AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-73 in VA  (Read 141157 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 07:33:18 PM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #850 on: April 18, 2021, 10:52:39 PM »

I understand US-58 is technically "complete" between Stuart and I-64, but I wish they could dedicate some of those annual funds towards further upgrades on the portion east of I-95, specifically constructing a new alignment between Holland and Suffolk, and upgrading US-58 between the Suffolk Bypass and Bowers Hill to interstate standards. A wish list would say upgrade the entire segment east of I-95 to interstate standards, but the segment east of Holland needs to be addressed sooner rather than later and is not even a real project at this point - merely spot improvements to the existing, non-limited-access, traffic signal infested roadway - and a widening project closer to Suffolk which is not a long-term solution for a major freight corridor. Shows the planning efforts on Virginia's part.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: April 18, 2021, 11:02:16 PM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #851 on: April 18, 2021, 11:02:16 PM »

I understand US-58 is technically "complete" between Stuart and I-64, but I wish they could dedicate some of those annual funds towards further upgrades on the portion east of I-95, specifically constructing a new alignment between Holland and Suffolk, and upgrading US-58 between the Suffolk Bypass and Bowers Hill to interstate standards. A wish list would say upgrade the entire segment east of I-95 to interstate standards, but the segment east of Holland needs to be addressed sooner rather than later and is not even a real project at this point - merely spot improvements to the existing, non-limited-access, traffic signal infested roadway - and a widening project closer to Suffolk which is not a long-term solution for a major freight corridor. Shows the planning efforts on Virginia's part.

Not to get too off topic here but yeah I definitely think that the choice to widen that portion of US-58 west of Suffolk rather than build a bypass was a mistake.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.