News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CONELRAD

Started by 02 Park Ave, October 02, 2018, 07:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on October 03, 2018, 01:59:22 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2018, 12:55:16 PM
The reason why people disable these warnings is due to inappropriate warnings sent out. 

The reason I disable them is because I don't care about them.  If I want weather alerts, then I'll turn on the radio.  I never pay attention to the amber and silver and chartreuse and periwinkle alerts on VMSes while I'm driving, so I'm sure as heck not going to worry about them when I'm not.

I just hate receiving things I never asked for.  Junk mail, neighborhood newspapers, advertisements, weather alerts, messages from the President, etc, etc.  If I want them, then I'll subscribe to them.  Otherwise, leave me the heck alone.

And get off my lawn, y' dang whippersnappers!

That's the reason I have them turned off on my phones (personal and work). I have a multitude of sources from whence information comes. And I'm generally not interested in the AMBER Alerts, because they tend to show up in areas that are not geographically germane to me. People in this area routinely get them from West Virginia and Tennessee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dcharlie

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Well crap, I was reading this and so didn't notice the time......

My wife's phone was on silent, and hers didn't make a sound.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

I got the alert, but instead of the wonky tone, the phone acted like it was on vibrate - even though it isn't.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheHighwayMan3561

I had my phone on airplane mode and never received it after switching it off.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

I got it both on my current phone, and on a phone I had just received in the mail and have not put onto a network yet, though it is on my WiFi.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

My phone was on vibrate and it vibrated in the same cadence as the EAS alerts on radio and television.

I used to get AMBER/weather alerts on my phone, but I don't any more, and I didn't do anything to disable them. It suits me just fine, since they used to scare the bejeezus out of me, and I still get the weather alerts via The Weather Channel app.

Apropos of nothing, Do Not Disturb mode on the iPhone is a beautiful thing when you have a three-month-old baby and occasionally go to sleep at 7 pm.

Big John

Got it on my cell phone, then a few minutes later on my TV

catch22

Got it on my phone precisely at 2:18.  Wife's phone received it at 2:29 (both AT&T).

ce929wax

I did not get one on my phone.  I have Straight Talk wireless. 

J N Winkler

I got the alert (Android phone, not rooted, connected to wifi, Verizon).

In regard to the discussion upthread, I think much of the grief about this being a "Presidential" alert could have been avoided by using a different word or phrase that makes it clear the message has been sent out with appropriate authority and is critically important.  The word "Presidential" by itself explains little but invites people to conclude the system is available at the whim of the sitting President, which legally is not the case.

With all the thought and advance planning that has gone into designing this system, one wonders why this issue was not addressed long ago.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jon daly

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 02, 2018, 07:24:21 PM
There will be a CONELRAD-type test on your smart phone tomorrow, 03 October, afternoon.

My dumb phone got it, too.

Beltway

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 03, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
Yes, it was a generic test message.  I wonder if it represents a missed opportunity to inform the public as to just how grave an event would have to be to trigger a non-test message through this channel.

Bologna.  I heard the alert at 2:18 pm on local AM radio WRVA 1140.  No conspiracy theories involved.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

I've done my best to remove political content from this thread to keep it going, since it's an interesting discussion - so many people received the alert late, or not at all. I got it right away along with a handful of other phones around the office, but not as many as I'd have expected. Some got it over the next 20 minutes or so, and many never got it. I wish I had a setting to disable these, but I do wonder what the cutoff is for who gets it or not. Something the government ought to look into if it's going to keep this system active.

(Re: politics: This system was established under previous administrations and just has to be tested every 3 years. That's it. Nothing political about the test, and let's not discuss the system itself since, as noted, it's never been used.)

slorydn1

Yeah they forgot us that work nights. I was blasted out of a deep sleep by this crap, 2 hours before I needed to get up.

They need to do things like this either mid morning or mid evening when the people who are getting up are up and the people who are going to bed haven' gone to sleep yet.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Alps on October 03, 2018, 11:52:18 PM
so many people received the alert late, or not at all. I got it right away along with a handful of other phones around the office, but not as many as I'd have expected. Some got it over the next 20 minutes or so, and many never got it. I wish I had a setting to disable these, but I do wonder what the cutoff is for who gets it or not. Something the government ought to look into if it's going to keep this system active.

I either didn't get it or it didn't leave a notification. I was asleep (and my phone silenced) when it was supposed to be broadcast, and when I checked my phone this evening I didn't see anything.

