoot it too (again, except when on the frontage road northbound).

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ipeters61

Quote from: Alex on October 15, 2019, 11:34:49 PM

These were recently replaced with mast arm supported signals. This leaves just the 12-8-8 signals at Kiamensi/Newport Roads near Newport and Baynard Boulevard/Shipley Road near Brandywine Hundred as the lone area hold outs.
There's also this assembly on Foulk Road (DE-261) at Brandywine High School.  I was there probably 2 months ago and it was still around.  I doubt it's been replaced.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex4897

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 18, 2019, 02:23:23 PM
Quote from: Alex on October 15, 2019, 11:34:49 PM

There's also this assembly on Foulk Road (DE-261) at Brandywine High School.  I was there probably 2 months ago and it was still around.  I doubt it's been replaced.

The Kiamensi Road signals are likely on their last legs, they've been set to flash for the past year or so with signs posted at the intersection saying the signal is under study for removal.
👉😎👉

ipeters61

3. 141 SB RECONSTRUCTION is moving along & the Newark 95 exit has been closed for sometime & they are already pouring concrete for the ramp.
Something I noticed on DE-141 SB today at I-95 SB was that there appeared to be a traffic signal assembly installed where the I-95 SB to DE-141 SB ramp merges with DE-141.  I'm not sure what this will be used for, but the I-287 EB/Hutchinson Parkway interchange in the White Plains NY area came to mind (they have lights at that interchange I'm assuming to prevent weaving).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 19, 2019, 03:36:25 PM
Something I noticed on DE-141 SB today at I-95 SB was that there appeared to be a traffic signal assembly installed where the I-95 SB to DE-141 SB ramp merges with DE-141.  I'm not sure what this will be used for, but the I-287 EB/Hutchinson Parkway interchange in the White Plains NY area came to mind (they have lights at that interchange I'm assuming to prevent weaving).
I was wondering that aswell. Maybe thats what its for good call. We will know when its finished. Unless it's temporary for night construction.

Also 295 in Nj by the Mega Weave has a light right before the tunnel, is this to stop people from going into the tunnel incase of back ups?

iPhone

Alex4897

Given the proximity to the bridge over I-95 / 295 NB, I'm assuming SR 141's two lanes will be split to the outsides of the bridge while construction crews work in the center, and that the temporary signal will alternate traffic going through that right-hand chute over the bridge. I'd have to find construction plans somewhere to be sure though.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 19, 2019, 03:41:02 PM
I was wondering that aswell. Maybe thats what its for good call. We will know when its finished. Unless it's temporary for night construction.

Also 295 in Nj by the Mega Weave has a light right before the tunnel, is this to stop people from going into the tunnel incase of back ups?

iPhone

That light on 295 in NJ is in case of a major incident within the tunnel, such as a fire, to keep people from traveling into the tunnel.

Otherwise, that tunnel experiences congestion on a daily basis as traffic goes from 5 lanes to 3 about 1/2 mile after the tunnel!

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 19, 2019, 05:58:04 PM

iPhone

That light on 295 in NJ is in case of a major incident within the tunnel, such as a fire, to keep people from traveling into the tunnel.

Otherwise, that tunnel experiences congestion on a daily basis as traffic goes from 5 lanes to 3 about 1/2 mile after the tunnel!

Uh.... where *is* the Mega Weave?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on October 19, 2019, 09:05:33 PM

iPhone

ixnay
From context, just north of 76/42.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on October 19, 2019, 09:05:33 PM

iPhone

ixnay

The weave, as it as known, is long gone. Formerly traffic merging between 295 and 42/76 weaved between lanes in less than a distance of 1/4 mile. That issue has long been eliminated.  Today, traffic on 295 still weaves in that it has the sharp 35 mph curves as it parallels 42/76, but the exits and entrances are more standard ramp merges now.

Alex4897

I was digging through bids on DelDOT's website at work earlier today and came across some interesting details concerning the latter half of the SR 141 / I-95 interchange improvements project. It turns out the plan is to basically separate and extend I-295 SB through the interchange to a merge point near the "sand box." At the same time, I-95 SB will be widened to 4 lanes from the gore at Exit 5 through to the new merge point with I-295 SB. After everything finishes merging in, I-95 will have 4 through lanes continue through the marsh while I-295 will have, with its left lane ending prior to the Christina River. The split at Exit 5 will be updated to include an option lane to accommodate the new lane on I-95 SB. The end result will be 8 lanes total passing beneath SR 141, 2 lanes of I-295, 4 lanes of I-95, and another 2 lanes of CD road for Exit 5.

The general layout will look like this:

Source:
http://gssdocs.deldot.delaware.gov/bids/T201109001%20-%20Plans.pdf

I'm pretty surprised I'm just finding out about this now given how big this is for the interstate, I don't believe DelDOT ever marketed this aspect of the project anywhere unless they've been skimping out on uploading workshop documents to the website. Interestingly enough, I think the section of roadway where I-295 and both ramps from SR 141 merge onto I-95 will qualify for the widest segment of standalone carriageway in the state (aside toll plazas) at 8 full width lanes (granted this section doesn't last long as the ramps from SR 141 merge into one lane after a few hundred feet).
👉😎👉

MASTERNC

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 22, 2019, 06:15:31 PM
I was digging through bids on DelDOT's website at work earlier today and came across some interesting details concerning the latter half of the SR 141 / I-95 interchange improvements project. It turns out the plan is to basically separate and extend I-295 SB through the interchange to a merge point near the "sand box." At the same time, I-95 SB will be widened to 4 lanes from the gore at Exit 5 through to the new merge point with I-295 SB. After everything finishes merging in, I-95 will have 4 through lanes continue through the marsh while I-295 will have, with its left lane ending prior to the Christina River. The split at Exit 5 will be updated to include an option lane to accommodate the new lane on I-95 SB. The end result will be 8 lanes total passing beneath SR 141, 2 lanes of I-295, 4 lanes of I-95, and another 2 lanes of CD road for Exit 5.

