Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

MDOT Transferring M-37 to Grand Traverse County Road Commission?

<< < (4/5) > >>

TheHighwayMan394:

--- Quote from: Flint1979 on May 10, 2021, 09:32:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 10, 2021, 07:25:45 PM ---Why does the "Pure Michigan Byway" designation factor in? Minnesota has plenty of designated scenic routes on county roads.

--- End quote ---
Because a Pure Michigan Byway has to be on a state trunkline highway.

--- End quote ---

That settles that then. It sounds like MDOT is stuck with it then unless they carve out an exception, or remove the designation.

Flint1979:
I wish Michigan would come up with a new marketing thing other than this Pure Michigan crap. It was started by Jennifer Granholm so consider the source. It's basically either a scenic, recreational or historic route that represents the cultural of Michigan. It's actually difficult to become a Pure Michigan Byway as I think there are only 20 routes listed as of right now. Most of them I believe follow multiple highways I've never really followed one but I've been on several.

NE2:

--- Quote from: Flint1979 on May 10, 2021, 10:30:15 PM ---It was started by Jennifer Granholm so consider the source.

--- End quote ---
???

JoePCool14:

--- Quote from: skluth on May 10, 2021, 07:15:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 10, 2021, 06:38:19 PM ---If M-37 north of Traverse City were removed from the state highway system, I wouldn't give it another designation (state or county). I would include signage saying "To Mission Point Lighthouse" at the Front St./Garfield Ave. intersection.

--- End quote ---
That probably won't go over well with the wineries and other vacation destinations on the peninsula. I know Michigan isn't much on highways below the state highway tier. But tourists like easy to follow numbers and designations. They may not bother to visit if the "How to get here" includes things like "Turn left on Peninsula Drive and drive four miles after it becomes Center Road." Even in the era of GPS, vacationers will only drive so far off the main road, especially if it involves more than one or two roads. I would still give it a local auxiliary number.

--- End quote ---

If it were to have been transferred, I'd probably want it numbered CR-37 for consistency purposes.

Also, I actually support the road remaining under MDOT control. Just because it goes up a peninsula doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. Another example would be WI-42 across the lake. Or M-183 in the UP.

Flint1979:
M-183 serves a state park though while M-37 doesn't. I think M-37 should be kept as is though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version