Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Ohio

<< < (106/119) > >>

GCrites80s:
Right, back then Glendale-Milford Road was OH-126 (instead of Cross County) and the idea was to run Cross County/Reagan all the way to US-50 so that the current 2-lane section of OH-126 would travel on the all-new 4-lane alignment and what is still non-Reagan 126 today would be downgraded to local control. But Indian Hill probably wouldn't want anything like that and possibly Milford as well.

frankenroad:

--- Quote from: TempoNick on July 04, 2021, 02:28:48 AM ---Pet Peeve:

Ohio always botches signs. They can't seem to keep the US and Ohio route shields straight! Do other states also botch their signs as much as Ohio does?

--- End quote ---

Ohio is by far the worst at that.  The most egregious one was when the sign for I-71 SOUTH at Williams Ave (Smith/Edwards interchange) was labeled as OH-71.  It lasted a good 2-3 years before it was corrected.

SkyPesos:
I sent an email to ODOT about 2 weeks ago asking why three numbering designations (OH 161/37/16) is needed for the (mostly freeway) I-270 to Coshocton corridor. This is how they responded:

--- Quote ---If there is an intersection of two like routes (e.g. two state routes) and one of the routes end at that intersection, then the lowered number route is continued and the higher numbered route ends.  In this instance, where SR 161 and SR 37 intersect; SR 161 “ends” since SR 37 is a higher priority route (i.e. the number is lower).
--- End quote ---
I didn't know about that rule. This may work better in states that reserves 2 digit routes for longer/more important routes (like Indiana, Florida, etc), but Ohio isn't one of them, and we have "major" state routes like OH 5 with countless 3 digit state routes that are longer than it. Also, my idea of putting OH 161 on a concurrency with OH 37 so it can end at OH 16 (therefore only needing two continuous numbering designations for the freeway corridor) isn't something new to the state either. See OH 32/125. If it went by the "lower numbered route have continuation at a terminus of one of the two routes" rule the state uses, that means OH 125 should be ending at the trumpet interchange where it intersects OH 32, and OH 32 should be the sole route continuing west to US 50.

vtk:
Move SR 16 off of Broad St and onto the New Albany – Granville freeway, and then you'd have just one number for the freeway, and the lower-numbered route on the more major highway link to Columbus

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: vtk on July 19, 2021, 09:24:22 PM ---Move SR 16 off of Broad St and onto the New Albany – Granville freeway, and then you'd have just one number for the freeway, and the lower-numbered route on the more major highway link to Columbus

--- End quote ---
I suggested swapping 16 and 161 west of Granville so 16 is the single number designation on the freeway in fictional highways a couple of times, and in that email too. The person that responded to my email didn't respond to my swap idea, so I guess that renumbering state routes is more tedious nowadays compared to 50 years ago? Not sure if it's better for me to reply to the email with that and some other related questions, or just leave it there.

If "lower numbered route gets continuation at a terminus" is really that big of an issue, truncate this fictional 16 at OH 4, and have whatever is left of OH 161 west of there be OH 461 or OH 861.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version