Source:

I'm pretty surprised I'm just finding out about this now given how big this is for the interstate, I don't believe DelDOT ever marketed this aspect of the project anywhere unless they've been skimping out on uploading workshop documents to the website. Interestingly enough, I think the section of roadway where I-295 and both ramps from SR 141 merge onto I-95 will qualify for the widest segment of standalone carriageway in the state (aside toll plazas) at 8 full width lanes (granted this section doesn't last long as the ramps from SR 141 merge into one lane after a few hundred feet).

I'd rather them build a flyover from I-295 to the right side of I-95 for beach traffic to eliminate all the weaving over the Marsh.  They should also separate out I-295 earlier going northbound (though that could just move the backups further south).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 22, 2019, 09:07:38 PM

I'd rather them build a flyover from I-295 to the right side of I-95 for beach traffic to eliminate all the weaving over the Marsh.  They should also separate out I-295 earlier going northbound (though that could just move the backups further south).

Yeah, the backup location would just change.  The ramp from 141 South to 295 North also doesn't have an accel lane which causes confusion and slowdowns as well.  The real issue for 95 North is that there's only 2 lanes for 295 North.  Not a problem Monday - Thursday.  A horrendous problem Friday - Sunday.  The new 141 overpass allows for such widening; the former construction of the barrier on 295 approaching US 13 allows for such widening as well.  But as far as I know the DRBA has no such plans to complete the widening process for any time in the near future.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 22, 2019, 06:15:31 PM

Source:

This is true. But the time for that was in the 50's when they built the highway. The best they can do now is fix the merges or make this whole area a 3-3-3-3 Config.

I think the new deldot site also isnt fully finished because all the project stuff you could see on the old one. Now you cant see anything on the new one.

iPhone

Roadsguy

Looking further down in those plans, I notice that the new signage for DE 141 omits US 202. Is DelDOT planning to truncate 202 to the interchange north of Wilmington, or are they just de-emphasizing it?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2019, 09:16:44 PM

Yeah, the backup location would just change.  The ramp from 141 South to 295 North also doesn't have an accel lane which causes confusion and slowdowns as well.  The real issue for 95 North is that there's only 2 lanes for 295 North.  Not a problem Monday - Thursday.  A horrendous problem Friday - Sunday.  The new 141 overpass allows for such widening; the former construction of the barrier on 295 approaching US 13 allows for such widening as well.  But as far as I know the DRBA has no such plans to complete the widening process for any time in the near future.
Shit before they fix that NB295 141 Lane. They will have to fix the back up that happens on the curve before the bridge. The slowdown that occurs before & after the bridge even though there is no traffic is confusing, 295 on the jersey side is always clear. But traffic slows down. Is that due to State troopers being more aggressive then a black wasp or people merging ?

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2019, 09:16:44 PM
The new 141 overpass allows for such widening; the former construction of the barrier on 295 approaching US 13 allows for such widening as well.  But as far as I know the DRBA has no such plans to complete the widening process for any time in the near future.

DelDOT's latest spend plan has what I can only assume is widening tentatively slated to begin along I-295 NB between SR 141 and US 13 in FY26.
See rows 90-95: https://deldot.gov/Publications/reports/CTP/pdfs/CTP-FY20-FY26-Spend-Plan-COT-Revised.pdf?cache=1571798452414

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 22, 2019, 09:24:52 PM
Looking further down in those plans, I notice that the new signage for DE 141 omits US 202. Is DelDOT planning to truncate 202 to the interchange north of Wilmington, or are they just de-emphasizing it?
I've not seen any official chatter about truncation, but there's already precedent for truncating more useful US route designations elsewhere in the state, see US 113 from Milford to Dover for instance.  Given how I rarely if ever hear anybody outside of here refer to anything south of Concord Pike as US 202, it's certainly a possibility.

This reminded me of something else I stumbled upon today, the bridge twinning project on Road A over SR 1 by the Christiana Mall seems to be further de-emphasizing SR 1's short trek beyond I-95 to SR 58. The signing and striping plans on pages 130-137 of the link below show a couple of distant references to SR 1 NB past Road A, but none of the signage directly adjacent to the ramps includes any mention of it. Only SR 7 NB and directions to I-95 are referenced. DelDOT's going as far as to post a new 'SR 1 Ends' sign just prior to the new overpass.

http://gssdocs.deldot.delaware.gov/bids/T201009002%20-%20Plans.pdf
👉😎👉

NJRoadfan

Isn't that part of I-295 maintained by the DRBA? They had mileposts there at one time, but no clear jurisdictional markers that I can recall.

Alex4897

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 22, 2019, 11:56:03 PM
Isn't that part of I-295 maintained by the DRBA? They had mileposts there at one time, but no clear jurisdictional markers that I can recall.

I believe DRBA jurisdiction starts at US 13 / 40 interchange, which would make sense given that's where the Delaware Memorial Bridge approaches initially dumped you prior to the interstates being built.
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.