Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Ohio

<< < (110/115) > >>

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: TempoNick on August 11, 2021, 12:59:33 AM ---
--- Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 19, 2021, 11:23:53 PM ---Franklin County & Pataskala (in Licking Co) are not going to give up any state mileage to sort out a numbering issue out near Granville.
Unless someone(s) want to payoff ODOT....

--- End quote ---

I was just learning about the Avenue of the Saints, the route from St. Louis to St. Paul. I have driven much of it before, but I didn't realize it was supposed to be a highway to connect the two cities. Because of the mishmash of numbers it carried (US 218 and US 18 among others), Iowa gave it a consistent number, Iowa 27. It is also known as Missouri 27 for much of the road in that state.

--- End quote ---

The Avenue of the Saints was just a marketing gimmick to attract more road funding to the states in question.  There really wasn't a glaring need to have a dedicated corridor between the two cities, just like there wasn't one between Chicago and Kansas City.

skluth:

--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 11, 2021, 09:33:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: TempoNick on August 11, 2021, 12:59:33 AM ---
--- Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 19, 2021, 11:23:53 PM ---Franklin County & Pataskala (in Licking Co) are not going to give up any state mileage to sort out a numbering issue out near Granville.
Unless someone(s) want to payoff ODOT....

--- End quote ---

I was just learning about the Avenue of the Saints, the route from St. Louis to St. Paul. I have driven much of it before, but I didn't realize it was supposed to be a highway to connect the two cities. Because of the mishmash of numbers it carried (US 218 and US 18 among others), Iowa gave it a consistent number, Iowa 27. It is also known as Missouri 27 for much of the road in that state.

--- End quote ---

The Avenue of the Saints was just a marketing gimmick to attract more road funding to the states in question.  There really wasn't a glaring need to have a dedicated corridor between the two cities, just like there wasn't one between Chicago and Kansas City.

--- End quote ---

The Avenue of the Saints is a marketing gimmick, granted. But as someone who lived in St Louis for about three decades, I disagree about the need. MSP and STL are the two largest metro areas between Chicago and Denver. I have a brother in Mpls and I noticed traffic increasing over the years which merited the improvement of the corridor to a non-stop four-lane highway. It's a lot different that the KC-Chicago corridor which was already well served with I-35/ US 36/ I-55 not to mention I-70/ 270/ 55 between the two cities. The Avenue of the Saints reduces the best four-lane routing from the I-55/39/90/94 corridor's 620 miles to 559 miles.

SkyPesos:
Found this when browsing a list of ODOT Cincinnati area projects: A proposal for a potential new interchange at I-75 and Milliken Rd (MM 26, between OH 129 and OH 63 interchanges).

TempoNick:

--- Quote from: skluth on August 11, 2021, 04:45:37 PM ---
The Avenue of the Saints is a marketing gimmick, granted. But as someone who lived in St Louis for about three decades, I disagree about the need. MSP and STL are the two largest metro areas between Chicago and Denver. I have a brother in Mpls and I noticed traffic increasing over the years which merited the improvement of the corridor to a non-stop four-lane highway. It's a lot different that the KC-Chicago corridor which was already well served with I-35/ US 36/ I-55 not to mention I-70/ 270/ 55 between the two cities. The Avenue of the Saints reduces the best four-lane routing from the I-55/39/90/94 corridor's 620 miles to 559 miles.

--- End quote ---

More important than any connection to St. Paul, it gives Quincy, IL and Hannibal, MO highway access and a more direct route to St. Louis, Des Moines & Ames (via US-34, US-63 and Iowa 163), Iowa City. Waterloo, Dubuque and Cedar Rapids. These are pretty relevant cities in the region that you would want to get to.

The wife is from Sioux Falls so I make the trip between Columbus and Sioux Falls every so often by car, with various detours to explore some of these towns. She has no patience for this so she flies.

Did I mention how much I hate all these inconsistent road numbers?

Buck87:
On I-90/OH 2 in Sheffield there is a pair of bridges over a railroad track being worked on between OH 611 and OH 254. These will be the last pair of bridges to be redone between OH 611 and the I-90/OH 2 split in Elyria. All the others were made wide enough to be able to accommodate 3 lanes (and are currently carrying 2), so I would assume this pair will as well.

Now that the final pair of bridges are being made wide enough, I wonder how long it will be before the 6 laning of I-90 is extended further west from where it currently ends at OH 611 to the OH 2 split.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version