Quote from: slorydn1 on October 03, 2018, 11:59:05 PM
Yeah they forgot us that work nights. I was blasted out of a deep sleep by this crap, 2 hours before I needed to get up.

They need to do things like this either mid morning or mid evening when the people who are getting up are up and the people who are going to bed haven' gone to sleep yet.

I'm with you. We're an unfortunate minority.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Alps on October 03, 2018, 11:52:18 PMI wish I had a setting to disable these, but I do wonder what the cutoff is for who gets it or not.

Since the carriers are evidently not allowed to distribute phones that have the capability to block alerts at this level, there is no cutoff as such.  Jailbreaking or rooting the phone to block them is a DIY solution with all the risks that that entails.

As for alerts arriving at inopportune times, I rarely have that problem since I do not have to be on call and, at home, do not sleep in the same room as my phone.  I can't remember if I blocked NWS and amber alerts the last time I trawled through phone settings.  I tend to find NWS alerts unhelpful even though I live in tornado country, and because I never use my phone when driving except for emergency map consults at stoplights, amber alerts usually arrive when I am off the road and have no opportunity to observe the license plate in question.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

abefroman329

Quote from: slorydn1 on October 03, 2018, 11:59:05 PM

There's no such thing as a "good"  time to test the system. I am sorry the test took place at an inopportune time for you. My phone was on vibrate and did not emit any noises, just vibrations. I'm not sure what would have happened if it was on DND, and I highly recommend this mode or its equivalent on non-iPhones. I'm reluctant to use it in case a really important call or text or email comes in, but sometimes it's a really good thing to be shut off from the outside world.

hbelkins

My experience:

I have two iPhones, a personal phone (AT&T) and a work phone (Verizon, which roams off Appalachian Wireless in this area.)

Around 2:15, I turned both phones off, as I didn't want to be bothered.

At 2:18, I heard a bunch of phones going off around my office.

A few minutes later, I turned my phones back on. Immediately upon doing so, the alert came through on my AT&T phone. It did not on the Verizon phone.

Interestingly, the alerts are not sent to cellular-enabled iPads. Neither my personal iPad (AT&T) nor my work iPad (Verizon) sounded it.

kphoger

I'm just still ticked that I forgot to turn my phone off.  I would have left it off for one hour, till after the end of the transmission period.  Now I guess I'll have to wait another three years to see if that works.....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

Many of these comments about "Oh, I shut my phone off because I didn't want to get the message."  demonstrate the sheer idiocy of giving such intense advance publicity for a test of an emergency alert system - I know, it wasn't so much the government, but the MSM latching on to the non-story.  And, in a radio report this morning about "what did you think of the test?", somebody was quoted as saying "If it's a really big disaster like a full scale nuclear attack or an asteroid on a collision course with Earth, do we really want to be informed of our impending doom before hand?"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

I should have qualified my comment upthread by saying that I have no idea whether my phone rang.  I was aware the alert came through only because I have my phone sitting on a charger next to my computer, and I noticed the screen coming on and displaying the message.  I don't even know whether the phone vibrated since it sits on top of a stack of optical disks, not on my computer desk.

I believe I have my phone configured to vibrate only.  I say "believe" because the volume is dialed down as far as it will go on and I see just a "shaking phone" icon.  If the phone is lying to me about being correctly configured not to ring, I will not know it unless I am told my phone is ringing in a setting where ringing phones are deemed socially unacceptable.  Because I do not routinely carry my phone in contact with any part of my body, I tend not to receive alerts through vibrations and I try not to encourage people to expect me to respond immediately to texts unless there is at least some informal advance arrangement for me to be on call.

hbelkins

One of my points about the whole episode is that it's unnecessary. You can turn "Government Alerts" and "AMBER Alerts" off, but not these. The truth is that if something big happens, there are a plethora of other sources that are going to convey that information without having an alert from which you can't opt out. If another 9/11 happens, my social media feeds are going to go haywire, I'm going to get a bunch of work-related emails regarding the situation, and so on. That's why I opted out of the alerts that I could. I'm going to hear severe weather alerts from a number of sources, and the AMBER Alerts around here tend not to just be local ones, but from other states as well. There's little chance of a kid kidnapped in Sullivan County, Tenn., showing up in Lee County, Ky.

J N Winkler

If the first notice a reasonably alert person who follows the news has of a major national emergency is a Presidential Alert on his or her phone, then that in itself is a serious problem, quite aside from the emergency itself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.